• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Form 130-U...more retardedness from the tax office

My wife works in the tax office and she told me the reason Texas went to the "presumptive value" or actual sale value (whichever is greater) was because at least at her office, they almost never saw a used vehicle sell for more than $100.00. Guess the state government figured out that a lot of tax money was being lost with the $100.00 sales.

/rant on.
the topic's been beat to death before, but why does the state get to tax a vehicle every time it sells. Imagine the overall taxed value of a vehicle that changes hands 10 times during its lifetime. ridiculous.
/rant off.

Just got back from the tax office, here's another bit of ridiculousness... Evidently Brad and Bradley are simply too different to allow the state of Texas to recognize the signatures on the title and the U-130. So now I get to try to get the original owner to send in an affidavit stating there was - and I quote - "no fraud intended" and that Brand and Bradley are indeed one in the same.

So - make sure you check that all signatures match on both sides of the title AND the U-130 - and that's reguardless of what they print next to the signature.

Well, I made it to the tax office this afternoon with the title, 130, and $$$. All went smoothly. Feigning ignorance and letting him lead the discussion seems the way to go. Took less than 10 minutes all together from opening the door to the building until I was done and on my way home.

I, too, transferred the title on my new Ducati this week in Brazos County. In and out of there in under 15 minutes. No problems, and the guy I bought the bike from had signed the title with his whole name while the title was in his nickname. I had a bill of sale and they handed me the U-130 to fill out on my own. No seller signature required.

I've never had a problem with Brazos County, in fact, it seems they make a concerted effort to make every transaction in that office a pleasant one. They have someone "directing traffic", making sure you don't have to wait for an open clerk. It's amazing, I really have to give that office an A+.:clap:

I only wish the DMV in Brazos County were as kind and efficient. But that's another story, I had to go to another county to get my son's driver's license issued rather than deal with the nonsense in that office.

I guess it all boils down to "who" works in the office and what kind of customer service atmosphere the boss generates and encourages.

MotorcycleBelle

and keep (your) tags whenever you sell a vehicle, no matter how much the buyer whines. :trust:

This varies from state to state. Texas just recently changed to permit keeping the plates when you sell a car. They even have a neat web application for printing a temporary tag when a car is sold via private party transaction.

However, plate goes with the motorcycle in Texas. You cannot transfer it to a new bike.

Back