• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big guy blues

Reaction score
Okay...so I’m not really big, just tall. I’m 6’4”, but I’m drawn to smaller bikes.

It seems like manufacturers are starting to cater more to the beginner market with smaller displacements, lower MSRPs, and lighter weights. Those things sound great, but they almost always result in an overall smaller bike.

The Grom, new Rebel models, Ducati Scrambler (even the Sixty2), the FZ07, Duke 390, and a number of other models hitting the market over the last few years are some of the coolest bikes out there to me. I just don’t fit on them, though. They make me feel like my knees are in my chest (my legs are long, even for my height), I have to ride with T-Rex arms, and I just feel like I’m riding a kid’s bike.

My question is, has anybody found a way around this? I know nothing is universal and it would be very bike dependent. It seems, though, like a tall seat, bar risers, and lowered foot pegs could alleviate some of the problem. I just wouldn’t want to buy a bike, add all that stuff, and find out the bike is still too small.

So...any tall guys riding small bikes? How have you customized the diminutive steed to fit your generous frame?

Being 6'5" myself. 235 lardass
I went with a DR 650 with all the mods you mentioned!
A comfortable ride now.
Revs a lil high above 70.
Was starting to think i made a bad choice BUT. It just works.

Sent from the dark side of the moon using Tapatalk

Being 6'5" myself. 235 lardass
I went with a DR 650 with all the mods you mentioned!
A comfortable ride now.
Revs a lil high above 70.
Was starting to think i made a bad choice BUT. It just works.

Sent from the dark side of the moon using Tapatalk

A dual sport has been a long time consideration. I have a whole different set of concerns there, though.

There's a very nice Ducati Hypermotard for sale on this forum that might float your boat. It is one of the best looking bikes I've seen in a while.

I’ve sat on them, and they’re some of the most comfortable bikes I’ve tried. The problem is that they’re all so bloated, both in weight and in price. I think a middleweight faux ADV bike might fit the bill...something like a Versys or FJ-09. I still wish those were a bit lighter, but I suppose we can’t always get exactly what we want.

Yes, some are a bit heavier, but if your not going off road you can strip some of the crash guards etc... that make the bike more off road capable to shave as much as you can. If you end up with a 1200 the bike will have plenty of juice to support the extra weight, but just flat out won't handle like a duke390.

Along that line how about a motoard a KTM690? I know that will bring the height down, but one the bike might keep you a little more upright and stretched out.

Supermoto. That is all.

By the way, this is just karma for the years spent making fun of short folks.

I'm the resident short guy. :D

Supermoto. That is all.

By the way, this is just karma for the years spent making fun of short folks.

I'm the resident short guy. :D

There are certain times in life when I wish I was shorter. Shopping for motorcycles and clothes are a couple of those times.

I had a supermoto once that I was afraid to ride due to the inability to find parts. Another one is always under consideration. I don’t ride long distances, so that’s not really an issue. It just seems like such a shame to have such a sweet handling bike with no twisty roads around.

I wandered into my nearest mega-dealer (Cycle Center of Denton) to try out some of the options. They sell pretty much everything except Yamaha, Harley, and Ducati.

Of all the bikes I swung a leg over the Duke 690 was the one that really grabbed me. It has a relatively tall seat height, fairly low pegs, and wide bars. Those things are hard to find on a bike that size and weight. The other bikes that felt anywhere near as comfortable were all significantly larger and heavier, and cost somewhere around double. I don’t know when/if I’ll ever be in the spot to drop the coin on the KTM, but it has assumed the role of my most lusted over bike...for now.

I'm 6'7" and I know your pains, OP.

I can't fit in anything small. I ride a V-strom 650 with lowered pegs and feel comfortable. KLR also firs well, but it isn't for everyone.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'm 6'7" and I know your pains, OP.

I can't fit in anything small. I ride a V-strom 650 with lowered pegs and feel comfortable. KLR also firs well, but it isn't for everyone.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The Strom and KLR have both been on my list at one point or another. While they both fit my body pretty well ergonomically, they don’t fit my desires for something light, flickable, and powerful. In the case of the Strom, I struggle with the idea of riding a bike wilth less than the maximum engine offering. It’s like buying a Dodge Challenger with a V6.

I’ve been looking around pretty fervently for the past few weeks. As I mentioned previously, I really like the 690 Duke. It’s a pricey bike for its class, though. After checking out its competitors (FZ07, SV650, Z650, et al), I’ve found that none for me nearly as well. They are also all significantly heavier and wider, and just don’t grab me like the KTM does.

I was really hoping the FZ07 would feel good, as I hear and read nothing but good about it and it is significantly cheaper. It just feels like a bike built for somebody eight inches shorter than me, though.

I’m in no hurry to do anything, so hopefully the coming months will bring some deals on leftover 2017 models (or even the few 2016s that are still out there), or some used specimens will hit the market.

As gixxerjason said.... Sumo for the win.

I know it's not a small displacement bike but the 2nd Gen V2 Tuono is a tall bike. I'm 6 foot tall and can ride the bike for hours with no problem. Gas stops are a completely different story. It's got a smallish tank and it is a gas guzzler. I usually only get about 30 MPG but I also ride it like I stole it. LOL

I looked at and test rode a 17 690 Duke. I was disappointed to find out the Duke didn't have adjustable suspension. That made it overpriced in my mind,especially for how seldom I would ride it as a second bike. So I bought a sumo kit for my KTM 450 EXC. It's still tall, but more manageable. Small windscreen arrives this week, then I'll decide on a small rack. It's a work in process. I already had the 450, so it made the justification a little easier.

Being just 5' 1" and to of my close friends being 6'5" each
We all joke about our issues fitting to anything. I would love a GS

So things all 3 of us have done to make bikes a closer fit.
Buell lowering pegs
Corbin seats made Mark's seat 1.5" taller
Taller handle bars or risers.

I'm lucky for being 5' 1" as I at least have a nearly 30" inseam so I have never had to lower a bike.

Back