• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello Austin!

Reaction score
Well, this isn't so much an intro as a "hey, I'm back," I guess. I'll start from the beginning...

Started riding dirtbikes when I was probably too young, and it's been downhill from there... Managed to sweet talk my dad into letting me get a Rebel 250 while I was still in high school (and still too, well, just not ready for a bike...), and that didn't end well. Spent a summer on it, put about 4k miles on it, and then low sided into a mail box. Ouch. Broke my L2 vertebre and spent 3 months in a turtle shell...

Took ~4 years off and couldn't help myself. Bought a '94 GS500 for $300 from some fella that didn't run, or look worth $.01 for that matter...

beginning.jpg

Managed to turn it into this...

fixed.jpg

Pretty much put everything I could in that bike for almost 2 years... (Thanks again Squeeky for the awesome paint work!), while still in school it was a pretty slow process of time/money constraints trying to fix up the bike. Put about 10k miles on her, and have memories I'll never forget.... ugh.

Well, it got time to graduate (with a history degree....... :doh: ), so I sold it against my gut feeling to a guy that I thought would treat her right. Well, two days later, he managed to do this: :angryfire: (BTW: Those are THICK walled aftermarket handlebars which had never been broken by anyone that I know of...)

wrecked.JPG

So, here we are, a year later, and I am going crazy not having a bike. Selling my GS, especially since I know it got trashed right back to the terrible shape I rescued it from, has to be one of my worst decisions ever... :giveup:

I've had my eyes set on an SV650 for years now, the GS was just a stepping stone I feel like. So I'm trying to find an '03+ SV, preferably a naked, and hopefully I'll be back on the road before winter gets here. Still trying to save as much as I'd like, but I'm almost there, and I'm antsy in the pantsy... :lol2:

Anyway, just a "Hello!" to everyone, hope to see you out on the road soon, if anyone knows of any SVs in the area that are for sale now or in the near future, let me know!

trey

Glad to see you back. Sorry the GS didn't make it...

Give me shout when you get your bike. We'll ride and discuss that History degree ;-)

Welcome back!

:tab I remember selling my first bike to a guy. I knew then it was not long for this world. He just nodded and grinned in response to everything I told him. Sure enough, two weeks later, he slid it down the highway at about 70mph :doh: I don't know what happened to the bike after that. It was in perfect condition when I sold it to him :roll:

treybrad said:
since I know it got trashed right back to the terrible shape I rescued it from, has to be one of my worst decisions ever

At least you weren't on it during the final ride. Keep us posted on your search, I love bike shopping stories. Happy trails.

Well, here's the follow-up... what's nice is this all happened a lot sooner than I thought it would... I still have the best part of fall to go.

Found a 2003 SV (Nakid), 10k miles, upgraded suspension but otherwise stock for within my price range. Just what I was looking for.

So where is it? Tulsa, OK... I fly out on Saturday morning, the seller is going to pick me up at the airport and then it's time for a long bonding period with my new toy!

So I'm pretty excited. I'll try to take some pics and post up about my 1st impressions after a ~550mi first trip.

trey

Back