• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

how about using a cutting board bolted on top of your rack...they're dirt cheap and can be found in every grocery store...
jelli-white-nonslip-reversible-cutting-board.jpg

That is exactly what i do on my KTM. I have a small rack and when I want more space I bolt the poly cutting-board on. I have some slots cut in that i can slip straps through.

You can see the edge under the dry bag in this photo.
P1040347_zpsbf5fcf26.jpg

That's a good idea.

FYI, the weekend went well. No wrecks, no flats. My friend on the Husqvarna 610 dropped us like a hot potato on the trails. I like to think it's because he has a performance bike, but really he's just fast. My rack worked well. I have time to add a down turn t the edges to blunt them.

We did Glenn Springs to Black Gap starting at dusk and finished the River Road coming into Castolon around 9:30. I love me some night time riding.

All in all the XR did great. I need to get a bigger tank and some real lights. I could only see about 20' in front of me at night. I'll be going through this thread and dialing that in over the next week or so.

@Aaron- glad to know you're using it. Makes things really easy. I may just add the vato door edging just so my bike looks a little cooler...

Last edited:
FYI, the weekend went well. No wrecks, no flats. My friend on the Husqvarna 610 dropped us like a hot potato on the trails. I like to think it's because he has a performance bike, but really he's just fast. ...

All in all the XR did great. I need to get a bigger tank and some real lights. I could only see about 20' in front of me at night. I'll be going through this thread and dialing that in over the next week or so.

Yeah, hate to say it but I was at the Baja Rally all last week & Jenny Morgan was posting top-15 stage times on hers vs. all kinds of KTM & Husky race bred machinery!

Unless you want to upgrade the stator (which I DO NOT recommend as the OEM unit is pretty much Honda bombproof and all the aftermarkets seems give trouble) you'll need to go LED on lights. I used the Cyclops & was very happy with the unit & the service from them. The only thing is to be sure & protect it from the heat of the oil cooler.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/dirt-bike-lights.html

That's a good idea.

FYI, the weekend went well. No wrecks, no flats. My friend on the Husqvarna 610 dropped us like a hot potato on the trails. I like to think it's because he has a performance bike, but really he's just fast. My rack worked well. I have time to add a down turn t the edges to blunt them.

We did Glenn Springs to Black Gap starting at dusk and finished the River Road coming into Castolon around 9:30. I love me some night time riding.

@Aaron- glad to know you're using it. Makes things really easy. I may just add the vato door edging just so my bike looks a little cooler...

I may have missed them but I don`t see any pics :doh:

DOH. Pics. I suck at that. I always get too busy riding or enjoying the quiet desert. Or in this case, trying to keep up with my friend on the Husqvarna.

I'd say I'll do better next time, but that never seems to happen.

Moved post;

I used the compression checker and found lots of air through the carb. Removed head and found previous owner is almost as good a mechanic as I am. He apparently dropped a screw into intake manifold somehow and didn't know or didn't care to take the head apart and remove the screw. Screw is holding left intake valve open. See photos. I am not sure how much or if any damage has been done but will let a shop figure that out.

Thanks to all for your responses.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psssjcfev5.jpg
XR400FAN1996 is offline Report Post

Aaaaah I'm super excited to finally join this post. Buying a 97 on Saturday.

STOP!

I'm about to sell mine!

Street legal, clean title, Mikuni Pumper carb, Trail Tech dash, Progressive springs, LED lights, hydraulic clutch, high lift cams, ported, all day comfy seat, 5 gallon tank...the list goes on...and on.

I have the stock parts too.

If you're interested, PM me.

I like squeaky. (Philips bike)

I ported the head, set up the front and rear suspension, installed the crf450 cam chain, and I THINK we also converted his cam chain tensioner to a manual one. That bike has alot of really good parts inside and out.

IMG_20150514_125700931_zpsrfgf7f26.jpg

Oh for sure. I was looking at picking up a basket case for a project, but then showed his to my wife who said "he's already done a better job than you ever will, so just pay him."

I agree. Even an xr400, who's parts are relatively cheap and abundant can be a huge pit you savagely throw money into.

After a 4-month hiatus from riding (broke my foot crashing my triumph at about 10 miles an hour), I threw a leg over the XR to get a quick ride in on this lovely day. After 30 minutes of trying to start it I gave up, since the broken foot started hurting from kicking.

Procedure I followed:
1: Choke on
2: 4-6 kicks with decompression lever pulled in
3: one twist of throttle
4: kick from TDC

The best I ever got was about 2 seconds of running, never anything more or even enough time to open throttle. I tried the same with the choke off, and after 15 minutes I drained the carburetor to get a fresh start. The speedo/lights would come on about half the time.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I sure didn't, that would've been far too responsible of me. Gas that came out of the bowl was a little gross. Yank the carb and pop it in the sonic cleaner?

Yes, but it's gonna take more than that. You'll have to physically clean the passages of the carb. Pipe cleaners, or whatever.

I use 16ga stranded auto wire, strip about 1.5" of insulation off, then twist a certain number if strands together to get the size appropriate for the orphice I'm trying to clean.

Cool. Thanks gents, I got the carb off and now can't find my JIS screwdrivers. Hopefully I'll have an update tomorrow.

Pilot jet totally blocked, main jet had a fair amount of gunk as well. Grabbing some pipe cleaners for the chambers today.

Back