• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to get a dyno tune done for an 05 Vstrom?

HiSPL

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Weaver
It's time to wake the Strom from her slumber. One of the things I'd like to do is get it tuned for the street and trail. I did it myself years ago with a rented Yosh box, but I'm sure it's too rich because my MPG suffered more than I think it should have.

Who does this and about hpw much does it cost?

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 187
To get the full benefit of a dyno tune you will need more than a Yosh Box to do it. The Yosh Box only tweaks a few parameters and can only really get to be a little bit better than stock. For a good dyno tune, something like a Power Commander will most likely be needed that is far more programmable than the stock ECU.

As for where, that is a darn good question. Way back, I knew that Dean Phelps worked for Stadium (now Lone Star) Yamaha and he was "the guy" when it came to tuning motorcycles in the north Texas area. That may not be of any help with your location though.

This might help though:
http://www.powercommander.com/power...mmander_tuning_center_and_dealer_locator.aspx

Power Commander and Lance at Killeen PowerSports..... BUT, I can only vouch for Lance, I no longer know the service advisors nor the manager

To get the full benefit of a dyno tune you will need more than a Yosh Box to do it. The Yosh Box only tweaks a few parameters and can only really get to be a little bit better than stock. For a good dyno tune, something like a Power Commander will most likely be needed that is far more programmable than the stock ECU.

I realize what the Yosh box is and does. I had almost built one, but then the loaner box came available so I went that route. I wish now I had just built it so I could continue to play with it. It's just a resistor network with some switches.

Is it still not possible to tune the factory ECU? This is crazy. I know they can tune the Busa now, and that was similarly locked down like the Strom. I figured someone would have hacked it by now.

Tuning the ECU is unlimited in what you can do. A power commander is a piggy back system and can only control fueling as far as I rememeber. Can they do ignition mapping as well now?

I realize what the Yosh box is and does. I had almost built one, but then the loaner box came available so I went that route. I wish now I had just built it so I could continue to play with it. It's just a resistor network with some switches.

Is it still not possible to tune the factory ECU? This is crazy. I know they can tune the Busa now, and that was similarly locked down like the Strom. I figured someone would have hacked it by now.

Tuning the ECU is unlimited in what you can do. A power commander is a piggy back system and can only control fueling as far as I rememeber. Can they do ignition mapping as well now?

If you want to build one, by all means go for it. But the bottom line is that it will only program what the ECU will allow it to program. As far as programming the factory ECU, I'd imagine that it is a supply/demand thing with quite a few Busa owners wanting into their ECU's whereas most Strom owners just want to know how many lights then can hang off of their bike before melting the stator.

Yes, the Power Commander is a piggy back system, but there are some advantages to that in some ways. Screw it up, and need a quick reset? Unplug it and ride on. Screw up an ECU program and need a quick reset to get the bike home, good luck.

And yes, they can do ignition modifications as well.
http://www.powercommander.com/power...ionModule/powercommander_ignition_module.aspx

Personally, an 05 Strom isn't a good candidate for much of this unless you just really want to. By the time to buy a PC and an ignition module to go with it, then full custom dyno tune it, you are pretty much as the value of an 05 Strom with not very much HP to gain from it since there are quite a few other things different from it and the TL base motor.

Whichever way you decide, good luck with your search! :thumb:

AF1 Racing in Austin.

Thanks.

Personally, an 05 Strom isn't a good candidate for much of this unless you just really want to. By the time to buy a PC and an ignition module to go with it, then full custom dyno tune it, you are pretty much as the value of an 05 Strom with not very much HP to gain from it

I'm not looking for HP. The 1000 has plenty enough for what I do. I just want to make get it much smoother than what it is right now with the low speed on/off throttle stuff that happens off road, and I would like some MPG back if possible.

I'm guessing it would take tuning the ingition advance tables along with fuel to make the bikle truly smooth on the throttle.

Also, the 05 Strom is what I brung to the dance, and she's already dressed up! Might as well keep with it, right?

The power commander fixed the problems for me that you are wanting to correct. I had an 05.

Yep Michah at AF1 one of the best tuners around. Take it to him with a full tank of gas as he will use most of it tuning as he wants to get exactly what you
want out of the performance.

Honestly from my experience with an 09 DL1000, it's not worth the cost. My 09 had a PCV installed when i got it. I added a dual map switch and played with MANY maps. I spent hours with it in the real world. The bottom line was that all the "dyno crafted maps" were stupid rich from around 2000 to 6000 rpm then went lean. Using those maps, i could hardly tell a difference between a dyno crafted map and the stock ecu except for a minor improvement at low speed, low rpm..and I do mean minor. Most of my riding kept rpm between 3800 and 4500 rpm. Gas mileage was 42 using stock map and 37 using practically any available dyno crafted map. I ended up making my own map and after a ton of trial and error, ended up with settings at each rpm that were 40-50% between stock and the dyno maps. Gas mileage went up to 40, carefully timed acceleration and vibration during were both better than either stock lean or dyno map rich. In all, these differences were barely perceptible and I'm **** picky. If the PCV had been $50 and I had to pay for it, it wouldn't have been worth it.

With all that said, maybe I just had a really good one. And with that said, the '14 I replaced the '09 with beats the snot out of the '09 in every respect.

I'm not looking for HP. The 1000 has plenty enough for what I do. I just want to make get it much smoother than what it is right now with the low speed on/off throttle stuff that happens off road, and I would like some MPG back if possible.

I'm guessing it would take tuning the ingition advance tables along with fuel to make the bikle truly smooth on the throttle.

Coming from someone that put over 100k miles on an 05 Strom, yes if you want to really smooth out the low end of one it would probably take both fueling and ignition coupled with a new or reworked clutch basket, and make sure your cushion drive bushings are new as well.

Or do what I did, for less money I bought another bike to dual sport with and my Strom was a pavement gobbler. That being said, even with a choppy low end, it could still get a little dirty. I just had to work around the bike's weaknesses.;-)

i8SAZi9l.jpg

You got a 13 year old bike, "work around the bike's weaknesses." or take advantage of known fixes for these bikes.

Do a TB Sync - adjust the throttle cables - replace the front sprocket with a smaller one.

Use the money you save by not paying for dyno run time and tuner to go on a road trip.

Just my 2 cents. Later, Bud... :rider:

If it's any help at all, I had a 2004 VStrom 1000 that I picked up from a friend. (I think this is the last year before the version you have, so I don't know how different the engines are). The gas tank was completely rusted out and the fuel pump/filter was a ball of rust. I ended up cleaning the tank out, replacing the fuel pump/filter, and the bike ran pretty well but stuttered at full throttle around 3500 rpm. Seafoam worked like magic and I ended up getting around 42 ish MPG cruising after finally cleaning everything out. It helped with a jerky throttle response around 2-2.5k rpms. I'm sure you how bad ethanol is and wanted to know if you've already checked the filter and cleaned the fuel injectors before having a PC install/remap and dyno done?

Back