• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Staying Awake - the Moto Hokey Pokey

Reaction score
A sign on the wall of my favorite burger joint in the Valley reads, “I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”

During my rides, I often get sleepy in the afternoons going down the highway. Not wanting to wake up plowing through the weeds at 60 miles an hour, I try to find ways to stay awake on the bike; singing as loud as possible or banging the side of my helmet. One day I thought of doing the Hokey Pokey on the bike as I went down the road. Obviously, I had to adapt the moves to the bike and I got a lot of strange looks from passing motorists, but it worked pretty well and kept me awake. Then I had the disturbing mental picture of a whole group of motorcyclists doing the hokey pokey in unison as they rode down the highway. This is the story of how I made that happen:

I was hanging out at a Sinton bike rally with my buddy, “Hooligan Hal” when I was approached by several members of a local bike club, the Zopilotes from Papalote. (If you don’t know where Papalote is, it’s on Hwy 181, halfway between Sinton and Skidmore and if you don’t know what a zopilote is, it’s Spanish for buzzard.) Their president, Okie Dokie and his sidekicks, Smokey and Rattle, had a proposition for us: they wanted Hal and I to lead their club on a bike trip to Tampico, Mexico. The Zopilotes were chartering a new chapter in Mexico and, rather than take the bus, they wanted to ride down there. They knew Hal and I made frequent trips to Mexico and if we would guide the group, they’d cover our expenses. Sounded good to me.

I told them, “We’d love to, but when you’re riding with us, there’s a few ground rules you need to follow:

1. Keep up,
2. Don’t complain,
3. Wear a helmet (required in Mexico),
4. No drinking till we’re off the bikes at the end of the day, and
5. If I or anyone else I see gets sleepy, we’ll all do the Hokey Pokey until we’re not sleepy anymore.

The Zopilotes put their heads together and said they’d go along with everything but the last one. No hokey pokey. They’d never live it down. I insisted; this was gonna be a deal-breaker and they finally agreed to my terms.

The weekend before we were scheduled to leave, Hal and I met with with the group at their clubhouse and I talked about riding in Mexico, checked to make sure they all had passports and bike registration papers and we demonstrated the motorcycle version of the Hokey Pokey.

Now, on the bike Hokey Pokey, in and out are opposite and we start with our feet. When the song says, “Hands,” we actually use our elbows (so we can keep our hands on the bars). When we “turn ourselves about,” we settle for twisting our shoulders. On the last line of the chorus, “that’s what it’s all about,” we use our left hand (not the one on the throttle), slap the left handlebar twice, the tank twice and the side of your helmet twice (but not too hard).

We worked on the Hokey Pokey with the club a while, then got out on the bikes and practiced it on the road. They made me find a back road so nobody would see, and once we started, they actually got into it a bit, at least until the local law pulled us over. The law wanted to know, “What’s that you’re doing, the macarena?”

“No.”

“Gangnam Style?”

“No! It’s the Hokey Pokey.” When we explained the reason we were all practicing the Hokey Pokey, the deputy agreed that was a good idea, but I could see him shaking his head as he walked back to the squad car.

Staying Awake - the ride to Tampico

The day came for the trip to Mexico. We (about a dozen of us) rode down to the border (nobody got sleepy), bought some pesos, got our papers for Mexico and headed on. Getting to Tampico from Corpus Christi is fairly simple; cut over to 281 at Falfurrias, ride south for another 425 miles and you’re in Tampico. The last 50 miles are divided four-lane highway and the moment arrived when I could tell some of the guys were getting tired and sleepy, so I tooted the horn twice (our signal for the Hokey Pokey) and the whole group began doing the Hokey Pokey at 65 miles miles an hour, riding in formation and everybody on the beat:

You put your left foot in,
You put your left foot out,
You put your left foot in
and you shake it all about.
Do the Hokey Pokey
And you turn yourself around,
That’s what it’s all about!

We were getting looks of amazement from cars and trucks on the road, encouraging horn honks, then a car pulled up next to us with a lady hanging out the passenger window, waving wildly, motioning us over to the side of the road. There was a gas station coming up, so I thought, “What the heck” and we all pulled off the road.The lady bounced out of the car and asked, “What were you doing? Was that the Macarena?”

