• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adding an “idiot” light to your turn signals

E.Marquez

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
No body likes forgetting their turn signals on. And it seems the stock indicator lights are often not in the riders line of sight be it as designed or due to some add in the owner has done.

Adding an indicator light to motorcycle turn signals wither a replacement or additional one to what is already on the bike is pretty simple and basic.....

But there is a tiny bit or electrical trickery many don’t figure out until they wire in that new light and now both blinkers light up as well as the new indicator light...

You need to electrical isolate the turn signals from each other. Other wise the signal selected powers the opposite light through the indicator light.

It’s a simple build with just two diodes, some heat shrink tube and solder

4aff5f6cce57f5dda4402acc33979906.jpg
f41e8454abd4ca3b7489d0162aab1726.jpg
b8f710a0aee199242efe6d1693a8931c.jpg
ab8ef3b1729b76759f04188d6d0be605.jpg

why not a honking horn, buzzing buzzer or even a cymbal crash. running low on BLINKER FLUID is expensive and dangerous!

Let's see the rest of the install.
Im waiting on some LED indicators to come in still. I had blue, red and amber on hand, owner wanted green....:-D

But I had everything out for soldiering and such so made 1/2 dozen of these indicator diode Y's.

You can buy them online for $10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK7XMY/?tag=twowhetex-20

But I buy a 50 pack of the diodes at $3.99 shipped, and the rest of the stuff is always on hand ..so it costs me under $1 to make one, and don't have to wait...

This new is a new to him 2012 Wr450f and the PO was a hack crossed with an idiot mixed with stupid so its been an adventure to get rid of all the crappy preexisting wiring, fix it all and add fuse box, GPS dedicated line, USB port, new control switches for everything, new street kit including key switch, integrate some turn signals in the hand guards, add hydraulic brake light switches, cut out and bypass the clutch interlock switch.

why not a honking horn, buzzing buzzer or even a cymbal crash. running low on BLINKER FLUID is expensive and dangerous!

My '74 Honda 550K has an intermittent buzzer sound in addition to a light. The buzzer is pretty annoying but you definitely don't forget to turn the blinker off.

Suzuki tried that back in the late 70’s on the big GS and it was not received well.

I just learned a practice long ago, every few minutes I habitually press the center position to CYA...

That's funny, I do the same thing!

I was riding cross country with a friend about a year ago and he was watching me do it and he said man, I've never seen anyone so OCD about making sure there blinkers weren't on, lol.

I was riding cross country with a friend about a year ago and he was watching me do it and he said man, I've never seen anyone so OCD about making sure there blinkers weren't on, lol.

Always worked for me. I was pretty amazed that the 1978 SR500 I had a few years back had factory self cancelling signals that still worked. But I am an OCD button pusher from long ago.
:rider:

I did one for a fellow that would beep if the turn sig ran for more than a minute. It ran off a uP timer that was reset if the brake light came on so it wouldn't go off at a stop light.

I just learned a practice long ago, every few minutes I habitually press the center position to CYA...

I have done that for years. Then I got a Harley. The signal self cancels, and when I hit the button with my left thumb it turns back on.:doh:

Back