• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shortening the legs on the center stand

Zephyr

Reaction score
I've always been a bit intimidated by the effort it takes to lift my bikes on their center stands. Duchess had a great solution: push my bike's rear tire onto a board. The effort goes down by half.

Bryan L pm'ed me an even better solution.

"Another option is to shorten the center stand . I have modified center stands for years . C14 , Bandits , FJR1300's . My brother , and Son both have Super T's , and imagine I'll be making one of theirs shorter soon . Not much has to be removed ( usually 5/8 " ) is perfect for easier lifting . Also makes tire changes easy .
I can send you a few pictures if you like .
One key if you get a local welder to do it is the foot on each side need to be retained , and reused ."

The site does not allow the size of my photos of a C14 stand next to a stock unit I modified . Maybe I'll upload to photo bucket tomorrow .
It is recommended to buy a 2nd hand one to do this to . They are all usually cheap on E bay . This allows the builder to set the foot correctly .

Something to point a tall center stand allows front wheel service to by adding weight to rear , strapping it down , or using a block on the header to prop front up . This will go away once stand is shortened . However you can always put a 1 x 4 under center stand feet cross ways to get this option back in a pinch for road side repairs or service .

My wife's Bandit is so low that when on center stand the rear tire if NEW actually lightly drags the ground when turning it by hand .

Actually, that's on my to-do list since I lowered my VStrom a year or 2 ago. I have to use a rather complicated system with boards to get it on & off the center stand. I've got a cousin who can weld or fabricate anything.

I had problems until I learned "The Balance".
Set you foot on the stand and rock back while pulling up. The bike pops up on the center stand. What was once hard, became easy. I weigh 175#, not a heavy weight, muscle bound guy. It is way less effort than picking a bike up after it is dumped on it's side!
My "new" 2006 Wee needs a center stand.
Does anyone have experience with the Happy Trails center stand? RH

I installed a Happy Trails on my '12 Wee. From the getgo, I found it harder to use than the Studebaker brand that was on my '05. I can't tell you why, but it was harder to lever up, even before the bike was lowered. That said, it was manageable &, once up, just as solid & secure as any other center stand I've used on other bikes.

I had problems until I learned "The Balance".
Set you foot on the stand and rock back while pulling up. The bike pops up on the center stand. What was once hard, became easy. I weigh 175#, not a heavy weight, muscle bound guy. It is way less effort than picking a bike up after it is dumped on it's side!
My "new" 2006 Wee needs a center stand.
Does anyone have experience with the Happy Trails center stand? RH

I would like to see the 'balance' technique and learn it. Perhaps you'll be at a pie run or MG&E soon.

Zephyr I made this video for you . Hope it explains what you are wanting to know .

[ame="https://youtu.be/BPIjdaZRwII"]Motorcycle center stand application - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks Bryan, great video. It explains your balance technique very well. It looks effortless and it is. I don't have to worry about the bike falling over with all of my weight on the center stand. I've always had one foot on the ground to brace the bike in case it started to lean. Flawed technique.

Cuz'n Bob is a show off when putting my RT on the center stand. He lightly holds the left handlebar between two fingers and puts all of his weight on the center stand lever. It rises like it's on an elevator.

On my Royal Enfield factory center stand it is very easy to put up on it and I sometimes ride off it. I personally like rear tire a few inched off ground. I put a weight on rear rack or strap to pull rear wheel to ground and it lifts the front wheel off ground for service. I would call mine balanced. I had a KLR that was hard to pull up and would take a lot of effort to rock the front wheel up. I also put on first gear and run rear on center stand to brush and lube chain. I use one of those blue chain brushes. Some may call it dangerous I have no problem with it. If the center stand has the rear wheel touching ground it is too low for me. no problem with it. If it is only a 1/2 inch off ground it will touch in dirt. This is just my opinion.

I have a friend with a '15 or '16 wee with the Happy Trails center stand (unmodified) and I use Bryan L's technique to pop it up to lube the chain or rear wheel/brake maintenance. I can just stand on the center stand and it pops up with no lifting effort. When I installed the stand, there are 2 large bolts which required serious effort to break loose. Other than that, it went on fairly easy.

For people that use the center stand infrequently and struggle to get it deployed, it may help to buy a short piece of galvanized plumbing pipe and put on the center stand "lever".

The additional length will give you more torque and make it easier to lift. You can even put a cap on one end to get rid of the sharp edge where you'd put your foot.

The center stands on bikes are different so I can't tell you the length or the diameter of the pipe, but something that fits over the existing lever without a lot of play and lengthens the existing lever by a foot should work and add quite a bit of torque.

Anyway...just a solution that costs less than $10 and doesn't require permanent modification to the bike.

Obvious downside is that it's only available when you are in your garage unless you carry the pipe with you.

Just an idea...hope it helps someone.

Last edited:
Don't overthink it ...

Lay a piece of scrap 1x lumber on the floor
roll the rear wheel up on it.
deploy the CS

That 3/4" in height, will make all the difference in the world.
The rear wheel should be high enough to pull the lumber out.
If not, rotate the rear tire and the lumber should eject easily enough.

I weigh 150 and can pop the 850+ lb motorhome up on the sidestand without resorting to planks or cheater bars. It will go. Just do it like you own it.

Back