• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston County 350

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
There's a whole bunch of dirty stuff inside of Houston county.

This ride starts in Crockett at the Super Walmart, overnights at Mission Tejas park, runs about a third of the trip inside the Crockett NF, winds up and down most every dirt road on the map and then ends up back in Crockett the next day.

This is a dirt ride. All trails and roads are public according to TXDOT maps and US Forest Service MVUM. There are a few paved sections - leaving Crockett and connecting various trails but they are generally short.

There will be sand and there will be mud. Their ratio and severity depends on your timing the weather. But, even under ideal conditions - there will be some of both. Sand south of Crockett and around Grapeland can be ominous when dry. Some random red mud sections will be practically impassable when wet. Sand riding skills will work here. Mud skills... not so much. There are dozens of wooden bridges. They will be perilously slick when wet.

Day 1 totals 232 miles - ending at the park. Day 2 is 110 miles. Gas is at miles 58, 80, 103, 152, 201, 262 and 325. There may be others but this is pretty much backwoods stuff so don't bet on it. If you begin Day 1 around 9 AM, lunch can happen in Pennington. If you get rolling on Day 2 before 9 AM you can expect to finish around 2 PM. Flats and mechanicals along the way are not part of this schedule.

*** Although 232 miles may seem like a quick ride - a moderately fast group will have to hustle to finish Day 1 before dark if problems along the way are few. ***

Since this ride basically circles Crockett, you will rarely be more than 40 miles from where you started. If you run short of daylight, getting onto a paved road is easy and can get you where you need to be. If there are mechanical issues or injuries you can make it back to a rescue vehicle without much trouble.

As always, wait for the rider behind you at every intersection and ride your own ride. Nobody gets left behind and nobody gets hurt. :rider:

./rg

woods.jpg

Attachments

• HoustonCo3.gpx
    566.4 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Is this gps file any different from the one prior to the ride that we rode?

_

Yes, it is different. The first ranch section along the Trinity river bottom is removed as is the hunting club road along the Neches (allegedly Best Rd.). More dirt is added to Day 1 in the south western part of the county. Day 2 includes more dirt and avoids most of FM 227 west of Grapeland. Beyond that, it's exactly as we rode it.

Last edited:
GPS is attached to the first post (below the picture). You may need to be logged into TWT to see it. Hope the weather cooperates for you.

You can run mostly dirt between Huntsville and Crockett. There's not much dirt between Conroe and Huntsville that isn't kind of out of the way.

If I know when you are coming, you could park a truck at my place for a few days. We are off FM 980 just a few miles North of Huntsville.

Anyone ridden this route lately?

If this is the route I think it is, I ran it as a black Friday ride a few years ago. If it's different, I have a similar one. We screwed up on gas locations and didn't finish day 1 on day one and picked up where we left off on day 2. Didn't finish day 2 before we decided to head home to keep from getting back to Houston too late. I enjoyed it on the DR. Lots and lots of sand.

From RG's description it sounds exceptionally rural. Meaning it's a camping ride.

Back