• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: 5-19-18, Mainly Ellis County back roads

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
I know this is last minute but I'm thinking about riding a bunch of back roads in the Ellis Co. area. I'll be leaving from the Exxon station at FM 157 & FM 66 in Maypearl about 8:30 am on my Tenere.

Looking to take 3 or 4 bikes along. I've seen some new people on the list like Waldo who were wanting to test their bikes out. This will be a mix of paved, unpaved and hopefully a little over grown two track as well.

If you're wanting to see if you like or can even handle gravel roads this is not for you. This is in no way a race but I like to move along at a some times brisk pace. So if you want to see the area and have average to above skills come on out. Good bikes for this would be anywhere from a DRZ 400 to a 1200 GS.

Mac....you kno Id be there...if I werent here... These Gold Wing rallys sure are different than a Ten Strom A Thon
Lots o sittn n vistin... But Im sellin a few maps

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Mac....you kno Id be there...if I werent here... These Gold Wing rallys sure are different than a Ten Strom A Thon
Lots o sittn n vistin... But Im sellin a few maps

I guess I missed it. At a Wing rally? Where? You'd look good on a 2018. :eek2:

Texas District Wing Road Riders
Ive been a vendor at the local rally in Harker Heights for several years now so they invited me to the much bigger state rally in Brenham (Im actually stayin in Hempstead so as to have a reason to ride some nice county roads gettn to from & the rally each day) & its le$$ to sleep

Hemp

Thank you MacDaddy for posting this. I was planning on running around Maypearl again this Saturday so I may try to join you. My bike is a 2009 Versys 650. I have shinko 705 tires on it so I may be able to follow along and maybe not.

I know I don't have any skills, but along with that, I have very few reservations as I don't have any idea what my limits are.

Jarrett has told me about a few small dirt roads down that way, but they seem to be spread apart with a fair amount of pavement in between. Hopefully I can mark a few on my GPS to find again later.

Wish I could make it.. Maybe next time.
How have you been?

You're right Janet, maybe next time. I'ts been forever. I ran into one of your co-workers at Firearms Instructor school in Midlothian (DeSoto PD hosted) a few months back.

Thank you MacDaddy for posting this. I was planning on running around Maypearl again this Saturday so I may try to join you. My bike is a 2009 Versys 650. I have shinko 705 tires on it so I may be able to follow along and maybe not.

I know I don't have any skills, but along with that, I have very few reservations as I don't have any idea what my limits are.

Jarrett has told me about a few small dirt roads down that way, but they seem to be spread apart with a fair amount of pavement in between. Hopefully I can mark a few on my GPS to find again later.

I like your logic on the limits thing. :lol2: BTW I'm running the stock tires with less tread blocks than you have. A real 90/10 tire. You know where we'll be in the morning.

I'd be there if not for a previous engagement in Clifton on skinnier tires and less horsepower.

I'm down for the next one. Y'all have fun. Someone post a GPX file.

Jared, MacDaddy is cool, you should go. He won't leave you in a ditch... I don't think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested. How long do you expect to ride?

Have some things I need to get done tomorrow so I can't ride all day but it sounds like fun and I think I could break free in the morning. (and I could always break off early and head home as well if the route stays reasonably close to south side of the metromess)

MacDaddy,

I am in the process of relocating to Ellis County and would like to see your route suggestions for future reference. Can you post the good roads in the area?

-Jeff

ok. I think it will take me about 30-40 minutes to get to there from my house. If you don't see me, then I'm either late or not going to make it. Don't wait up to start on my behalf.

I work nights and I just recently got home for the day. Sleep is calling from the distance.

My bike is due for an oil change so maybe after the ride someone can tell me what not to do if they are feeling nice. I've got a filter, now just need magic or jedi powers to get this done. (It is something that I intend to do tomorrow either way. Never done it on this bike so new experience.)

Jarrett, I think most of the active members on this forum would at minimum take a picture of me in the ditch before riding off so I'm fairly certain I'll be okay.

Last edited:
Interested. How long do you expect to ride?

Have some things I need to get done tomorrow so I can't ride all day but it sounds like fun and I think I could break free in the morning. (and I could always break off early and head home as well if the route stays reasonably close to south side of the metromess)

Not sure how long we'll be. I don't know a time frame but I was thinking we'd be done around 2. Its starting to get warm and I don't want to out to late. Like you said, you can break off anytime you want. The thing is I never know how long its going to take for a small group to get somewhere. We're going to work our way over near Mertens if you want to look that up on Googlemaps. More or less a little south of Italy.

MacDaddy,

I am in the process of relocating to Ellis County and would like to see your route suggestions for future reference. Can you post the good roads in the area?

-Jeff

Yes I will in a day or two. Like Notyou83 I currently work nights and just got up and have something to attend to so it will have to be later. Are you talking dirty roads or what?

Sounds good. Planning to get up and join you so I should be there by 8:30. Don't wait on me though. I'll be on time or I won't be coming.

Can't stand making people wait on me.

Notyou83,

a99353e6562f729fc0cd18f38d7043da.jpg

30c50cbca3a1d28d83b1b303ed5aff71.jpg

c6c9715792d74ab483e9e765dab4be74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed your post I would love to go but I’m too late, please keep me in mind for future rides.

Thanks Waldo

The dynamic duo.

There were 3 of us on the ride today. More of a threeso.......

Nevermind.

It was a lot of fun. I learned how to somersault at about 15-20 miles an hour. Lots of thanks to MacDaddy for leading and 2WheelNut for keeping an eye on me.

Back