• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just a PSA for those that are home mechanics

E.Marquez

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
When you’re trying to diagnose a problem on your car truck or motorcycle keep in mind just because it’s a new part doesn’t mean it isn’t broke or miss assembled

Yesterday I had a factory new sealed in boxed carburetor part that was Mis-assembled at the factory

A quick look at it before install and appeared to be the correct part for the application I was working on.

after assembly and reinstalling the carburetor there was a throttle issue I couldn’t attribute to just a dirty carburetor which is why the bike came in

Switching to another carburetor known to be good other than this one part I move the new part to that second carburetor and installed it .... and the issue followed

Carb back apart again and a close inspection of the New vacuum valve assembly and it was obvious what it happened

A spring that was supposed to be underneath the needle had been assembled on top of the needle pushing it down in the assembly instead of lifting it under spring tension, making the fuel needle about 5 mm to long it still fit just fine in the carb body but It completely messed up the air fuel and operation of the vacuum valve

New parts may be new but they’re not necessarily correct working or not broken until confirmed

Words of wisdom right there!

I've been an aircraft mechanic for over 30 years and I can't count the number of times a replacement part turned out to be defective. Sometimes you end up with a whole new symtpom, but many times you have the exact same symptom you did before. Many hours can be spent chasing a ghost when your first call was right and you simply refuse to believe that same part is defective. Eventually you learn!

BTDT. I have wasted time, doubted myself and lost sleep over issues like these. Not just on airplanes either. I went through 5 FWD axles to get 2 good ones on a Toyota. I spent the better part of a day unnecessarily troubleshooting an electrical problem because the rebuilt windshield wiper motor was doing the exact same thing as the old one etc.

I really love it at work when I get a bizarre illogical fault that eventually is traced to some moron trying to fix a standard simple fault and hooking up the air lines/ wiring all wrong. :headbang:

Words of wisdom right there!

I've been an aircraft mechanic for over 30 years and I can't count the number of times a replacement part turned out to be defective. Sometimes you end up with a whole new symtpom, but many times you have the exact same symptom you did before. Many hours can be spent chasing a ghost when your first call was right and you simply refuse to believe that same part is defective. Eventually you learn!

AS a guy who relies on air transport just about every week that gives me even less confidence in the airlines that I previously had (which wasn't much to begin with)... :doh:

BTDT. I have wasted time, doubted myself and lost sleep over issues like these. Not just on airplanes either. I went through 5 FWD axles to get 2 good ones on a Toyota. I spent the better part of a day unnecessarily troubleshooting an electrical problem because the rebuilt windshield wiper motor was doing the exact same thing as the old one etc.

I have been in the car business for 30 years so I know sadly about these issues. We have purchased parts that were rebuilt and did not work straight from the box. One parts house kept sending us bad alternators. The second one we marked with a sharpie on the end were it was not real noticeable. Can you believe that they sent it to us again saying it was a different one???:giveup: That was the last time we ever ordered a part from them.

I have been in the car business for 30 years so I know sadly about these issues. We have purchased parts that were rebuilt and did not work straight from the box. One parts house kept sending us bad alternators. The second one we marked with a sharpie on the end were it was not real noticeable. Can you believe that they sent it to us again saying it was a different one???:giveup: That was the last time we ever ordered a part from them.

Sounds like something O’rely’s would do.

I saw inside of the cardone auto reman factory , they hire mickeyd rejects .

I think monkeys probly work cheaper for the same results .

Haha

They are complex systems comparatively speaking. Sometimes upwards of 1 million pieces, all hurtling through the air in unison at speeds nothing less than lethal and held together only by a little bit of friction. :sun:

Seriously though, airtravel has never been safer and it's many times safer than crossing dfw, houston, or austin 9 days a week.

One thing to remember, in regards to the old adage of you get what you pay for....think of that when you're shopping tickets and see those low price "deals"

Agreed. Even though we get bad parts occasionally, our processes for operational checks, post flight maintenance and frequent inspections work to catch unwanted results.

Autozone.

I've always had better luck with O'rielly's. I guess every one's experience is different. Franky though, in the stores I shop it's not the parts, but the guys behind the counter that make the difference. My O'rielly's generally has more knowledgeable folks, although that may not be saying much.

Absolutely! IMHO only the space industry exceeds the level of testing, inspections, corrective and preventative maintenance currently found in our industry. If people really knew what it takes, they would be surprised how cheap airfare is.

I also have had great luck with O'Reillys as well as NAPA. Autozone/Chiefs on the other hand...not so much

I guess we have gotten away from the OPs intent though....thanks for the reminder Erik!

Such as: https://futurism.com/new-shepard-rocket-blue-origin/

Back