• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

North Carolina in April 2016

Okay, I'm going with Camilo (CDC) so slow speed limits are okay. More photo ops. For me, the advantage of the Trace is lack of traffic and bypassing towns.

You are calling me a low speed rider . . . . . or a Law Abiding Rider? :sun:

So CDC is NOT a graduate of the SOG school of riding? :mrgreen:

Yup, that makes sense. I grew up abt 20mi from The Trace so it's like Meh, interesting when I was 15, not so much, now, just slow.

Oh, yeah, and I know you know this, and it's pretty much "past the season" but wet leaves on the Blue Ridge almost did me in once, and frost in the shady curves in the morning is worse.

I am allergic to dust and dirt!

And Rusty, take notes!

Wayah Road is a nice shady cruise along the river, I hope it stays unpopular.

Well, here we are just two days away from departure and

1. I haven't planned a route
2. CDC can't make it so this is a solo trip
3. My bike is at the shop getting the brakes fixed and I don't know when I'll get it back
4. When I do, I have new plugs, air filter and need to sync the throttle bodies before I leave.
5. If I don't go this weekend, my daughter will be headed back to Austin before I get there. :headbang:
6. And my 25th wedding anniversary is May 10th so I'd be gone for that if I wait a week. I'm thinking that would be bad too.

So, what do you all think of how my adventure is shaping up now?

Meanwhile, I'm getting gear together, assuming this will still happen. Otherwise I may wait until the end of May and ride to Minnesota for my niece's wedding. Up the Mississippi river and back through Montana, Wyoming, Colorado.

So long as you can get the bike back in time... Go. Don't worry about a route. Make that up as you go. Once you get there, it is hard to pick a bad road so long as you stay off the major arteries.

To be honest though, I prefer May just because the weather is less likely to be really nasty in the mountains and there are TONS of flowers in bloom.

September/October are even better.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the route. With just me and some general dates of places I need to hit, I'll find an interesting way. Right now I'm leaning towards a high speed run towards Virginia and a slow wander down the Blue Ridge Parkway then over to Durham. I can figure out the next day each evening from there.

Bike is the main concern. I'm starting to like the idea of a run up the Mississippi though.

Oh, I did text my wife to ask if I could buy the Goldwing that's for sale on the site. Got the response I expected...but I had to ask. :-)

Yeah, but she is. :rofl: Warning to other admins, please don't add her to the site.

I'm glad you're still coming to NC, and not NJ, despite the bathroom issues here. ;)

I'm SE of Hickory just a ways if you need any help or bathroom breaks.

Last edited:
I pick up the bike today. It probably needs a master cylinder rebuild, but not enough time for the mechanic to get the parts. He did a full bleed again with a vacuum system and hopefully that will suffice for my trip. I'll do a test ride this evening and see. I have gear in piles so packing won't take long.

Um... iffy brakes somewhere like NC could be a REAL problem :-P

Yeah, that's what I keep thinking. But I usually don't slow down for corners anyway. Not that I'm fast, I just don't speed up between them. :-)

Basically I have good, firm lever much of the time. Holding on a hill it will start to fade just a little. If I give it a firm squeeze it gets fine for a while. Standard signs of either air or worn master cylinder. We've ruled out air at this point. I'll get CuzBob to order the MC parts and have him start either next week or when I get back. I still think I should just get another bike for the trip though. CFO disagrees.

Hard to get the break in ride done and 600 mile service tonight.

Crossed my mind though.

Meh, change the oil on the road around 600 miles and have the service done when you get back ;-)

Back