• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another Vstrom

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Howdy from Waller. Jeff's been telling me about all the Strom folks in here so I figured it was time to join. Actually, my old FJ finally died and I had to wait until I got a another bike. I couldn't deal with all the talk about riding and not have a ride.

:welcome: assimilated rider! :borg:

Always good to get more 'Strom riders. 650 or 1000?

If you haven't already, check out these V-Strom forums:
Stromtroopers
VSRI
(if I don't tell you, Squeaky will chew me out)

randy-r said:
Howdy from Waller. Jeff's been telling me about all the Strom folks in here so I figured it was time to join. Actually, my old FJ finally died and I had to wait until I got a another bike. I couldn't deal with all the talk about riding and not have a ride.

Yes his FJ died. Actually the verbal abuse about having no rideable bike (has a familiar ring to it) got him on the V-strom and on to TWT. Welcome Randy. for those that want to know, Randy has a YELLOW one. It is the faster model right?:trust:

Scott, you need a need catagory..forum recruiter....:clap:

jhansen said:
Scott, you need a need catagory..forum recruiter....:clap:
It'd be interesting to see what the referral numbers look like. I know a lot of new folks don't bother to fill that in when they are registering, though.

Gilk51 said:
(if I don't tell you, Squeaky will chew me out)
...and then spit you out!

Welcome aboard fellow Strommer! I've been seeing more and more out on the roads, but it still makes me smile every time I pass one. :rider:

oh great, another ugly bike :rolleyes: :duck:

totally kidding, those are kool machines.

Welcome to the board! :wave:

tx-vfr said:
oh great, another ugly bike :rolleyes:

I see it as a built-in anti-theft device.
If I park near a bunch of CBR/FZ/SV types, my bike is so ugly the thieves don't want it!

Swing by the Hill tonite , A few of us are going to ride out for a burger Around 7 PM . SEYA

Welcome, fellow adventure-tourer. We have enough now for a large centralized Strom-gathering (in cooler weather).

Eulogite said:
Welcome, fellow adventure-tourer. We have enough now for a large centralized Strom-gathering (in cooler weather).

I get lots of wind with very little buffeting, so the heat isn't that bad as long as I'm moving. When it gets too hot, I just stand on the pegs and "fly" through the breeze! :mrgreen:

I also must add this quote from Randy...

"I ride mine, I don't wash it." Telling if you ask me. he will fit right in here.:clap:

busarider1 said:
Woohoo! The brother/sisterhood grows stronger!!!

I get asked sometimes why I have a V when a lot of guys have the Wee. I actually wanted the baby brother but got a better deal on the big guy!

"I ride mine, I don't wash it."
Was it? Why would you want to do that? The last time mine saw soap was Sept 2005!

Squeaky said:
Wash it? Why would you want to do that? The last time mine saw soap was Sept 2005!

Bugs and dirt make it run better. :thumb:

I’ve got a 1000. Had told Jeff the only problems with it, its yellow and hits 85mph before you know it. Wasn’t sure how that combo would work. Figure’d I might have to camouflage it with dirt.

So far I’m liking it. I’ve heard folks talk about the heat off them. Being used to a 20 year old air cooled bike, the Strom ain’t too bad. Actually its kinda nice in traffic being at eye level with SUV’s. I can tell if they’re talking on the phone or looking at their laptop.

Welcome fellow Strom-Trooper.

I like that I can see through the suv.

When I was looking to replace my VStar 1100 I was thinking about the FZ6 but kept going back to the Strom. And when my wife sat on the pillion of both that kind of sealed the deal on the Strom. The back seat is waaayyyy more comfortable than the FZ.

Squeaky said:
I get lots of wind with very little buffeting, so the heat isn't that bad as long as I'm moving. :mrgreen:

I'm wearing a cool vest and mesh suit and doing well, but like you say, only while moving. It's too hot to for a picnic, which I prefer to indoor gatherings.

Squeaky said:
When it gets too hot, I just stand on the pegs and "fly" through the breeze!

Do you pretend that your Leonardo de Caprio when you do that? :lol2:

Like a Pug puppy my VStrom followed me home one day. I thought it was kinda ugly, but endearing at the same time. I have owned many in-line fours, and several "thumpers". This time I wanted a twin, and I really wanted EFI. The more I looked at what bikes fit that criterion, the more the VStrom seemed to be a logical choice. One test ride later and I was sold.

I went for the DL1000 because I had admitted to myself that I would be more inclined to explore a dirt road than cut a new trail. My VStrom is an Uber-commuter! I ride from Temple to Fort Hood on the back roads. The best part of my work day is the commute.

Welcome to the site :wave:

I used to collect that comic ;-)

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer to call it "utilitarian".

It is probably just splitting hairs, but I tend to see the KLR and DR as "utilitariian". Resonable ergos, bullet proof reliability. Just enough civility to make a good commuter. The adventure bikes may be the SUV of the motorcycle world, as my VStrom it rather plush.

Back