• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Solved: Needing Help in McAllen (KTM 990)

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
My friend dwj-Donnie is about to become a twtex.com member so I'm posting his request for help in the McAllen area for him. Here it is (from ADV):

"I arrived to Reynosa this afternoon. My rear "SuperSprox" is down to nubs! I seriously doubt that it will make it to Dallas! I have a sprocket and chain set at my daughter's house. Anyone from the Dallas area headed to McAllen/Renosa in the next day or so? Or Anybody headed this way or lives close by with a worn out sprocket for a 990 Adventure that will get me to Dallas?

In case you are wondering why I am in this predicament. The OEM chain and sprocket went 25,900 miles. The "high" quality replacement, which included JT sprockets went 19,150. The same chain, rear SuperSprox and JT front sprocket has barley over 18,250 and is toast! I was in Dallas six weeks or so ago and could have got the chain/sprocket set, but saw no need since i would be back well before I needed to replace the set. Little did I know! I paid an extra $40 or so for the rear SuperSprox and it is down to nubs! The front sprocket looks fine! I am surprised and not very happy with this situation. But it will all work out.

Hopefully someone can help!"

"I sent an email to the San Antonio Dealership last night. I have also applied for membership to TWT and am waiting on the Acceptance. Do you know any 990 Adventure owners in your area and further south that might have a new or used sprocket they would be willing to part with?"

He should be on our site later today with his own account but he will be able to read this as a guest right away.

Let's see how this works out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Needing Help in McAllen (KTM 990)

Not sure why this isn't showing up on the front page under recent user threads........

I just approved his account.

Thanks!

Hopefully someone will have something that will work.

Donnie

Thanks Kurt

I also sent a PM to Scott (Tourmeister Scott) to the end that this subforum area should float on the front page under Recent User Threads to get max exposure :sun:

Thanks Kurt

I also sent a PM to Scott (Tourmeister Scott) to the end that this subforum area should float on the front page under Recent User Threads to get max exposure :sun:

Thanks!

Donnie

My daughter just FedExed the new sprocket I have at her house. It should arrive Monday. So I paid $40 extra for the SuperSprox that did not last as long as the JT sprocket. $25 to send my new JT sprocket from Dallas to McAllen. I just ordered a new JT rear sprocket for $38.35, that I hope will arrive to Dallas by the time I arrive. This will allow a new undamaged rear sprocket to be installed with the new chain and front sprocket that is already there. Plus at least one day extra in Reynosa. Of course the new 500 mile damaged sprocket will be reinstalled at some point.

You can imagine what I think of SuperSprox and whether I will ever be a repeat customer!

Donnie,

No knowledge of KTM parts. I live in McAllen. You can PM me if I can assist you with any help you can think of.

Donnie,

No knowledge of KTM parts. I live in McAllen. You can PM me if I can assist you with any help you can think of.

Thanks! I think a solution has been worked out. Thanks again!

I have a full chain and sprocket set in Houston if you have in need for it , I am close to 40 k now and still looking good , stock ktm sprockets and did VM chain . SEYA

I have a full chain and sprocket set in Houston if you have in need for it , I am close to 40 k now and still looking good , stock ktm sprockets and did VM chain . SEYA

Thanks, but I think I will be OK now!

My daughter just FedExed the new sprocket I have at her house. It should arrive Monday. So I paid $40 extra for the SuperSprox that did not last as long as the JT sprocket. $25 to send my new JT sprocket from Dallas to McAllen. I just ordered a new JT rear sprocket for $38.35, that I hope will arrive to Dallas by the time I arrive. This will allow a new undamaged rear sprocket to be installed with the new chain and front sprocket that is already there. Plus at least one day extra in Reynosa. Of course the new 500 mile damaged sprocket will be reinstalled at some point.

You can imagine what I think of SuperSprox and whether I will ever be a repeat customer!
SuperSprox aluminum? Or the Bi Metal version?
I Have more than 20k on a Bi Metal Stealth fitted to a VTR1000F that is notoriously hard on sprockets and it shows little wear, same sprocket on a DRZ485 SM with almost 8K and showing NO wear.

Best of luck with your repairs and Ride.. unfortunately, your too far from me to help.

Thanks Kurt

Will do when I get back in town.

Is this issue solved now? If so, I'll update the title.

Lemme know....

Back