• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CRF450X Seat pan/repair help

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Ladies and Gentlemen, the latch on the front of my CRF450X seat has broken off (the latch that connects with the small bobbin mounted on the gas tank). I have looked on ebay but cant find any complete seats (just seat covers). I found a picture where SDG had repaired a CRF seat with the exact same problem as mine (see included picture) I have written to SDG, but wondered if anyone on here recognised the part they used and could tell me where to purchase one? I have cleaned my seat pan so the area is flat and I have large aluminum pop rivets so could easily do this repair if I can find the black plastic part in this picture.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Gary

PS I was told that 2005 to 2017 CRF's all have the same seat, yet Honda want $180 for a 05-08 seat, and only $130 for an 09 onwards!! They have a different part number so what's the difference between an 06 seat and an 09 seat? $130 is still more than I want to pay for a simple seat repair, but its still better than $180, a new seat might be my only option if I cant find this latch anywhere!

Attachments

• seat latch.jpg
    seat latch.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
When I bought my 2005 CRF450X it had a modified "low" seat and the original stock seat as well. The stock seat suits me better. As I recall you have a wife and daughter that ride CRFs also. Not sure if this will meet your need or perhaps you would like to try it for your wife. Anyway I have this if your interested. It does not have a riveted piece. Come get it if you would like to give it a try.

KIMG0089.jpg

KIMG0090.jpg

KIMG0091.jpg

Gary looking at both seat pans possibly yours is an aftermarket seat ?

Any chance for a part number or brand name maybe they have the latches
as spare parts

SDG complete seat is around $100.

My 450x was an 08, which was the year they changed the gas tank and shrouds. The seat is same for all years. I'm partial to the 09+ all red seat with Honda in white. They're comfortable to me as well.

Spokedoc, if you are sure you wouldn’t mind parting with that seat, I will pay for it, you can’t just give it away, I would love to take it. My seat pan is like the one you have, but the white plastic parts have broken of, so I was trying to find the black part that SDG had riverted onto someone’s seat to repair mine, but if I can take your seat, I can swap the foam and seat cover and be all good to go. I will pm you to make contact.

Many thanks everyone.

Gary

Last edited:
Thanks Jay, but if I can find that black plastic part it's probably less than $20, so a much cheaper repair than a new seat!! Spokedoc's offer makes it even cheaper!! My Scottish blood is showing!! Deep pockets and short arms!! :clap:

Gary

Hey, Gary - I can't tell how broken that piece is but I have a "plastic welder kit" that you are welcome to use/have/whatever if the piece is reparable. It's basically a glorified soldering iron but it has a v-shaped end and comes with ABS strips for welding. An actual not-broken seat is better but if you like to experiment, this could be fun!

thanks Skatz, nearly half of the bracket broke off and was lost wherever it broke off, I then removed the remaining part with a sharp knife in anticipation of getting that Black plastic part in the picture, so way past plastic welding!! Many thanks for the kind offer.

Gary

You're welcome! If you ever need it for future plastic surgery, you are welcome to it.

Go- Riller Glue. They cut a boat in half and glued it back together on TV.:lol2:
Actually it's not bad glue.

Thanks Jay, but if I can find that black plastic part it's probably less than $20, so a much cheaper repair than a new seat!! Spokedoc's offer makes it even cheaper!! My Scottish blood is showing!! Deep pockets and short arms!! :clap:

Gary

Makes sense; just thought I pass along the info from some of the part sites I usually do business with. Just looked at my '05 450X and it has a molded in part similar to the one Spokdoc showed. Also looks like the previous owner had to repair it with a piece of metal to cover one side that obviously ripped out.

Back