• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TKC-70 tires after 10k miles

txtinman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
White
I just installed the new Anakee Wilds on my 2015 R1200GS after riding the TKC-70's for 10k miles. I'm not a canyon carver or a single track rider. Most of the miles were commuting between home and work and a few trips to Alabama and back. I thought the tires rode really well on the highway, in the wet or dry. I made a trip to Arkansas for a BMW rally last October. While there I rode all of the twisty roads I could and the tires gripped very good. The GS Giants had a trail ride through some really gnarly jeep trails and the 70's handled everything from just dirt to medium sized river rocks. You know those about the size of a grapefruit, round and slippery? The front tire wore kind of strange, but didn't seem to affect the handling, even at 80+ mph. The rear seemed to wear more traditionally by squaring off because of all the highway miles. Overall I'm pleased with how they performed. If the Wilds don't do as well, I'll probably go back to the TKC-70's.

27074725320_53a4e6eab0_c.jpg
[/url]DSC_5916 by txtinman, on Flickr[/IMG]

27074726670_99ea6395ca_c.jpg
[/url]DSC_5912 by txtinman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I am at 3k now on my TKC70's. I put them on a couple of weeks ago and just road them to Key West and back. Both tires are looking great and I don't doubt that these will last me well over 7k at their current wear rate.

I do notice that the front end will wander/wobble on me when riding straight and at high speed, which the Anakee 3's that came with the bike (2016 GSA) didn't do when I road them out to Utah and back last month. (YMMV). However riding in rain and what few curves I found they handled great and I felt very secure.

Good luck with them I got almost 3 k on tkc years ago and do know for a fact they will self destruct at speeds over 120 , after 50 miles or so half the knobs were missing . My 950 s are road bikes now if I want to off road I have 250 lb dirt bikes for that , much easier .

Good luck with them I got almost 3 k on tkc years ago and do know for a fact they will self destruct at speeds over 120 , after 50 miles or so half the knobs were missing . My 950 s are road bikes now if I want to off road I have 250 lb dirt bikes for that , much easier .

Not sure how much luck I need. I got 10,000 miles out of them with no problems. If you were riding at 120 mph I would say that's a bit irresponsible if you were on the streets. If you were on the track I would wonder why you would want to ride that fast on tires designed mainly for the dirt?

That's what I was thinking! I just put the 70's on my 1290, this is encouraging!

I was thinking the 70's on my super adventure too or the Anakee Wilds so I'll be watching this thread.

Not sure how much luck I need. I got 10,000 miles out of them with no problems. If you were riding at 120 mph I would say that's a bit irresponsible if you were on the streets. If you were on the track I would wonder why you would want to ride that fast on tires designed mainly for the dirt?

Nothing irresponsible about it , that's how you get across the desert out in the west . Not much to see so you go .

120 steady speed on TKC70s - SMH - you picked the wrong tire for the job. Don't blame the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tire is rated to 150 mph.I'm gonna try this tire on my FZ-09 for some
Mild off-road capability (I have a skid plate)and it's rain performance.
They are going to be offering it this month in the 180/55-17 that I need.
Glad to hear their dual compound tread is lasting so long.

Back