• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Katy

Reaction score
First Name
Deborah
Hello. It's been a long time since I have had a bike of my own. Been riding with someone for a while, but now that he is out of the picture I found myself missing the ride. Decided it was time to go solo. I rode a bike many, many eons ago, but that was another lifetime so I guess I am starting over.

My experience thus far has been 'eventful' but fun. As a companion rider I rarely rode in a helmet, shorts and a tank top were pretty much my gear and I didn't really think twice about what shoes, usually sandals, I was wearing. I got myself into a BRC course as a refresher, had a minor crash mid-through second day and broke a rib... I finished the course without telling the instructor as I figured it was just a bruise. The experience definitely gave me a new respect for riding. I have a full face helmet, some decent leather boots and I don't go out in anything less than jeans and a jean jacket, not to mention my fitted leather gloves.

I bought a Honda Rebel because I figured it was a decent starter and it is small enough my son can also ride it if he takes the BRC.

So far I am still 'healing' so my rides have been pretty short. Any recommendations on places to go in the area for a newbie? I guess I am still a little self-concious riding by myself.... the folks at blockbuster look at me kind of funny... 90 degrees outside and in i walk in my gear to grab a movie... but then maybe I am imagining it ;-)

Great to have you here. I also am new to gear and returning to riding this yr after 9 years off. I always wore helmet and t shirt with bluejeans in years gone by. But these people rubbed off on me and now me and my wife are wearing helmet and jackets all the time. Gear is a good thing I have come to find out, no matter how hot. I think there are several twt members in your area so be looking for rides and bike nights to meet some of the gang. Check out ebay and newenough.com for some good buys on gear.

Welcome DLW!

Sorry to hear about your injury but I'm glad to hear you have taken something positive from the experience as in understanding the need for proper riding gear.:zen:

Heading out from Katy, there are some nice routes out towards Fayetteville via Brookshire. Keep an eye out for folks posting up about rides.

Best of luck with the new scoot!:rider:

:welcome: Welcome to the site.

To borrow from and old ad, Gear "never leave home without it." You never know when you might want to get some looks at Blockbuster.........:mrgreen:

Welcome to the site. There are several brands of mesh armored (pads in the right places) riding apparel. I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket which is tolerable even on 100 degree days.

Happy and safe riding to you!

so I won't look like a poser in a bright white mesh Johnny Rocket jacket on my little Rebel? :rider: white would match my pretty pearl pain oh so well... any place online to get a good price cause my jacket is way hot!!

:sun: Wow! I was just at Wild West looking at a similar jacket an hour ago... this price is amazing. I ordered one of course.... in blue to match the light kit that's headed my way. (the guys at wild west think i am nuts to add to a rebel, but if i am going to ride it why not ;-)

Thanks so much for the tip. You guys really make a girl feel welcome!

DLW_Katy said:
You guys really make a girl feel welcome!
OK, :welcome: as well

You will find that there are quite a few gals on here as well. They should wish you well and invite you to one of their "Grrrls Only" rides. :roll:

The rebel is a good choice, too! :thumb:

Gilk51 said:
OK, :welcome: as well

You will find that there are quite a few gals on here as well. They should wish you well and invite you to one of their "Grrrls Only" rides. :roll:

The rebel is a good choice, too! :thumb:

I believe it was the "Leaning Ladies" there Chuck. I am sure the rocking throwing, er, corrections will be coming soon.:trust:

jhansen said:
I believe it was the "Leaning Ladies" there Chuck. I am sure the rocking throwing, er, corrections will be coming soon.:trust:
I'll tell 'em Jeff said it first... :trust:

and I thought it was "Lunching Ladies". Oh well, I'll dig a deeper hole. I just hope they remember to welcome DLW before they lash out at me... :yawn:

Has anyone mentioned the regular Katy bike night? :mrgreen:

Howdy :wave: from another gal on two wheels.

The guys are poking fun at us ladies because I set up a ride a few weeks back and excluded the "testosterone types". We had a lovely brunch at an old B&B up north, and I'll probably do another one when it starts to cool down.

Sorry that you had to learn about the importance of gear the hard way, but it could have been much worse. Any crash that you walk away from is a good one. I just can't believe you finished out the riding test wit a broken rib!

:tab I would get a few thousand miles under your belt before trying group rides. Groups rides have a whole different dynamic that riding by yourself and it can lead many people to making mistakes, especially when they are not already confident on their bike. It won't take you long to hit a few thousand miles and it will do wonders for your long term enjoyment with group riding.

:tab Congrats on the bike. They are great bikes and the pearl white looks so much better than the plain black. Good move on getting the gear!

:tab Welcome to the site!

thanks for the advice. That pretty much agrees with what I already surmised based on my own comfort level. I wouldn't want anyone else to get hurt because of me for sure.

I'd recommend starting with a small pack of four riders or less when you're ready to try out the group ride thing.

Riding by yourself is fine for a new rider if you plan on staying close to home. When you're ready to venture out a few miles on a longer trip, it's always a good idea to have at least one other rider with you from a safety point of view.:rider:

Yeah, there is that... I do tend to just take off and go....its hard to remember its been a longtime since I am pretty comfortable on the bike.... It has occured to me that the bike is new and I could end up stranded somewhere. Guess i better find me a couple folks that i wont bore to death with my slow pace soon!:eek2:

DLW_Katy said:
so I won't look like a poser in a bright white mesh Johnny Rocket jacket on my little Rebel? :rider: white would match my pretty pearl pain oh so well... any place online to get a good price cause my jacket is way hot!!

Mine's an ultra cool K from http://www.brosh.com . Excellent jacket, kevlar and soft armor, the mesh is under the arms, on the forearms and in the back and all but the underarms zip up. I like it 'cause on a long, hot ride, it keeps the sun from burning my lilly white skin.:mrgreen: It's actually cooler than not wearing it and I can dump water on it if it gets REALLY hot.

:welcome: DLW

Glad you decided to stick with riding and get your own bike. :thumb: Hope you heal up soon. Be sure to check the Upcoming Rides/Events section for a Bike Night in Katy. They usually have one every other week and should be due for one next week. Hope to meet you soon. I'm actually heading to Katy this evening. :rider:

Welcome! When I'm not at Ft. Benning, or spending time with my extended family/girlfriend in Beaumont - I'm roaming around Katy myself :) There's plenty of good folks out in the area that ride, heck I'm even related to some of 'em ;)

Thermalser said:
Heading out from Katy, there are some nice routes out towards Fayetteville via Brookshire.

Welcome to the sight :rider: . Thermalser hit the nail on the head. If you PM me I can tell you the route. Snoopster and I head to Fayetteville every once in a while (from Katy) to have breakfast and then head back for a short trip. I will be posting up A bike night for next Thursday at Willies in Katy. I hope to see you there!

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome! I would love to come meet you guys and Willie's is just down the street so I will look forward to it happening soon.

Back