• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jetting blasphemy

Reaction score
I'm sure this post will seem like blasphemy to a number of performance riders but I have to say it, and ask a question. :)

I have a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S that I saved from a 9 year storage it was in. The owner put K&N air pods and monster jets to compensate. At first I was fine with it once I got everything dialed in until I saw my gas mileage. **** NEAR 30 MPG!!!! That blows chunks!!! Soooooo what I decided to do since I ride to work and back 5 days a week here in San Diego is to "un"jet it and take it back to stock.....I know....basically the reverse of what most do.

I bought an airbox and the stock main jets aren't expensive...buuuuuut I'm not sure it he changed the diaphram needle yet, but the question I have for you awesome people is:

What is the stock placement for the "E" clip on the needle?

I talked to a few shops out here and they couldn't tell me, and the service manual doesn't specify that I have found. There are several notches of the needle and the old owner had washers galore on it.

I hope someone might have a picture of the placement..AND!!! a picture of a stock needle so I can see if it is tapered differently than mine.

Thanks in advance for any input. I go by Surf Daze on youtube if you want to see the bike.

Happy Gilmore

My suggestion is to check with Holeshot for a jet kit. I jetted my Gen 1 FZ1, and the holeshot kit was simple. The basic settings for sea level were perfect and i was getting about 4 or 5 mpg better than stock and much smoother performance. Well worth the $100 I spent! The instructions were easy to follow, so the guesswork was eliminated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Main jets come into play at wfo only , everybody screams bigger mains sometimes it helps , most of the time it kills your mileage . If your bike won't accelerate pulling a steep hill at wfo go up a size or two on the mains till it does pull . Everything else is done with the needles lowering the clip increases gas flow raising the clip it decreases flow , with the over size mains and spacers on the needles your as bad as it can get . Normally stock needles are not the best . In fact I have seen needles that came out of a Suzuki dr that were not tapered , talk about extreamly flat spots in mid range . Look at stock needles , if it is a smooth taper from top to bottom try those and if you feel any flat spots during slow smooth acceleration lower the clip one step at a time till it's smoothed out . That will get you best mileage and adaquate performance . Also with oversize mains and needles if you try to go over a mountain pass you might make but it will be a struggle . I do not rejet my bikes for high altitude so mine tend to run on the slightly lean side at sealeval but I can cross a 12,000 pass without struggling , I mean the bike , not me . Don't know about inline fours but I do know on v twins the rear carb is usally jetted a little fatter because of the reduced air flow on that cylinder and some air cooled three cylinders jetted the center cylinder fatter for that same reason . with water cooling that shouldn't be much of an issue .

Last edited:
Serious advice here..... Forget the stock configuration and get a Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit. Follow the instructions to a tee. It helps if you have an aftermarket pipe too. Everything - including mileage - will improve.

Stock on mine was 38-40 mpg... Stage 1 kit IS 43-45 mpg with over 100,000 miles of testing. :trust:

Last edited:
Ditto on the hole shot kit.
I switched my ZRX1100 to pods with the hole shot stage two kit and picked up 17hp and 2 more mpg.

One more note about holeshot... as said above, just follow the instructions to the letter, and you're done.

However if you do have issues, just call. Dale takes care of his customers. He's a great guy and can help if you need it. On the other hand, it's pretty straight-forward. Should be no issues.

If the needles have been changed out, the best approach may be going back to stock needles. On my FZ1 i could get to the carb tops without pulling carbs for fine tuning, but it turned out that Dale's recomended settings were best anyway!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back