• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Legislation requiring title for ORV's

Reaction score
Just FYI, a bill was filed requiring off road vehicles to be titled in Texas, unless they are being used in a timber area or farm. Its HB 2237, by Rep Lyne. If anyone has an interest pro or con, just wanted to put it up here. Dont know if it will go anywhere or not, has not yet passed the Legislature.

The bill adds this new law:
"Sec. 501.0225. CERTIFICATE OF TITLE REQUIRED FOR OFF-ROAD VEHICLE. A person who purchases, imports, or otherwise acquires an off-road vehicle, as defined by Section 152.001, Tax Code, that is not required to be registered under Chapter 502 may not operate or permit the operation of the vehicle in this state, or sell or dispose of the vehicle in this state, until the person obtains a certificate of title for the vehicle. This section does not apply to an off-road vehicle that is exempt from motor vehicle sales and use taxation under Section 152.091, Tax Code" (meaning timber or farm use...)

so in other words, you can't ride your dirt bike / quad in the forest unless you can show proof of title?

if this passes when will it take effect?

Most laws that pass in the regular session, unless passed as emergency legislation take affect in the fall. Can't recall if it's Sept. 1 or October 1. :ponder: Looks like another way to increase tax revenue. Gotta get a title so you would have to pay the sales tax on the transfer. OTOH it would make it easier to track stolen OHV if it was titled. A simple search would show the title holder.

When I bought my Honda Rincon, I paid the little difference and got a title. It would be WONDERFUL if we could get our atvs street legal. Probablly won't happen in my lifetime.

I know there are dealers (and probably the dealers assoc.) that are in support of this and driving the bill to level the field with out of state sales. For non-titled OHVs, someone could buy out of state and avoid sales tax. Texas dealers are required by law to collect the sales tax. Therefore, it is much more difficult to be competitive and still profitable.

This isn't a problem with titled vehicles because the sales tax is collected at registration. Thus, require the title for the OHV and the problem is solved. I think the benefit of tracking stolen OHVs is a secondary (and perhaps incidental) benefit that sounds good for PR purposes.

now when you buy a used OHV and go to get it titled you do not pay tax, just title fee. Will that change too?

I am sure that will change as well. Texas has gotten real strict on there vehicle registration. When you buy a street legal vehicle now, you have to pay full registration for the rest of the year that has already been payed in full by the previous owner. I have never heard of them sending money back to the previous owner. (Double dipping on vehicles bought). Also in my book would be considered stealing. Also, now the sales tax is calculated by market value instead of what you payed for the vehicle.

I know the money they are stealing is not much per incident, but it adds up.

They will do anything to get more money.

Just my $.02

Department of redundancy department calling. Off highway vehicles already have titles when they are sold new. It has been that way for a very long time in Texas.

I would be curious if there will be some sort of title decal involved since I would not be riding around the forest with my title in my pocket.

p.s.... you do pay sales tax on a titled used dirt bike when you transfer it to your name. Registration of course is not charged.

What about the Texas OHV sticker, I have one for my Jeep Wrangler.
I have to put down:
Name:
Year and Make:
and Vin

To me that works just fine and its only 8 bucks to TP&W.

Again just my $.02

:rider:

Chris

What about the Texas OHV sticker, I have one for my Jeep Wrangler.
I have to put down:
Name:
Year and Make:
and Vin

To me that works just fine and its only 8 bucks to TP&W.

Again just my $.02

Chris

that's about to change! I hear that the 2011 OHV stickers have jumped to $18!! Still cheap in my book, but a big increase from previous years!!

Gary

that's about to change! I hear that the 2011 OHV stickers have jumped to $18!! Still cheap in my book, but a big increase from previous years!!

Gary

Really?? I got my '11 from Grapevine Kawasaki for 8 bucks, shoot even at the gate at Northwest OHV park ( Bridgeport) there 8.

So for 2012 they are gonna be $18?

Chris

You are right, it's next years 2012 that doubles in price.. Still $18 is not an unreasonable amount to allow me to go ride in some nice woods for a year..

Gary

Oh no doubt, I will happily pay the raised prices so i can Wheel my Jeep or ride my bike off road.

Chris

I am sure that will change as well. Texas has gotten real strict on there vehicle registration. When you buy a street legal vehicle now, you have to pay full registration for the rest of the year that has already been payed in full by the previous owner. I have never heard of them sending money back to the previous owner. (Double dipping on vehicles bought). Also in my book would be considered stealing. Also, now the sales tax is calculated by market value instead of what you payed for the vehicle.

I know the money they are stealing is not much per incident, but it adds up.

They will do anything to get more money.

Just my $.02

I don't know if this has changed, but when I bought my last vehicle in November (which was a used 2007 model) the registration sticker I received with my plates was for about an 18 month period. I was really surprised.

So how will this work for all the dirt bikes out there without titles? Or does this only apply to current and future model years?

Back