• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Are two strokes street legal

Reaction score
I read on a general info site that two strokes can't be made street legal because they won't pass an emissions test. However, as far as I know, motorcycles in Texas aren't given an emissions test.

So, can a two stroke dirt bike be made street legal?

Specifically, I am thinking of buying a 1972 Suzuki TC 125, the one with 8 (2 x 4) gears.

I would think anything that old would be able to be registered anywhere outside of a state like California with their regs. In Texas I think it is mostly based on year even for cars, so a 1972 doesn't face emissions testing like newer cars but as you state motorcycles aren't emissions tested...yet.

Yes, they can be made street legal. Heck just ask Simmons1 who has a street legal KDX, as well as a really nice H2.

in Texas anything with 2 wheels and a motor can be made street legal. You just have to pass inspection with the minimum requirements.

I wish you could plate quads

One of my dream bikes is a street legal big bore 500cc Supermotard kinda like this!!:trust:...:dude:

cr500rr.jpg

One of my dream bikes is a street legal big bore 500cc Supermotard kinda like this!!:trust:...:dude:

cr500rr.jpg

Satan's Super Moto :twisted:

It'd be fun right up to the point of getting my license revoked or my shouolders pulled outa socket :lol2:

If you're gonna go big, then go BIG

ATK 700 Intimidator Supermoto conversion. That's a 700cc 2-stroke.

IMG_0921.jpg

If you're gonna go big, then go BIG

ATK 700 Intimidator Supermoto conversion. That's a 700cc 2-stroke.

IMG_0921.jpg
Now you're talkin'!!!!:clap::clap::clap: That has to be the highest horsepower to weight ratio I've ever seen on a dirt bike/SM!! Does ATK make the engine? Looks like a Rotax.

edit; Oh, nevermind, I found this link...

http://www.dirtrodders.com/atk700/

So who does make the engine? And isn't the front tire mounted backwards?:scratch:

Last edited:
Yes, they can be made street legal. Heck just ask Simmons1 who has a street legal KDX, as well as a really nice H2.

You rang?

1998 KDX220R

1972 H2750

DSCN5031.jpg

Both are currently ridden on the street in Texas.

aaaahhhh...Brings back memories, I had an H2 25 years ago. Hard to start, fouled plugs, after twenty miles it felt like my insides would fall out from the vibration BUT when you twisted the throttle..........what a rush!!!

aaaahhhh...Brings back memories, I had an H2 25 years ago. Hard to start, fouled plugs, after twenty miles it felt like my insides would fall out from the vibration BUT when you twisted the throttle..........what a rush!!!

I have owned H2's since the late 70's. Mine have always started on 3 or 4 kicks and I haven't fouled a plug in over 10 years. There must have been something wrong with yours.

Now you're talkin'!!!!:clap::clap::clap: That has to be the highest horsepower to weight ratio I've ever seen on a dirt bike/SM!! Does ATK make the engine? Looks like a Rotax.

edit; Oh, nevermind, I found this link...

http://www.dirtrodders.com/atk700/

So who does make the engine? And isn't the front tire mounted backwards?:scratch:
I think the ATK motor is basically an updated Cannondale motor.
Is that accurate?

I think the ATK motor is basically an updated Cannondale motor.
Is that accurate?
That is correct for the 450 thumpers. The 2-stroke however is based on the most recent Maico big-bore smokers.

I have owned H2's since the late 70's. Mine have always started on 3 or 4 kicks and I haven't fouled a plug in over 10 years. There must have been something wrong with yours.

Likely the jetting.

Likely the jetting.
I agree. I had a '72 and a '74 H2, and they came from the factory too rich...I guess to avoid seizure in the hands of some riders. Both of mine ran very clean and even got decent mileage on the highway. That '72 was an evil handling seed of satan, but it was faster than the '74. Even though the literature said thay had the same horsepower, I think they softened up the '74. The '74 chassis was definitely a little stiffer and had a longer swingarm. I loved those bikes.

Wow!...a CR500 motard. I had a CR500 literally try to rip my pants off and have its way with me...really...no, I'm serious.:lol2: An aquaintence had a CR500 and was going to sell it. I'm a very decent enduro racer...even won a 200cc B-class 2-day event one time, so I'm thinking I can handle a CR500. I went to his house out in the country to check it out. It was a beautiful bike. I know why now. He probably hardly ever rode the beast. I brought my helmet and was wearing jeans. My jeans had fairly big, loose cuffs. I got on that monster and just rode it down the bar ditch. I nailed it and nearly lost it...my legs flailing off the back trying to get the front wheel back down. My jean's cuff somehow got caught in the chain...this caused me to pull to that side...and after weaving and flopping all over the place, I got the bike back under control. I was scared s**tless! My jeans had a 12" piece ripped from the cuff towards the top. I rode back to where the owner was standing and said, "No thanks!". He was laughing the whole time...at least after he realized I wasn't going to wreck his bike. I'm thinking that getting bikes like these CR500's ought to require something like qualifying for a pilot's license.:lol2:

Man, I bet those open class two-strokes are mean. I've never had the fortune of riding a two-stroke that large. Well... there was my 78 DT400, but technology has changed a lot. My YZ85 could almost hang with it and isn't half the weight.

I just picked up a pretty nice 1984 CR500 and am thinking about tagging it so I can do rides like the TAR on it. I think the biggest issues is the electical system and getting lights on it. I have to get it to where I can kick start it first! :rider:

I saw a Walter Wolf Racing Suzuki on the street the other day. I had the top down so the "ring-a-ding" sound was very audible. It had a current TX plate/inspection on it.

It looked kind of like this one.
WalterWolf-Suzuki.jpg

I read on a general info site that two strokes can't be made street legal because they won't pass an emissions test. However, as far as I know, motorcycles in Texas aren't given an emissions test.

So, can a two stroke dirt bike be made street legal?

Specifically, I am thinking of buying a 1972 Suzuki TC 125, the one with 8 (2 x 4) gears.

Suzuki TC125 was sold new as a street legal bike in all states. Could even plate it in CA as older vehicles are grandfathered to modern emission req'ts as they should be (if it started it's life from mfg as street legal).

Over the years many of these early enduro bikes got their street equipment taken off. Just put all the lights back on and you're good to go after inspection.

_

Back