• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advice for friend getting back on bike?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

After my morning Moto Guzzi ride (bella veloce) I got a text from my friend Jeff here in Houston. Yep, he pulled the trigger on a pretty red BMW R 1200 ST. Big grin. He also has a very old BMW that he used to ride with a side car. Memories for me: in that side car cruising Littleton, CO back around 1990. Jeff was a long time rider, but has not swung a leg in a long time.

He said he is taking the Basic Riders Course, and will take it easy. Overall he is a very common sense guy, early sixties, smart as **** and mechanical beyond belief. Given that, he lives on the west side just inside Beltway 8, lots of traffic, etc.

I could not stop giving a bit of advice: kudos on the BRC, wear ear plugs, etc. Likely we will get together soon, I may ride up to his place for a look.

Without being a pain: what safety advice would you give a returning rider? I had two mentors help me out, and that made a huge difference about ten years ago. High traffic density and freeways intimidated me since I grew up riding in Durango, CO back in the late sixties.

If he's already got the experience, I'd just make sure he knows that I'm available for any questions / discussions he might want to bring up. Other than that, I wouldn't be forcing anything down his throat.

I returned about a year and a half ago. I would suggest he spend his Saturdays doing disciplined exercises in an empty parking lot. Lots of panic stops, quick weaves, slow U-turns, etc. ATGATT

Good for you, perhaps you will have a solid riding partner , plus he can fix your bike! :thumb:

Will he be joining the frey here?

I haven't had a panic stop yet in traffic (mainly avoid those high density areas amap). I would say, always give those left hand turners a second look and perhaps a slow down or at least a close brake cover. They wait for you to get closer, then like a cat, they pounce, and pull into you.

Something like this video... I would be suspicious of this intersection in the first place because of all the backed up , inpatient line of cars. Just don't trust people. Saying this, you (or I) can't anticipate everything thats for sure.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NOMRpcC1r_w"]Sept 12th 2017 Near miss. Left hand turner again! - YouTube[/ame]

This guy now has to decide if he wants to stop at the nearest Exxon or wait till he gets home.

Last edited:
My 2c
You could always ask if he wants advice and adjust yourself from there.
Having said that, gear has improved tremendously, technology even more, casual conversations can go a long way from there. If you get to go for a ride with him you can assess his current skill level and figure out if you even need to worry about him, (because it sounds a little like you are worried about him).

Taking the rider's course, and all of the other suggestions here are excellent. It sounds like Jeff lives in my part of town. Casual riding during the week is just impossible due to the traffic and heat. However, heading west on Saturday and Sunday mornings isn't a problem. The backroads between Brookshire and Bellville are a good place to ride because there isn't much traffic.

Last edited:
when I came back to riding after having not ridden in over 2 decades, I started out just riding in my neighborhood. Then worked my way up to the bigger streets around my neighbor hood. I then did what someone else said and road it out to the country roads around Bellville and the SJNF. Took my time getting on the Frwy. but it all came back to me fairly quick. Just take his time feeling out the bike and getting use to the traffic. This ain't Durango. ATGATT!

xcaliber,

Perfect advise, pretty much what I did ten years ago when getting back into riding.

when I came back to riding after having not ridden in over 2 decades, I started out just riding in my neighborhood. Then worked my way up to the bigger streets around my neighbor hood. I then did what someone else said and road it out to the country roads around Bellville and the SJNF. Took my time getting on the Frwy. but it all came back to me fairly quick. Just take his time feeling out the bike and getting use to the traffic. This ain't Durango. ATGATT!

About two decades, it can go different.

Took the MSF to get my license.
2 weeks later drove my Jeep to dealership in Boerne on a Saturday.
Rode back road behind dealership back to IH10 access road.
Rode home on IH10 to 410 to Harry Wurzbach
Rode up to Bandera and around there on SH16 the next day and enjoyed the solitude.
Rode bike to work the next day.
Rode almost daily since.

Not saying that taking it easy is wrong btw, just saying taking it easy can be done in many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back