• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of Selling, looking for feedback.

Brate

Reaction score
**This was also posted at the Kawasaki Versys Forums.**

Just wanted to thank everyone who pitched in their thoughts. I'm going to chew on it for a few and make a decision.

Many thanks,

B

Last edited:
New dealer stock 2015 Versys 650 ABS are available for $6300, averaging $7400 online But the average price for a used one is around $5300, dealer, asking. I think your best bet would be to remove all the farkles and sell them independent of the bike. Sell bike for $5000, extras for another $1000. As is I don't think you'll get over $5500 for the total package.

Keep in mind these are the words of someone who does not seek, love, hate, or covet the bike in question, just poking around for 3 minutes on the internet. But, I tend to be fairly close in my random valuations.

Rationale, my first thought when looking at your pictures is having all the bags on the bike makes it look like an old man bike, unappealing to the younger generation, especially the tail bag. However, as an adventure rider I think, man, those are some cool bags and racks. I'd like to buy those for my bike. So, market to both customer bases and maximize revenue.

Last edited:
This is so,etching I often think, but would never say on an actual “for sale” ad. Since you’re looking for advice I’ll offer what I have. Keep in mind that I’m really only speaking for myself, but I think others may take the same approach.

Whenever I see something listed for sale with the caveats of,”don’t need to sell”, or “thinking of selling”, or something else non-committal, I assume there’s no way I’ll be getting a good deal not at item and I move on to something else. Those phrases are also usually accompanied by a price that is on the high end of the market value for the item (as your potential price seems to be), or very specific trade interests.

If you truly aren’t in a hurry to sell and are looking to maximize your return on investment, you may find somebody looking for exactly what you have. It’ll just take a lot longer than pricing the bike aggressively.

What you have isn’t anything rare or difficult to obtain, so there are going to be a lot of alternatives out there. If yours is the “best of the best”, for the particular model it makes sense to value it a little higher than the competition, but that’s always a hard thing to convey online.

I’ve personally gotten to the point where I’d rather sell something quickly for a fair price than wait months to get a few extra hundred bucks. I recently sold the stock wheels for my truck when I put some aftermarket ones on. I looked at the prices for the same wheels on Craigslist, listed mine $50 lower than the cheapest good set I saw, and had them sold in 15 minutes. I probably could have gotten an extra $50 to $100 if I really wanted, but it would have meant dealing with a bunch of looky-loos and hassle. It just wasn’t worth it.

You just have to figure out how much your time and effort is really worth.

I’ve personally gotten to the point where I’d rather sell something quickly for a fair price than wait months to get a few extra hundred bucks. I recently sold the stock wheels for my truck when I put some aftermarket ones on. I looked at the prices for the same wheels on Craigslist, listed mine $50 lower than the cheapest good set I saw, and had them sold in 15 minutes. I probably could have gotten an extra $50 to $100 if I really wanted, but it would have meant dealing with a bunch of looky-loos and hassle. It just wasn’t worth it.

:clap: awesome post and sums it up very well.

Thanks folks. As far as whats written and the pictures, they are kinda demo/draft so I am making edits as I go.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:

YES! I have this same debate with my wife all the time, and despite the fact that I buy and sell a ton of stuff online, her personality just won't allow her to get comfortable with this philosophy. It literally eats her up to think that she could've gotten $20 more on something she's selling, even if it means holding onto something for months. In my humble opinion, money in my hand vastly outweighs my desire to get top dollar for something I'm selling. And the simple fact is, the better of a deal you offer the faster something will sell.

Back