• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fibonacci Sequence KMs to Miles

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Shaddock
The Fibonacci sequence can help you quickly convert between miles and kilometers.

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where every new number is the sum of the two previous ones in the series.
1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, etc.
The next number would be 13 + 21 = 34.
Here's the thing: 5 mi = 8 km. 8 mi = 13 km. 13 mi = 21 km, and so on.
This works because the Fibonacci sequence increases following the golden ratio (1:1.618). The ratio between miles and km is 1:1.609, or very, very close to the golden ratio. Hence, the Fibonacci sequence provides very good approximations when converting between km and miles.

The Fibonacci sequence can help you quickly convert between miles and kilometers....

Not so quick for me that way. You need to memorize a good part of that F table to use it. Multiply or dividing by 1.6 is so much easier. Say your speedo is displaying 50 mph; 5 x 6 = 30 + displayed 50 = 80 kph
60 mph; 6 x 6 = 36 + 60 = 96 kph
If you can't do that in your head your deserve to pay the mandatory local school fund donation when caught.

Or just buy a Tenere, I hold one button for 3 seconds and viola mph turns to kph, miles turns to kilometers and fuel consumption changes from mpg to selectable for either km per liter or liters per 100 kms.

_

Or just watch yrs and yrs of bicycle racing from EU where its broadcast in Ks and it comes like a second language.
I havent had my bicycle comp in miles since about 1990.

**** my garmin is in Ks also. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or just buy a Tenere, I hold one button for 3 seconds and viola mph turns to kph, miles turns to kilometers and fuel consumption changes from mpg to selectable for either km per liter or liters per 100 kms.

Or buy a bike that displays in miles and then never venture to one of those places that use those screwy km's. :rofl:

Or buy a bike that displays in miles and then never venture to one of those places that use those screwy km's. :rofl:

Why would you want to limit yourself to that? Basically no other place on earth uses miles. The US is the only pimple on the butt of the metric system left to pop. To bad our conversion effort in the 70's stalled out.

aafffd5a7eed9365a2cca447c5fef461.png

_

Last edited:
I like math, but I need to convert miles to kilos pretty much never. Don't give a rat's patootie.

Now if need to start converting my speed to a Mach number you've got my attention. :trust:

Yes for miles, that's why I said "basically". They have mandated the metric system though but have fell into the same changeover stumble the US did in the 80"s.

_

UK is also land of Whit-worth (sp?) and a few other systems

Why would you want to limit yourself to that? Basically no other place on earth uses miles. The US is the only pimple on the butt of the metric system left to pop. To bad our conversion effort in the 70's stalled out.
_

Can only ride to a couple of those places. Any others, and I'd likely be buying/renting a bike that displays in kms for countries using kms.

However, as to the question of why limit myself? Usually it's due to available money and time. Can't get enough of either to see enough of around here, let alone further destinations.

Can only ride to a couple of those places. Any others, and I'd likely be buying/renting a bike that displays in kms for countries using kms...

Couple places? I get a quick count of 21 countries in North and South America. Of which I believe only the US is miles.

But I get the time/money issue. Availability of the two never seem to intersect unless you force it hard. But then family usually is the obstacle. Carpe diem

_

My Chinese scooter shoes both, but it is electronic and only works when the key is on. My 25-year old American made car shows both, and it is analog so the key does not have to be on. Just look what numbers line up! No math at all, which is a lot easier on my bramaged dain.

Duh!

aafffd5a7eed9365a2cca447c5fef461.png

_

If metric is so much better than our systems of measures, why do we financially support darn near every other nation on earth, and not a one of them pays us back? Seems to me there are many pimples on your butt. Get to popping.

The Fibonacci sequence can help you quickly convert between miles and kilometers.

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where every new number is the sum of the two previous ones in the series.
1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, etc.
The next number would be 13 + 21 = 34.
Here's the thing: 5 mi = 8 km. 8 mi = 13 km. 13 mi = 21 km, and so on.
This works because the Fibonacci sequence increases following the golden ratio (1:1.618). The ratio between miles and km is 1:1.609, or very, very close to the golden ratio. Hence, the Fibonacci sequence provides very good approximations when converting between km and miles.

Cool, I didn't know that. I'm not sure how useful it really is unless you have the Fibonacci sequence already memorized, but it's a neat trick anyway.

Print this as a sticker and stick it on your tank. Fibonacci may work, but it is harder to do the math. It is really just the relationship between 2,3, and 5. One is 40% one is 60%, so it converts at .6 or 1.6 continuously.

Speedometer-dualsystem.jpg

For those of us who either watch European (i.e. F1) racing, or in other ways do business that wanders into the metric world (i.e. participating in a 10K run), it's handy. I'd never noticed the Fibonacci connection before; it is pretty cool. But as somebody noted, it requires having a certain amount of the sequence stored in your STM. I'm pretty good at doing a 1.6 or .65 approximation, but I also have a few numbers stored in STM as mileposts.

PS, a metric conversion app on my phone is kinda helpful, too. :lol:

Back