• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Who has the little Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner? How is it? Is it big enough to fit a single carb in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one a few weeks ago to clean a couple DR650 carbs. One single carb will fit but I had to flip the carb over because the unit is not deep enough. It worked great for me. I used simple green 50/50. It has a heater and I would recommend letting it warm up a little while before using.

I’ve had one for a few years and it has worked good.
If you are cleaning aluminum I would use Simple Green HD that is purple, it’s PH will not discolor the aluminum as bad.

Love the thing, works really well, I used 50/50 simple green as well. Thinking of trying with the mineral spirits but haven't needed it lately.

I looked through the thread. Just curious, Did you remove the jets and mixture screw when cleaning the carb body or were they all still installed?

I can't speak to the carb, but when I put my pistols in it, I break it down as much as possible to give it the optimum chance to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the input guys! I’m probably gonna pick one up this weekend, I picked up a toy for the boys. I’ve used an ultrasonic cleaner that belong to a friend of mine, but I moved away and I don’t have access to that anymore LOL. We used to use denatured alcohol in them, but simple green sounds..... well simple

No experience with the ultrasonic cleaner, but I can attest that an old crock pot and pure pine sol will ultra-clean anything, AND leave the plastic and rubber intact!

I have not used anything else since discovering this. It's awesome.

Wear gloves though, it will take all the oil out of your skin in seconds.

No experience with the ultrasonic cleaner, but I can attest that an old crock pot and pure pine sol will ultra-clean anything, AND leave the plastic and rubber intact!

I have a HF unit sitting in the garage awaiting my first use, but I’m always curious to hear all the different options on doing things... do you just throw the crock pot on low & let it do its thing? On High? Interesting.

Thanks

Yeah, on low and let it cook overnight usually. Depends on how much crud you are removing. Pure pine sol dissolves grease and gas varnish really well. A few hours typically works for any kind of part in reasonably good shape. For really dirty stuff overnight will get it. I then take a toothbrush to it and give it a rinse.

See crock pots at garage sales all the time. Gonna give this a try.

See crock pots at garage sales all the time. Gonna give this a try.

Thats where I got mine. Old school crock pot with no lid. I think it was 50 cents. I put a piece of plywood or whatever on it to keep the heat in. I pour my pine sol back into the bottles when I'm done. It takes about 2 bottles, but I top it off with water. When I get too much water to not enough Pine Sol, I buy another bottle....

Last edited:
I use 1/4 Pine-Sol and 3/4 hot water in my ultrasonic cleaner. I disassemble the carb as much as possible, drop it in, run it through maybe two 5 minute cycles, and it comes out looking brand new. Then I rinse and blow it out with carb cleaner to make sure there is no water anywhere. It would be nice if it were maybe 1" deeper, but that is not a real biggie.

Back