• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LA / BARSTOW / VEGAS - 2015

Yes. Meriden you forgot to mention thrasherg

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

I am already out in Temecula. Hoping to ride at Ocotillo Wells tomorrow. Looks like the weather is going to be cold again for this years LAB2V ride. Snow in the mountains coming into Vegas now seems assured. Hope all you Texans are bringing enough warm riding gear. Could be your going to need it. :eek2:

...Looks like the weather is going to be cold again for this years LAB2V ride. Snow in the mountains coming into Vegas now seems assured. Hope all you Texans are bringing enough warm riding gear. Could be your going to need it. :eek2:

Donny bring a 100 pack of screws so you can stop and have spiked knobbies in 10 minutes. If Day 2 takes you into Red Rock Canyon you'll be happy to have them for the snow and ice.

_

Good suggestion David. I know they will come in handy on that big heavy Terra.

Good suggestion David. I know they will come in handy on that big heavy Terra.
Speaking of Terra's, I saw a nice one yesterday in Pampanga with sumo wheels. Got me thinking of riding for the first time since arriving. I then inquired and a CRF250L rental is only $25 a day, $150 week but underpowered for 2 up riding so will do that another trip when traveling solo.

_

$150 a week! Man, now I REALLY want to take a Thailand riding vacation. Heck a 250 qualifies as a genuine big bike over there. I've seen folks riding 3up on honda 90s over in that part of the world.

$150 a week! Man, now I REALLY want to take a Thailand riding vacation. Heck a 250 qualifies as a genuine big bike over there. I've seen folks riding 3up on honda 90s over in that part of the world.

With the kitchen sink, two pigs and a goat!

Actually in the Philippines Donny as I did a last minute change. The CRF250L is made in Thailand though so good availability there. I've seen year old, low mileage, like new bikes selling for ~$2,500. Riding 3 up is nothing around town. Personally I've rode 5 up on my 100cc Honda Wave scooter. But wanting to explore the dirt roads in the mountains of northern Luzon the 250 wouldn't be enjoyable 2 up.

Have a great Thanksgiving dinner with your family and get well fueled up for your ride. I hope you packed plenty of extra tubes to keep Murphy's Law on your side.

_

Hah! I doubt I could even carry all the tubes we might need. This year I have gone to the super thick extra heavy duty tubes. Not that it will help, but we did at least make the effort.

Hah! I doubt I could even carry all the tubes we might need. This year I have gone to the super thick extra heavy duty tubes. Not that it will help, but we did at least make the effort.

When we were prepping for the Baja500, advice from an experienced Baja racer (Sal Hernandez at the San Diego KTM/Ducati dealership) was UHD tubes, wrapped in the carcass of another tube, and filled with Slime. We did that and, though it wasn't a "fair" eval (b'man endo'd while pre-running), I believe that may be the way to go, unless . . .

. . . you want to go with Michelin mousses in Michelin Desert tires that we ran in Baja Rally 3.0 - no flats and they're still fine though JMo opined that the rear tire was probably only good for a couple hundred more race miles. You wind up with a ~$550 set of tires but, as I said, no flats and she said one guy had 5 or 6 flats, on one stage.

Note that not all mousses are created equal and not all suppliers stock all versions. Bullet Proof Designs does, are super quick shipping orders, and are really good folks (and experienced Baja racers themselves).

Last edited:
30 degrees in Barstow this morning. Vegas is expected to see a high of 52. Sandy Valley's high will be 49. A chilly start for the guys this morning.

52 would be OK, 30's too darn cold!
Glad I'm not trying to ride back home from Phoenix right now - Thank You Wunderground!

I think Donny said they are riding bikes back to Palmdale today so doubtful you'll see anything for quite s few more days.

_

Back