• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I've heard people make great comments about RPM and to be honest I am not sure I would trust any of the Freedom shops with anything other than selling bikes and or possibly changing tires, but considering i had to go back twice to get a leaking front tire reset that is debatable (and it was debris left on the tire bead during install that was causing the leaks).

You did the 600 yourself ... why not continue doing your own maintenance?

I highly recommend Cycle Center of Denton. They did my last BMW service. They are locally and independently owned which I much prefer. Everyone I spoke to was great and very knowledgeable. They were much more interested in doing the service I needed, rather than upselling on unnecessary stuff. Not to mention their prices were actually fair, unlike every other shop I called in DFW.

That being said, if you decide to do the maintenance yourself and need a hand I’m pretty close to you (Cedar Hill). You are welcome to come over on a Saturday/Sunday and use my lift. I’ll help however much or little you prefer.

If you're interested in going to an independent shop, check out Monkey Wrench Cycles in Ft Worth, just outside of Arlington on Lancaster (or Division) St. Frank, the owner, is a TWTer, knows his stuff, and is honest & fair.

I knew the owners of D&S Honda of Arlington back in the 70s & 80s. Sadly, they don't have a particularly good reputation these days.

There is a good guy in Argyle (pretty far from you)...the Metric Garage. It is a one man shop, and he works on most bikes. I think he may prefer slightly older bikes. He did a carb overhaul on my ‘94 Goldwing, because apparently Honda dealers have no interest in servicing their older equipment. Only problem is he is usually backed up quite awhile. Phone number: 972-849-6351.
Email: themetricgarage@gmail.com

Not D&S. Horrible prices, horrible service.

I like Cycle Center of Denton although admittedly I only buy bikes there. I do my own service. I know the owner, he is a great guy and they are customer service oriented.

The vibe I got was you're a smart guy.
You'll be fine.

Just don't be afraid to ask for help and Youtube has a how to for everything.

I use & would recommend DFW Honda in Grapevine - have been pleased with all service work they have done on my 2002 Goldwing

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mitch. I'll call when I accidentally put the back wheel on the front :)

My bad ... jet skis ain't got no wheels.
:headbang:

when my crf250l sprung a oil leak from the case seam it required a complete total tear down to the last screw.

I took it in as it was still just under warranty to freedom power sport Cleburne.

the kid there did not inspire confidence but in the end he did a good job.
every screw and not was where it belongs and two years later still tight and dry.

now it is two years later, motorcycle shops do have high turn over.

Frank at monkey wrench gets my vote also, he is a good mechanic and has a very loyal following.

I use DFW Honda, I have always been very pleased with the service to my bikes. However, I have only had 2 bikes in for service, 2 times in 30 years.......

I certainly am no mechanic, but I do like to do what I can myself.

Just bought an AT at DFW Honda. It was an outstanding experience, especially considering the non-chalant attitude normally received at dealers.
I plan to try the service department there and see how that goes.
Coming from 30 years of dealerships, remember, you CAN'T communicate to much. They have a lot going on all the time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have had good experiences with the service departments at RPM (previous bike) and Maxim (current bike). While shopping for my current ride (FJ-09) I test rode another model at Freedom (I-35E Lewisville/N. Dallas) and they struck me as being pretty lightweight.

I purchased the FJ at Maxim and was satisfied with that side of the operation also.

What in the 4000 mile maintenance don't you feel comfortable with?

Speaking for myself, I typically only use a shop for the maintenance check requiring a valve check. I think that's a fairly common sentiment here on TWT. Since your new to the motorcycle thing, save that money and put it towards your growth by spending it on a Lee Parks or UlyBrad (etc.) type class. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I think many here would be happy to assist, myself included.

I bought my 09 Versys 650 at Honda/Kawasaki West in Ft.Worth (westside). Their service dept. was a pleasure to deal with. Now that I'm in California I haven't been able to find a dealership i would take my bike for service...

Ask around locally for independent shops. The Metric Garage does very good work, fixed many a dealer screw ups. Any local eats or drinks places that bikes hang out at, might be a good start :)

Back