• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 FJR or 2012 Concours 14

So here's another question. Do you think the Concours 14 is to big of a step up from a 650 V-strom? I mainly just putt around town and take day trips out into the hill country.

I went from a Ninja 250 to an FJR. And I'm a klutz. Even now it sometimes seems like a behemoth, but sometimes its good to ride a behemoth.

My suggestion would be for you to go up to Dallas and rent a C14 from Sport Ryder Rentals. . Then you'll know if you want one.

I'm sure it will be like an FJR, appears to be be big, but will do what ever you ask it too. My theory is most riders will not ride the bikes to their potential, due to their self doubt. A co-worker of mine has a FJR and another an concours but they won't lean the bikes more than maybe 5 degrees. Where as i drag pegs regularly and will ride a circle around them. In other word ride it like you stole it, it will probably do anything you want. And I commute everyday on mine and do trips, that's where these bikes excel.:rider::rider:

Honda VT-800 is an option, paging rikkijustmike - mike has one and rides the **** out of it.

Last edited:
Stromdude is a graduate of a two week motor officers course. He can ride it just fine. ;-)

Get the Connie and don't look back.

So here's another question. Do you think the Concours 14 is to big of a step up from a 650 V-strom?

I have the DL650 and an FJR - they compliment each other & you should have no problem with the C14.

Perhaps some kind local will offer Bill a test ride. I'll vouch for his skills as a rider and lack of squidliness. I wouldn't hesitate to let him ride anything I have owned.

I will answer StromDude's question directly. Yes, a C14 is a big step UP in
terms of power and weight. Nether of these virtues are your friend unless
you desire them. The thrill of the Connie's acceleration must be amazing
but if the V-strom has enough power to satisfy you then that is fine also.
With the Connie's power comes additional weight. Everyone says the extra
mass bleeds away like on a Gold Wing once you start moving. To me extra
weight on a bike is a negative unless you like the feel of the extra weight.
Satisfaction in what you ride is everything... If you are satisfied with what
you have you are blessed. Less sometimes can be more........ I agree with
everyone that has advised to "try before you buy". You will know then.....
I would have never sold my 1125CR Buell if H-D had not abandoned the Co.
It was time for a change and I made it. Ride the bikes, then you will know.

The Vstrom has always had all the power I ever needed. What I am looking for is more creature comforts. I never used the vstrom for off road. I want a better windshield, heated grips, more wind protection and more modern technology like the linked ABS and the traction control. I realize that they come at a price of more weight and power which I am fine with. I can't find another alternative between the fjr and the connie that meets my needs unless there are other alternatives i am missing.

Honda has the NV700 they sold for one year. I've seen a couple for sale here. That is really about it in a mid-sized sport tourer unless you go to something more on the sporty side of the equation, but there go your creature comforts.

So here's another question. Do you think the Concours 14 is to big of a step up from a 650 V-strom? I mainly just putt around town and take day trips out into the hill country. Is it more of a touring bike than I need or will I enjoy it on my day trips? it seems to be pretty heavy of a bike. Is there something in the middle that would suit me better? I am just looking for more wind protection and creature comforts than the vstrom.

Maybe a Suzuki Bandit 1250 GSFA. A more standard oriented bike and lower weight, but with ABS with some wind protection. In addition to decent prices, also heard that Suzuki is offering Givi side cases and racks on close outs models for $199.

Concourse. Why? Because it fits (me) better.

I wouldn't consider either for 2 up at this point in our life, but as a one seater it would be a kick in the head. Plenty have already said it, ride them both and go from there. A Super T or one of the new Trimphs might be something to consider if you don't desire the "sport" tour seating. Use your imagination and don't limit your options.

Happy Hunting

Thanks for all the assistance. I purchased a 2011 Silver Concours 14 today. I just have to wait for it to come into the dealer in a few days....

Central Texas Powersports, they just sold the one they had on the showroom floor a couple of days ago to someone on the internet...they are finding one

Well, it's not an FJR so I guess it will have to do...:trust:

Congrats. it will be a sweet and strong ride.

You will find that it extends your range.:rider:

They had a brand new 2012 Blue FJR just out of the crate, it is a pretty bike, I just liked all the new technology on the Connie like tire pressure monitoring, traction control and linked ABS, it just seems like a more modern bike...

And now he has ridden it in three of the four seasons. All in one day! :-P

I think you made a good choice with the Kawi. The one thing I wish my FJR had is a sixth gear. You're going to love it. :rider:

I preferred the new Connie. I've ridden both and thought the Connie's newer technology is worth the price of addmission. I'd seriously look at the FJR as a contended if the FJR's price to new design/technology was not so steep. For an expensive machine, I expect the features and styling to remain current with the competition. Motorcycle purchases are notoriously known to be influenced by emotion, so if you want one with a banana seat and handle bar streamers, no one will make fun of you. At least not to your face.

I'm glad with my choice. I did a lot of research. There was a brand new FJR on the showroom floor, it just seemed plain next to the Connie. It is a pretty bike but seemed dated on the technology. The Connie rode great on Saturday. Once I get the bar risers and wedges installed and the grip puppies, I'm sure it will be much more comfortable. Thanks for all the input.

Back