• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin Montana Map - Crazy

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Does anybody have a clue why my Garmin Montana shows all the crazy lines when I power it up?

I have no clue how to get rid of them.

Another question, I just received a new 24 Topo Map on and SD card from Garmin. Is there any way to move the map off the Garmin SD card onto my own card? I want to store routes and pictures on my own card, but can't if I load only the Garmin card.

By the way the new 24K topos are AMAZING

20160824_024057131_iOS_zpscblwyu9v.jpg

Those are your tracks. Lol. Go to settings and remove or don't show tracks.

No way they are my tracks it would put me through the bedrooms of several neighbors and I am sure I would have remembered that...

Can't seem to find them to delete, will keep looking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No way they are my tracks it would put me through the bedrooms of several neighbors and I am sure I would have remembered that...

Can't seem to find them to delete, will keep looking

They are your tracks from leaving the GPS on for a long period of time at your house. GPS's have some error. That is what you are seeing.

Ahhhh that makes sense. Sometimes when I have it connect to my desktop for a few days BaseCamp disconnects and the garmin turns on like I am going to use it. It has been on like that for days without me noticing. Bet that is some auto track thing happening.... Thanks

Rich nailed it. The Montana exhibits more 'drift' errors than some GPSs when sitting still. That looks like more than my Montana.
I like to set the track recording to 'archive daily'. That way, it starts a new track every day. Go into the archive folder and delete the ones you don't want, save the good ones. The default option is to archive when full. This causes it to combine multiple days tracks and then split in the middle of a ride.

Rich nailed it. The Montana exhibits more 'drift' errors than some GPSs when sitting still. That looks like more than my Montana.
I like to set the track recording to 'archive daily'. That way, it starts a new track every day. Go into the archive folder and delete the ones you don't want, save the good ones. The default option is to archive when full. This causes it to combine multiple days tracks and then split in the middle of a ride.

Good info - I did not know that - TKS!
(Prob'ly ought to read the manual, huh?)

Hey Mike, sorry I didn't answer the second question about moving the map to a different card. No. Uncle Garmin says you can't do dat. The map unlock code is keyed to the card's ID number. It could be done with a key generator, but would violate the license terms.

JT, thanks... What about the maps you download from Garmin? Can you merge more than one map onto a different SD card?

Yes, downloaded maps can be loaded to the external memory card. Multiple maps can be loaded on the external card, but be careful. I still use Mapsource. Mapsource is too stupid to offer to give each loaded map a unique name. Every time you load a map it is named gmapsupp.img. If using MS, you must go into to the external storage and rename the map something unique or MS will overwrite it when you load the next map. I do not know how Basecamp/Mapinstall name maps, but they may not be any smarter than Mapsource.

Yes, downloaded maps can be loaded to the external memory card. Multiple maps can be loaded on the external card, but be careful. I still use Mapsource. Mapsource is too stupid to offer to give each loaded map a unique name. Every time you load a map it is named gmapsupp.img. If using MS, you must go into to the external storage and rename the map something unique or MS will overwrite it when you load the next map. I do not know how Basecamp/Mapinstall name maps, but they may not be any smarter than Mapsource.

Mapinstall seems to cleanly merge them all into one file.

Mapinstall seems to cleanly merge them all into one file.

Not sure I like that option. The Montana has no problem with unique filenames like earlier systems had. Just rename the .img files and keep them separate. Then, it is easy to back them up or move them on the mem card or move them to other gps s when neccessary.

I think you can still rename them. It just works with a default name when it builds them. So you still should be able to build a library of map files.

But if MapInstall merges all maps into one file, then you cant archive the maps you may not need on this trip on the card to keep the unit from indexing them. I have probably 10-12GB of maps on one card and just move the relevant ones into the \garmin folder when needed.

You just select the maps you want in Mapinstall and it merges them into one supplemental map, just like before. You just rename it like you do. So you can have Mexico street and topo in one file and remove and add as necessary. If I'm understanding it all correctly the only difference is that Mapinstall lets you have maps from different sets in one file if you want. You can still do one mapset at a time to a supp file. Basically I'm saying Mapinstall will still work with your system.

Ok, as long as you can keep the map files separate. I do not want all the maps in one file.

Back