• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sprockets: Steel vs Alloy

I would say this.....if you know the gearing that you want to run probably 90% of the time......get an Ironman rear sprocket. But if you think you may be changing gearing a bunch or even off and on.....get the cheaper ones.

Not seeing any good reports on the Kush sprockets yet.

The newest version with no pigment in the polyurethane has been holding up well thus far per the early reviews. Lifetime warranty for the life of the steel teeth.

_

An Aussie fella on ADV made 700km then was metal on metal and then that held up fine. ghost bought one for his KTM but I don't think he installed it yet. I really want it to work. It would be a great solution for my WR 450.

Question on countershaft seal replacement. Can I just source an o-ring from a hardware store to go with? Or is the OEM one special?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are different grades of rubber used in o-rings, however who knows if KTM or any bike manufacturer uses anything other than normal o-rings.

Question on countershaft seal replacement. Can I just source an o-ring from a hardware store to go with? Or is the OEM one special?

What bike?

The trick is finding the right size

The KTM 250sxf
the local hardware store had a big selection of o-rings. I'm hopeful I can find one that works.

Dumb question, but is the bolt for the countershaft sprocket reverse threads?

The KTM 250sxf
the local hardware store had a big selection of o-rings. I'm hopeful I can find one that works.

I have never seen an exact off the shelf replacement for a KTM but you can get very close. I have used slightly oversized (thickness) o rings when in a hurry. The KTM parts are cheap enough and most dealers stock so I would go OEM. The other thing with KTMs is to get a new front sprocket bolt (comes with the cupped washer and is cheap) or use a socket to re-cup your stock washer. It puts tension on the o ring and without it being right you won't ever get it sealed even with new parts.

Threads on the sprocket bolt are regular. Use blue locktite or if you go with a new replacement bolt there will be locktite on it from the factory.

Awesome thanks! :thumb:
I ordered Dirt Tricks replacement washer. It's supposed to be better. We'll see.

Agreed...go with oem parts on this one. Not much cost either way. The o-ring is a small cross section that's not real common. Don't remember the CS bolt threads being backwards on the 530. An impact wrench helps a lot.

An Aussie fella on ADV made 700km then was metal on metal and then that held up fine. ghost bought one for his KTM but I don't think he installed it yet. I really want it to work. It would be a great solution for my WR 450.

I still have it sitting in the garage beside a Sidewinder and a steel with lightning cuts...the reviews I have seen concern me on whether or not I will use.:shrug:

I still have it sitting in the garage beside a Sidewinder and a steel with lightning cuts...the reviews I have seen concern me on whether or not I will use.:shrug:

If the poly inserts on your sprocket are black I wouldn't use it. Instead contact Ryan at Kush and see about it getting exchanged for the new version. If yours has translucent looking inserts then it is the newest version and you should try it. They found (or hypothesized) that the pigment used in the poly was causing non adhesion issues.

_

If the poly inserts on your sprocket are black I wouldn't use it. Instead contact Ryan at Kush and see about it getting exchanged for the new version. If yours has translucent looking inserts then it is the newest version and you should try it. They found (or hypothesized) that the pigment used in the poly was causing non adhesion issues.

_
Mine is the Translucent:ponder:

Back