• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adeventure Tejas)

Cool!

:tab In the water crossings, sand, and deep gravel, you want to drop further back from the guy in front of you. That way if they have a problem or go down, you have time to react to avoid. You don't want to slow down or you will likely have a problem or go down right there with them! Better to get by, find a good place to park, then go back to assist if needed. It's also just easier to see if you hang back enough to be out of their dust.

I will get down there and do this once I get my new vstrom set up for offroad.

Last edited:
It's a good time.

Lots more rough ranch roads and water crossings than around here, for sure.

I have been through the three sisters in my car but never by motorcycle. Im more excited about off pavement riding though.

Thanks for the kind words Jarrett. We had a great time with you, Gary and Patrick! I think the best part of the tours we do is the friends we meet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good time.

Lots more rough ranch roads and water crossings than around here, for sure.

Were the water crossings nice and slick? Sometimes they are so slick it is hard just to stand in one place, even in only a few inches of moving water!

I don't think I remember slipping in any of them, maybe I did though. There are one or two in the video above.

I saw the KLR's in front of me slip a little, I think. I did try to power out of one for fun only to realize that I forgot to turn my traction control off :doh:

I think the water levels were much lower than normal on this trip, but still plenty of splashing around to be had.

Slow and steady win the crossing race. Those things can come back to bite who ever gets cocky.

I still have not done the 3 sisters. Wait, that didn't sound right....

I may ride out this weekend. Leave EARLY sat morning.

For a new rider you have good lines on the roads. Late entries give you that view of your exit. Lots of times new riders go in too close to the center line early, then get in trouble when they are surprised by decreasing radius corners they can't hold. It's a tendency I am still trying to improve on decades into my experience. Well done!
Dave.

I used to race through creeks on jet skis as well. Used to ride the st John's river in Florida and all the little creeks that link to it. But this was 15-16years ago.

I scoped it out before pulling the trigger :)

I think we did cross it. We cross a bunch of rivers or the same river a bunch of times :)

The James River isn't one you'd forget. REALLY long, 100 yards at least and 10 to 20 inches deep, depending on which side you take...

Quiz: anyone know of a longer / deeper crossing in Texas?

Last edited:
Looks like this.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeeJXmzhSnY"]Crossing James River TAC 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

With real authentic wind noise to boot.

Last edited:
Wes, did we cross the James River?

No. We went down James River road for a picture spot, but turned around and continued on tour. We offer that option sometimes if people want to do it, but it’s pretty treacherous and most folks on the 500+ lb bikes don’t want to fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back