• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adding an auxiliary fuel tank

pub610

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Woodall
I've bought an auxiliary fuel cell and will be plumbing it (gravity feed) to the steel tank on my Super Tenere. I'm looking at a brass fitting/barb at the tank, but should the bunghole (hold the jokes) be steel or some other metal?

hmmm, that could be tricky, the bung don't have to be metal it does have to seal up good. you could plumb it to the vent line for the main tank and route the vent to the aux tank so as the level goes down in the main it draws in fuel from the aux.

best would be to pull and fully air out the tank so a metal bung can be brazed to the tank.

hmmm, that could be tricky, the bung don't have to be metal it does have to seal up good. you could plumb it to the vent line for the main tank and route the vent to the aux tank so as the level goes down in the main it draws in fuel from the aux.

best would be to pull and fully air out the tank so a metal bung can be brazed to the tank.

Leon, we'll definitely pull the tank and either braze or mig/tig the bung. I don't want to mess with the main tank vent since I'm connecting the fuel cell up by way of a dry-break disconnect so i can take it off and put it back on easily... the main tank would still need to vent when the fuel cell is off.
I'm not smart enough to know how I would install a non-metal bung and get a good seal. I'm trying to decide if I should braze in a brass bung or go with either steel or aluminum.

Leon, we'll definitely pull the tank and either braze or mig/tig the bung. I don't want to mess with the main tank vent since I'm connecting the fuel cell up by way of a dry-break disconnect so i can take it off and put it back on easily... the main tank would still need to vent when the fuel cell is off.
I'm not smart enough to know how I would install a non-metal bung and get a good seal. I'm trying to decide if I should braze in a brass bung or go with either steel or aluminum.

FWIW This is a common issue with BMW X bikes. When using the vent line, simply buy a second dry break disconnect and add it to the "downstream" of the vent line. That way you can remove the tank and plug the vent line back in. That is the way my Challenge is setup.

FWIW This is a common issue with BMW X bikes. When using the vent line, simply buy a second dry break disconnect and add it to the "downstream" of the vent line. That way you can remove the tank and plug the vent line back in. That is the way my Challenge is setup.

So you're fueling the main tank by way of the vent tube?

So you're fueling the main tank by way of the vent tube?

Yes. As the fuel pump moves fuel out of the tank the vent tube siphons fuel from the aux tank to the main tank. There is just a tiny amount of fuel moving at any given time so it does not tax the fuel pump. The main thing is keeping a vacuum in the system. The gas cap can't leak or it won't work. The photo below shows the fuel line going to the tank vent along with the dry disconnect. 20K miles, many of them rough, and it still works like a charm.

RightRackS_zpsotxjvisr.jpg

Back