• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle rack for flatbed trailer

JTS

Reaction score
I have a trip to Colorado planned for next week and have been trying to figure out how I am going to haul my Can-Am Defender and motorcycles on one trailer. I looked online but didn’t really find what I was looking for so last night I got stared building a rack that I could bolt to the trailer floor and hold everything securely. This took about three hours to get this far.

6660457260370f7f6a531f927dd38e7f.jpg

25105504bca2c0bcb3a3b6ed7aac9da0.jpg

cebf000129c750bbf4d64bd73b9f1e91.jpg

04d8506192f2070cede41cd5f820ad8c.jpg

Here are some pictures. I still need to weld on some rings to attach straps from the bike to the rack. I’ll try and get it finished tonight. I am open to comments or suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. What about 45 degree cut then cap on bottom square tubes where front wheels roll in. You have done a first class job

So the three bikes are KTM 1190R, KTM 500 EXC, and my daughters KLX 140. I'm planning on putting the 140 in the middle of the other two. Its short enough that the handle bars don't interfere.

So the three bikes are KTM 1190R, KTM 500 EXC, and my daughters KLX 140. I'm planning on putting the 140 in the middle of the other two. Its short enough that the handle bars don't interfere.

:thumb:

Very nice. What about 45 degree cut then cap on bottom square tubes where front wheels roll in. You have done a first class job

Agree with this; be sure you take any sharps off the cut edges/welds near the tires. It'd be a rough trip to get there and have a flat.

Excellent design/fab job- looks perfect to fit the need.

I bought the big square front wheel racks from either northern tool or harbor freight , don't remember which , drilled two holes in the floor for each bike shoe and drop bolts thru then strap my bikes wheels to the Etrak on the trailer floor , I've never had a bike shift when under way . Pretty sure the bike shoes were less than 50 bucks each . Mines an enclosed trailer and I don't check inside when on the road .

If the upper bar and legs were hinged and then pinned in the upper position, it could then be unpinned and folded down and not have to remove it to load and unload the SbS.

All it would take is 6 plates
cut the welds to the base plate
Weld plates to the legs that extend down
Drill holes in the plates and base
5/16" grade 8 bolt and nylock or double nut for the hinge

Then

Last edited:
Like this ...

Still needs a bit of fine tuning, but you get the drift.

50092f00c0fa25329f483b4d4ebf8042.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dang Mitch, you need to give me some of these good ideas. I ain't very smart.

2001fefd8ee9654139427e0624b48ea8.jpg

bacea5387cc68f7a76f5efc5f562bf49.jpg

I welded on the D rings and drilled holes to bolt the rack down and started running out of time. I would like to have painted it and 45 the feet but that will have to wait until I get back. One idea I have is possibly welding some receiver tube on the rack and just attaching it to the Defender.

I got everything strapped down and it seem secure. I’m heading to CO early in the a.m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue will be when she gets a bigger bike. You can set the center one back a little farther with a spacer to keep the center bike back farther so the bars don't interfere. Can just add it later. Slick idea though. The bed buddy has a spacer like that for a third bike.

Looks good to serve the need you have right now.

Would suggest a support at either end (maybe by each D-ring), so the stress from the bikes moving about isn't all sitting on the bottom welds (the one shown as a pivot point in the drawing above). If you do turn it into a pivot point during a future build, the you'd want a bolt-on solution, anyway.

Have a fabulous trip! Looks like a party going on there!

Back