TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > For Sale / Wanted

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #21
Jeepman

Re: FS 05 DL1000 project No Comp

Thats pretty low. Did it die while you where riding it or did it just fail to start one day.
Jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #22
HarryRichard

Died while riding it. Rode to a job site for a few hours then left and made it about a mile before it quit. Lucky it died while still in the neighborhood or else i would have been stuck on the side of the highway.
HarryRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #23
jetdr21

Where you be located?
jetdr21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #24
HarryRichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdr21 View Post
Where you be located?
Between Manor and Hutto. Northeast of Austin
Old 09-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #25
JT
Forum Supporter

I am willing to bet that the low compression is just that the mech didn't take into account the auto de-compessors. Losing compression in both would be failed cam chain. Strom valves are some of the most reliable in the business. Something else is wrong.
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #26
RTL

Find someone with a bore scope and go in through the spark plug hole and look at the condition of the cylinder walls and valves might tell the story as to if it is a major issue requiring piston/ring/cylinder work or just valve train issue.
RTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #27
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
the valve stems stretch slightly and that also causes the valve clearance to reduce and eventually the valves stay open!!
Not to get in a mechanical pissing match, but that is not really what happens in something other then a ultra High RPM motor like say top fuel dragster.......or a valve that is failing and ready to come apart.

On the common motorcycle adjuster over valve design head, valve head and seat wear, as then do the valve recedes into the head causing the relative valve clearance gap to lesson. The valve is not getting longer, it is just going farther into the head...
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training

Last edited by E.Marquez; 09-15-2017 at 05:09 PM.
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #28
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
I am willing to bet that the low compression is just that the mech didn't take into account the auto de-compessors. Losing compression in both would be failed cam chain. Strom valves are some of the most reliable in the business. Something else is wrong.
THAT ^^^ is what i was thinking as well.... I prefer a leak down test in combo with compression, or stand alone most times,,,, leak down tells me mush more then just a compression test
Post event services

Total Rider
Old 09-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #29
jetdr21

Everyone is talking mechanical problems, but has anyone thought about maybe an electrical problem? Like a fuel pump or ignition problem, or maybe even a blown fuse?
Old 09-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #30
JMZ

I would unplug the power commander and try it without it.

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #31
HarryRichard

Fuel, air, power commander and i think electrical all checked. I dont think any of those would lead to loss of compression anyway but ill leave that to smarter people than me to figure out. Still no one interested. Price too high?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #32
jetdr21

Is there someway to bypass the auto decompressed?
Old 09-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #33
DFW_Warrior

Quote:
No easy way that I know of. They are driven by centrifugal force and are purely mechanical. The only way to really bypass them would be to remove them all together from the exhaust cams I would think.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #34
HiSPL

I'm about to sell my 7.3 Excursion, and if this is still available in a week or two I'll take it. My Strom is in sad shape after years of neglect. I put it in the garage like 6 years ago and haven't really touched it while I started a business. Now the cost of putting it back on the road is formidable.

This bike has about everything I'll need. Clutch Basket, Seat (Mine is ripped now), Tires, Power Commander, Sasquatch shock.

And, I've always wanted to use the Strom front end on my 81 Suzuki GS custom job. It would give me a modern tire size but on a 19" (stock size in '81) rim.

I would use most of this bike putting 2 motos back on the road.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #35
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Need a seat?
I have a stock seat from a 2005, along with several other bits and pieces.

Most if not all were pledged to me to fix my Strom after the dog wreck, I will pay them all forward.

I know I have a seat, rear brake lever, serviceable mirrors ... probably more bits.
Lemme know ...
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #36
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
I put it in the garage like 6 years ago and haven't really touched it while I started a business.
I was recently wondering where you have been! Someone asked about Rocketbunney and I got to thinking about other folks I had not seen on the site in a while (years... ) You were real active for a while then just kind of dropped off the face of the planet. Good to see you are still around

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #37
HiSPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I was recently wondering where you have been! Someone asked about Rocketbunney and I got to thinking about other folks I had not seen on the site in a while (years... ) You were real active for a while then just kind of dropped off the face of the planet. Good to see you are still around
Hi Scott!

Yeah I hung up all "fun" stuff for a while. I needed the cash for business stuff. We actually started 2 different things. My wife runs www.danielaweaver.com and we have been decently succesful with that. I started a sound company, but it didn't really work out. I work at Lone Star Cowboy Church now in Montgomery.

My son turned 15 and wanted a bike. He mowed lawns until he got enough money to buy a non running scooter, which we fixed and sold. Made enough money to buy a non running Ninja 250 (maybe the nicest one on the planet) and got it running.

Anyway, I've been itching to ride again! Maybe get out to the Montgomery bike nights.....
Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #38
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not easily but yes it can be done, though not really needed as he serviceman manual procedural accounts for the Auto decomp working as designed

The DL1000 service manual shows 142-199psi standard, with a min of 114 psi.
And a differential of no more than 28psi
Again, personally Id do a leak down as well.....as it tells you not just that cylinder compression is low(ish) but helps ID where that compression is leaking .

And I have now derailed a for sale post with Tech BS, sorry about that.. did not read the whole thing and just now realized this was a ad...
Post event services

Total Rider
Old 09-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #39
jetdr21

PM started
Old 09-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #40
The Big Spank Daddy

Yes, the proper course of action is a LEAK DOWN test. That will for sure tell you where the compression is going. My ZX1100E2 (75K miles) lost #4 cylinder on the way home one day. As it worked out it also had a small exhaust leak on the #4 header for quite awhile. I was certain it burned the exhaust valve and I'd have to pull the head. Having multiple bikes it sat in the garage for about a year.

Finally got back to it, checked compression, #4 had "0" and the other 3 low and inconsistent. Checked the valves and all 16 had "0.00" clearance, nada, none, nothing. Did a leak down test and surprisingly all 4 cylinders were leaking via the intake valves. Bought a HOT Cams shim kit for $67, adjusted the valves. Retested, leak down was less than 10% and all 4 now had almost max compression. Hit the starter and it purred like a kitten.

The point being, don't expect the worse until it is PROPERLY troubleshot. I think you'd be amazed at how many shops/mechanics DO NOT have a leak down tester.
The Big Spank Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote