• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Terlingua Ranch

Thanks, Voni. I have looked at your website before. My wife and I are currently living in Argentina and riding our Honda Transalps all over the Andes Mountains. I have a photo website with lots of pics I will post soon on the TRD website.

The site is brand new, so visit often, post and let me know if you see ways to make it more interesting.

Matt

Interesting!!
Anyone here know if the Lodge and office is open on Saturdays? I'll be there later this month looking at the big map on the wall trying to find the section and track numbers of a spot. I presume someone in the office can give me info on the status/price of parcels, yes?

Interesting!!
Anyone here know if the Lodge and office is open on Saturdays? I'll be there later this month looking at the big map on the wall trying to find the section and track numbers of a spot. I presume someone in the office can give me info on the status/price of parcels, yes?

TS,

The Ranch Office is open 8-5 daily, but I would call and verify if I were heading all the way out there, 432-371-2416. There are online maps available that I am somewhat familiar with and you can zero in on the area you are interested in with them. If you have any of the info you can post it here, or if you want to keep it private, email me and I can get you pointed in the right direction. I have also posted on the website how to look at properties from satellite. I have looked at mine and even grabbed a pic while sitting here in Argentina.

Since all the land is private, the office may not be of much assistance on it's status and/or prices unkess it has been listed for sale, but there are other ways to get some info.

Steep

Thanks, Steep. I will be down in BB area the weekend of the 23rd. I plan to stop into the office either Friday or Saturday.

I have the GPS coordinates AND satellite image as well as photos that I took of the spot in question. BUT..... I tried, and so did Ranger David, to find it on the pdf map on the Terlingua site. That map is so illegible, and it is sideways! that three of us can't make hide nor tails out of it. I suspect I have the section right; but the track number..... no telling. If I recall, there's a large map on the wall at the office, yes?

So how can I find out what the status is of the tract we are looking at? Is EVERY tract owned be individuals? or are there tracts owned by the TRA that are still available for sale to individuals?

If you want the GPS coordinates, I'll pm or email them to you.

Yeah, the county tax office is the best source.

http://www.brewstercotad.org/

POATRI does not own land that is for sale, except stuff that may have been donated back to them or something they foreclosed on. The POATRI website has a few pieces listed, but I think they are all by individuals.

The county also has auctions, like the Ranch on properties if you are interested. There are many abandoned pieces out there.

Steep

A bit of sleuthing and I have the section and tract number(s). The maps are deceiving because the road was changed at one point.

TS,

The roads get changed every so often because of the damage heavy rains can cause in such a terrain. Sometimes it is cheaper, quicker and the only way to repair a road.

If you have trouble locating a property let me know, I know someone who can locate it and stake it out for you, with the owner's permission, of course.

Steep

The roads get changed every so often because of the damage heavy rains can cause in such a terrain. Sometimes it is cheaper, quicker and the only way to repair a road.
I figured as much in this case. In fact, the original road section seemed....... wrong :) Very steep decline into a wash. The new section winds around the original, and a knob at the edge of a wash, to provide a less angled decline. The end of the original where it converged with the new was backfilled. But the original is still on the property, providing a very handy 'driveway'. :trust: Google Earth still denotes it as a road but its also obvious that it is not.

If you have trouble locating a property let me know, I know someone who can locate it and stake it out for you, with the owner's permission, of course.
I now have two section and tract numbers (two adjacent parcels) that I can reference to learn of their status. And I'll be back there the 22nd or 23rd to scout it out again. I'd sure like to know of their status before then to save me time if they are unavailable.

I think I can email you the Google Earth image/location if you'd like. I trust you. ;-) (the proposed Desert Rats' Base camp site)

Back