• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ400 vs DR650

MasMak

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new DS bike. My two up riding will probably include my kids at best (11yr old heaviest- 95 lbs).

I would like to go to the SHNF sometimes, maybe to Galveston beach. I am located near League City.

Is the DRZ400 to small for that? DR650 better? I like the idea of small for offroad - but want something for the street that can compete

Which way?:doh:

I am looking to buy a new DS bike. My two up riding will probably include my kids at best (11yr old heaviest- 95 lbs).

I would like to go to the SHNF sometimes, maybe to Galveston beach. I am located near League City.

Is the DRZ400 to small for that? DR650 better? I like the idea of small for offroad - but want something for the street that can compete

Which way?:doh:

I have a DRZ400s, which has passenger pegs. I have hauled my daughter up and down some jeep trails in CO. She's 14 now, so that was last summer. Skinny twig of a kid. I hardly notice her there. She used to ride and is a good passenger. I have also carried a grown man a couple hundred yards and it was work. Big difference between 200 extra pounds and 100.

So, how often and how far for riding two up? Occasionally, then a DRZ will work. Long stretches on the highway? I'd look for a different bike.

I ride DR650. Those are all IMO.

DR650 is made for street 50: offroad 50.
Great for highway to fire road to Galveston Beach to Big Bend .
You can still go SHNF and other offroad parks such as Outlaw Trax, Cherokee, etc, but difficult to run fast. Heavy to go through tight turns and its suspension is only good on flat surface.
Enough power, and a lot of torque.

I have never ridden DRZ400, but is probably 25:75, more off road biased. Equipped better for offroad riding. Has about same power with 650, but need to rev more to generate it. Better than 650 in any offroad riding situation including SHNF, but harder for long highway ride.

Ken

I found power/torque comparison in metric unit from ADVrider and foreign Suzuki site.

DR650
Torque: 54 Nm @ 4,600 rpm
Power: 32 kW @ 6,400 rpm

DRZ400S
Torque: 39 Nm @ 6,500 rpm
Power: 29 kW @ 7,500 rpm

KLR 650
Torque: 46 Nm @ 5,000 rpm
Power: 33 kW @ 6,000 rpm

Well, when I had my DRZ400s I used to highway it up from Spring to Huntsville for a couple of rides with TM, it can do it - not two up though. The DRZ can handle the trails in SHNF, it is more of a dirt bike that can be ridden on the highway.

+1 for Texas DR's reply. DRZ400 can run 80 MPH on the highway if needed. It doesn't really give up much to the larger displacement 650's.

I currently own both. The 400 is definitely a more modern bike. For most purposes, I would consider it the better bike. If I were riding to Tierra del Fuego and back though, I'd go with the 650. It's oriented more toward high speed road riding. It's noticeably heavier, but simple and durable. Bottom end torque seems endless. I consider water cooling to be a mixed blessing. Ride both before deciding. I'd be happy owning either one.

Back