• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Christmas to New Years

Unfortunately I've never been. I see all type bikes, is a big adventure bike or small d/s best bet?

If you have the time to stay for more than a few days, and can haul both, I would. There are some really nice roads to explore...and a bunch of dirt jeep roads in both the national park & even more in the state park. That place is so vast, desolate, and beautiful, it is a must see / must ride in my book. If you don't have at least have a little DS bike, you will want to kick yourself for sure.

Unfortunately I've never been. I see all type bikes, is a big adventure bike or small d/s best bet?

I have had fun on both. When I first started riding the parks, all I had was the 12GS. Rode all the NP park roads and some of the State Park roads, and that was before they were as well maintained as they are now. The other nice thing was running 170 Casa Piedra and Pinto Canyon, not to mention Davis Mountains.

Now is you just plan on riding dirt and not venture too far from base, a light DS is the ticket. I agree with the above, both is even better. :rider:

IMG_2010r_zps1d8209f9.jpg

If you have the time to stay for more than a few days, and can haul both, I would. There are some really nice roads to explore...and a bunch of dirt jeep roads in both the national park & even more in the state park. That place is so vast, desolate, and beautiful, it is a must see / must ride in my book. If you don't have at least have a little DS bike, you will want to kick yourself for sure.

You going?

Not certain I'm going yet, but am considering it. Gotta see who is going where for the holidays. Would like to have some of my kids join me out there. We went last year, all camped together and really enjoyed it. Pretty sure they would be game for another trip.
Also depends on weather, if it turns out to be a mild week in the Ozarks, we might do holidays up on the ranch. But ONLY if it is warm enough for riding up there. If not, I intend to migrate South until I find decent riding weather.

Hey Desertskies, I like that working mans toy hauler you have put together. Looks like just the thing for a Big Bend stay. :rider:

Doesnt look like my trip to C.A. isnt happening this December as id planned with work(and wife) complications so i just booked a campsite for Dec 26th through Jan 2nd at Big Bend resort and adventure. Never been there so hope its fun. Bringing the XR400 that i dual sported.

Doesnt look like my trip to C.A. isnt happening this December as id planned with work(and wife) complications so i just booked a campsite for Dec 26th through Jan 2nd at Big Bend resort and adventure. Never been there so hope its fun. Bringing the XR400 that i dual sported.

Awesome, can't wait to see you down there. I've been over and over again, and for some reason keep coming back so it must be some sort of fun.

I will be in the area from december 31 to january 6.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Arrgggghhh. I still can't make this work. Guess I'll have to wait till February.

Hey Rob,
This place is your kinda riding. Esp. In the back country. Around the park a DS is best because the speed limit on park roads is 40. Multiple miles of backcountry rock/dirt roads. If your planning on making Marfa, Alpine, McDonald observatory, etc a big bike is awesome on the long hauls. I usually spend alot of time in the back country, pulled off to the side eating an apple & gazing.

Well I'm going to try an make it! Ill be camping probably big bend resort with Tossing lead and the boys, or rancho topanga more towards lajitas. (My favorite) I would like to backpack the outer loop in the NP if anyone is interested in doing some backpacking as well.
I'll be bringing my DR

I wouldn't worry too much about tent spots as they really don't have a set amount. It is mainly just two large areas where tents set up with no real boundaries. However, if you book ahead, it certainly won't hurt anything.

I am usually out there about that time each year. As far as I know, I should be there. I will be staying there at the rv park, with a Rockwood A frame pop- up.

Don

Hey, me, my dad, and my brother are going to be staying there from the 27th to the 30th (leaving on the 31st). I don't know about them, but I'd love some company, as they are planning on crawling their way around, and I like a little challenge.

Hey, me, my dad, and my brother are going to be staying there from the 27th to the 30th (leaving on the 31st). I don't know about them, but I'd love some company, as they are planning on crawling their way around, and I like a little challenge.
Are you bringing your "friend"? LOL

She would fit right in in Terlingua.

Back