• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Jari (Dallas)

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm moving to Dallas somewhere between October-December from Finland. I had a job interview a couple of months ago, and I will start at UTSW. The climate and food (we had a dinner at Uncle Julio's) were excellent :). If you have any suggestions where to rent an apartment, please let me know. I have heard positive comments about The Village area...

Jari, I'm from the Ft Worth side of town, so I don't know Dallas too well. Someone will be along shortly who can help you in that area, rest assured. Welcome to the United States, Texas, and Two Wheeled Texas!

Are you bringing a motorcycle with you from Finland?

pacman1 said:
Jari, I'm from the Ft Worth side of town, so I don't know Dallas too well. Someone will be along shortly who can help you in that area, rest assured. Welcome to the United States, Texas, and Two Wheeled Texas!

Are you bringing a motorcycle with you from Finland?

Thanks :). Well, actually I was planning to buy one from Dallas and maybe to bring it back to Finland some day.

Welcome to Dallas. It looks like you will be busy for a couple of years. Are you going to bring a bike with you or get one here?

Hemibee said:
:welcome: to the site. Finland to Dallas, wow that has to be a big change.

Actually it seems that there are a lot of people from Finland working in Dallas area. There are a couple of Finnish companies (e.g. Nokia) in the area. And Dallas Stars has five Finnish players, it is like coming home :).

You going to Med School? If so, you might be too busy to ride? I grew up in Dallas. The Village area is ok. Lots of singles in that area. Property crimes might be a little on the high side.

Lots of people moving to Uptown area, I75/Mckinney but rent might be a bit steep.
Lots of Condos for rent in Skillman area. Find a nice complex and you'd be ok. Some complexes have had "bad elements" move in.

Got a sister that lives in Virginia Manor in Oak Cliff. Quick to get to UTSW. Complex is really quiet but area around it is a bit rough. Rent prices are great.

Glad to have you on site. Hollar when you get a cycle and join us on a ride. Dunno how it will compare to Finland.
Yeah, go STARS! I grew up in TX but LOVE hockey

:welcome: Jari
I know nothing about the Dallas rental market but I'm certain you can find something reasonably priced nearby.
:thumb: on the bike purchase.
Another rider on another forum (more bad language than here) posted pics of a trip to Norway.
Is Norway's countryside anything like Finland?
Man, it would be a great place to ride. 8-)

Welcome! :) i know a lot about apartments north of 635, but not the rest of town, sorry!

Welcome to the site :wave:

So you like the climate? Have you experienced many of the 100+ F days here? The folks in that area have been taking a real beating this summer in terms of heat and a lack of rain... Gotta be a big switch coming from Finland!?

I hope you find a good place. Welcome to Texas!

donroger1 said:
:welcome: Jari
I know nothing about the Dallas rental market but I'm certain you can find something reasonably priced nearby.
:thumb: on the bike purchase.
Another rider on another forum (more bad language than here) posted pics of a trip to Norway.
Is Norway's countryside anything like Finland?
Man, it would be a great place to ride. 8-)

Thanks! Finnish countryside looks like that, but we don't have so many mountains :)

Tourmeister said:
Welcome to the site :wave:

So you like the climate? Have you experienced many of the 100+ F days here? The folks in that area have been taking a real beating this summer in terms of heat and a lack of rain... Gotta be a big switch coming from Finland!?

I hope you find a good place. Welcome to Texas!

Thanks! I was there on March, it was like Finnish spring season :). I heard that the summer was brutal at least in Dallas. How do you ride in that kind of temperatures? We have saunas (176-250F) but we don't wear anything in there ;)

Good luck on move, and be sure to join us for Thursday night coffee at the
Plano Meet and Greet. (We'll show you both of the good roads to ride outside Dallas.)

J.Rossi said:
Hi!

I'm moving to Dallas somewhere between October-December from Finland. I had a job interview a couple of months ago, and I will start at UTSW. The climate and food (we had a dinner at Uncle Julio's) were excellent :). If you have any suggestions where to rent an apartment, please let me know. I have heard positive comments about The Village area...

The climate? Boy, are you in for a surprise when summer comes around again!

Of course, next to a Finnish winter, the Dallas winter should be down right balmy to a Finn.

Welcome to Texas where the only requirement to be a Texan is to (1) move here, and (2) want to be a Texan.

Lee

old paul said:
Good luck on move, and be sure to join us for Thursday night coffee at the
Plano Meet and Greet. (We'll show you both of the good roads to ride outside Dallas.)

leekellerking said:
Welcome to Texas where the only requirement to be a Texan is to (1) move here, and (2) want to be a Texan.

Thanks! During my last visit I bought a "Don't Mess With Texas" T-shirt :trust:

J.Rossi said:

You are starting out on the right track! Seriously, there were people from something like 22 countries at the Alamo. Texas has always been the place you could go when nowhere else wanted you.

To quote Sam Houston, on the occasion of losing a bid to be re-elected as Governor of Tennessee and being asked what he would do next:

"You can go to ****; I'm going to Texas."

Lee

J.Rossi said:

You are starting out on the right track! Seriously, there were people from something like 22 countries at the Alamo. Texas has always been the place you could go when nowhere else wanted you.

To quote Sam Houston, on the occasion of losing a bid to be re-elected as Governor of Tennessee and being asked what he would do next:

"You can go to H-E-doublehockey sticks; I'm going to Texas."

Lee

(Scott won't let us use the "H" word). 8-)

(And we love him for it!)

Back