• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member - Southwest Austin area

Reaction score
Hey There,
I joined this forum to learn a little more about the local ADV and Dual Sport riding. I don't yet have a bike, as I am still on the fence on whether this is a direction I want to head in. It is at the top of my list of potential new activities though.

A little about me. I have been an avid motocross racer almost all of my life, making it to the pro level in way back in the 1980's. I am in my early 50's but generally act and feel much younger. However, recent knee injuries are forcing me to give up motocross. Without moto, I really don't know what else to do with my weekends. I have pretty much ridden/raced every weekend (when healthy) since the late 1970s.

Anyhow, a number of friends have gotten into ADV riding the last number of years. Unfortunately for me, none of them are local. From the info I have seen on txadvriders.com and texasadventure.net, it looks like there are weekly day rides and a few bigger events each year. I plan on going to the monthly get together tomorrow night at Twin Peaks, so I look forward to meeting some of y'all there.

Welcome to the site.
Sorry about your knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Scott, it was great to meet you tonight. Sorry about the knees, but I think you'll find that we're a solid bunch of guys to ride/spend time with. If you want to check out my Strom some time, just let me know, we'll hook something up.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Adventure riding is definitely different than racing, but it is still bikes and bike friends. It is about the shared experiences for some, the solo adventures for others, and some of both for a lot of us. It can range from easy peasy unpaved county roads to borderline extreme enduro depending on the group and event. I enjoy challenging terrain as well as just exploring places I've never been, and I prefer to have a friend or three along for the ride, but solo works too sometimes.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Gourdhead it was great to meet you and the rest of the guys last night. as the moto stuff gets sold off, I will get serious about picking out which bike I should start with. I look forward to it!

Hey Scott,
Great to meet you last night. Look forward to riding with you.

Mark

Back