• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Huntsville: New Zion Missionary Baptist Church Barbeque

Yup. Several times. Have a friend connected with Sam Houston and it is a must do for him.

I've eaten there many times. The food was always excellent.

The last time I ate there was 1988.

Did a little googling . Seems like it might have slipped a bit. I went about 18 months ago. Better let some Huntsville folks give you some updates .

Has anybody ever eaten at New Zion Missionary Baptist Church Barbeque in Huntsville? Maybe a good day ride?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Church-BBQ/116370178390995

I try to make it a point to stop in every time I'm in Huntsville. The bbq is good. I'd say get the chicken, it's always moist. The ribs are hit or miss. I usually get a 2 meat plate with sausage and chicken. The brisket is good, but not as good as say Luling City Market. My favorite thing at Zion is actually the pecan pie. When it's hot and fresh, it's as good as I've ever had. As for the atmosphere, it's a tiny hole in the wall with a 9" tv, literally. The minister is usually who takes your order, and the rest of the employees are church members. Good people.

New Zion, or Church of Holy Smoke on Montgomery Road in Huntsville has had a major change in BQ flavor. It is still good, but not the great experience it once was because the 90 yr old cook passed away with the secret recipe. It is not as sweet/saucy/spicy. The church members are nicer though who seat you and help out. McKenzies is a better local BQ and on weekends in Dodge, TX on hwy 190 Backwoods BQ is excellent…. just all outside.

revtex. When did the cook pass away?

I am thinking I was last there with two other XR 1200's on the way to run the Three Stooges over by Newton. And it was already too hot for leather. But that is all I got for timing.

I will make it a point to check it out this upcoming week. I pass by there all the time and can not remember the last time I stopped. Must be at least 10 years or more.

I havn't been in years, wasn't that good to me, BUT you won't leave hungry. Partions were huge back then.

New Zion, or Church of Holy Smoke on Montgomery Road in Huntsville has had a major change in BQ flavor. It is still good, but not the great experience it once was because the 90 yr old cook passed away with the secret recipe. It is not as sweet/saucy/spicy. The church members are nicer though who seat you and help out. McKenzies is a better local BQ and on weekends in Dodge, TX on hwy 190 Backwoods BQ is excellent…. just all outside.

McKenzies definately better! And lots of options.

Back