“No.”

“Zumba?”

“No!”

“Why were you doing that?” Turned out she was a reporter for a local Tampico television station. We explained our reason for the trip and said, no, that wasn’t the Macarena, that was the Hokey Pokey and we were doing it so we could stay awake. She got even more wound up and wanted to tape us doing the Hokey Pokey going down the highway. The Zopilotes reluctantly agreed to the idea after the reporter explained that driving while tired or sleepy was a big problem in Mexico. Mexico actually had a campaign going against it, posting signs along the highways that say, “No maneje cansado.” (Don’t drive tired.) So we mounted up and cranked up the bikes. Rattle fired up the music on his bike stereo and we rode on down the highway doing the Hokey Pokey.

As we approached town, some of the local bikers had ridden out to meet the Texas Zopilotes, saw what was going on, fell into line and started doing the Hokey Pokey with us. They led us in an impromptu parade all over the city with bystanders cheering us on and taking pictures on their cellphones as we rode by.

In our hotel on the beach in Tampico that night, Hal and I were watching some TV while Okie Dokie, Smokey, Rattle and the rest of the Zopilotes were out partying with their friends. When the news came on, there we were, lead story, riding down the highway, doing the Hokey Pokey. The same reporter that taped us did a stand-up piece about how a group of US motorcyclists had come up with the solution to Mexico’s sleepy driving problem and had ridden all the way down to Tampico to share the solution with Mexico.

It turned out the segment was pretty popular and the Mexican YouTube video of the piece got about 50,000 views overnight. We were the heroes of Tampico but didn’t know anything about it.

The next morning, as we rode through town, cars and trucks were honking at us and pedestrians were yelling for us to do the Hokey Pokey, We were rather stunned by the whole thing. After chartering the new Zopilote bike chapter that evening, everybody went out for a night on the town. It seemed overnight, the Hokey Pokey had shown up on every jukebox and karaoke machine in town. The Texan Zopilotes wound up teaching the Hokey Pokey at every bar they hit, singing themselves hoarse in the process.

The next morning as we headed back for Corpus Christi, (seriously short on sleep), the locals turned out in big numbers to see us off. They were already referring to the group as the “Okie Dokie, Rattle and Smokie Hokey Pokey Karaoke Zopilote Moto Club de Papalote.”

Please remember, “No maneje cansado.”

- shared at the Texas State Liars Contest, George West, Texas. 3 November 2012

The Hokey Pokey alwys gives me leg cramps.:lol2: Try the "Big Shoe Dance" next time that may work. Drew

I am extremely dissapointed that I missed that trip into Mexico. I know that work is no excuse to miss a good ride, but it is the only excuse I have.

Dale

The Hokey Pokey alwys gives me leg cramps.:lol2: Try the "Big Shoe Dance" next time that may work. Drew

A la Peewee Herman? Sorry, don't have the white shoes. My attempt at getting some alligator hide to have some made didn't pan out.

I am extremely dissapointed that I missed that trip into Mexico. I know that work is no excuse to miss a good ride, but it is the only excuse I have.

Dale

Hated to go without you, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

That was a really entertaining read. Thanks for posting! :)

You're welcome. :mrgreen:

Awesome story. Did it win the liars contest? :D

No, Dave. I didn't even make the podium this year. I sure had fun though. Hooligan Hal and I had the whole audience doing the Hokey Pokey in their chairs during the story. I got to cross that off my bucket list. :mrgreen:

an XL cup of HOT coffee in the lap, w/o a lid, does wonders for keeping one awake:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep, sure would.

I ran across something interesting while researching the story. Apparently, the Virginia Tech Hokies play the Hokey Pokey before the fourth quarter at every home football game and they get their tuba line out in front of the band doing the Hokey Pokey while they play it. As a former sousaphone player myself, I was impressed. Gotta be in shape to pull that off.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emOIgC9o22I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emOIgC9o22I[/ame]

Back