• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend NP Camping

Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Drew
The bride and I are getting ready to start tent camping and have just about gotten all the "stuff" we think we need. I have vacation coming at the end of Nov and first of Dec. We will take a couple of over nighters around here to shake out the kinks but we want to do Big Bend (Chisos Basin) and probably Ft. Davis SP for a night. Looking at the BB website and trying to make sense of their reservation system. I will call them but trying to pick out a nice place to set up our tent and have the Gold Wing and trailer parked right there AND not have to walk to far to the bathroom. No need to mention bears or she will hold it all night. For those of you that have camped out there, can you recommend some sites or areas that are nice and quiet but convenient?

Thanks

I'm assuming that with a Gold Wing & trailer, back country camping is pretty much out?

The two major campgrounds are the Chisos Basin - high and cool - and the Rio Grande Village - lower altitude & warmer, but highly shaded. The problem with both is they tend to be crowded.

There's a third campground that, in my experience, sits pretty empty most of the time. Cottonwood Campground. It's on the road over to Santa Elena Canyon, which is to say it's a long way from anywhere. The campground itself has exactly the same amenities as any NP campground - water in campsite, toilets, showers (I think). But when you need milk or ice, you'll drive a ways, whereas the other CGs have stores onsite. If you value solitude over immediate access, you may want to check that one out.

There are black bears there; I've never seen one. On the other hand, the javalinas pretty much own the place. Then, there are the coyotes, skunks, and - surprisingly - mule deer.

There may be some smaller areas that others know.

There are no showers at Cottonwood but there is a store on top the hill.

RGV has pay showers near by in the store but it closes at 8:00 pm.

As for skunks, keep the pull on you tent zipper at the top. The critters have learned how to unzip a tent. Also, peccaries are pretty thick and wonder the campsites at night. Be careful not to kick on your way to the privy in the dark.

Most of the sites in RGV are about the same. Those inside the circles are pretty open and those on the out side are some secludes with brush.

The Basin sites are small and some may be a challenge to navigate a 1000# land yacht with a tow behind.

My suggestion would be try to get there early enough to visit the sites and pick out the one you like.

That time of year usually isn't too crowded. The reservation site will let you know how many sites are reserved which should give you an idea.

You can pay for your site at RGV so you won't have to ride back to Panther Junction once you find the site you like, not sure about the others.

No fires in the National Park.

Edit: As for temp, it flip-flops in the winter and can be much colder in the lower campgrounds than the basin at night.

Davis Mountain is nice. You can have a fire but I'm sure there is a burn ban at the moment.

Last edited:
Cottonwood has the Castalon store only a mile or two away, but I don't remember that it has a lot of stuff. Enough to survive. However it does not have showers. The upsides are that it is less used and no generators allowed so it is quiet.

And they all have javelinas, but bears would only be a concern in the Chisos basin and even then a minor one. Use the provided boxes to keep food away from the javelina.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/cottonwood_campground.htm

Davis Mountains; we like to stay in the loop closest to the Lodge. The RVs fill the middle loop where the best view is. There is a shower/batroon in the lower end, the spots you see first. The side furthest from the road and next to the dry creek is quiet.

Big fan of Rio Grand Village. They have a section for the crowd with generators and one for everyone else. As has been mentioned, Javelinas are the pests supreme although the last time I was there some of the Turkey Vultures were begging in the camp site. Bears are like snakes, you have to bother one to get in trouble. Ask the Rangers if there have been any sightings and consider yourself lucky if you get to see one.

The first week in December can have very nice weather depending on fronts. Park Rangers have told me several times that the Chisos Basin is warmer in the winter than Rio Grande Village due to the topography. With that said, the coldest night I have ever spend was a January evening in the Chisos Basin campground. (And I've spent some cold nights mountaineering.)

Don't plan on consistent cell reception anywhere in the park. I understand that you can get a signal in the Grapevine Hills, but have never tested it.

BBNP is one of my favorite places. My parents considered it a weekend getaway and would drag us there from Fort Worth several times a year. I proposed to my wive on the South Rim Overlook. If you love the desert, you should enjoy yourself.

There is a BB/Terlingua forum with tons of great info....not sure the site name but I can get it. Voni is on there also.

Thanks guys. For the last 37 years our camping has been roughing it at a Super 8 but we both like the outdoors and with grandkids coming up...

I can do some gravel but really prefer not to. You would be surprised what the Gold Wing can do - not that I can make it do it though :eek2: -

Javelinas are no problem. Killed several and they taste good. They really are more bluff than bite but I know that if you get between Momma and her babies then there will be some severe gnashing of teeth on your legs.

Thanks for the information. We can usually go mid-week due to my job so the crowds shouldn't be a problem. We really love it out there.

Actually, you'll enjoy the javelinas - they're part of the floor show. They just kind of wander around and snort a lot. Never bother anybody. I've had them get under my camping trailer and scratch their backs against the bottom. They're actually rather endearing in a snorty, smelly way.

Midweek, not during a vacation period, and not adjacent to a holiday weekend, you'll probably be able pick the campground of your choice. But Cottonwood will always be emptier than the others. Enjoy.

The bride and I are getting ready to start tent camping and have just about gotten all the "stuff" we think we need. I have vacation coming at the end of Nov and first of Dec. We will take a couple of over nighters around here to shake out the kinks but we want to do Big Bend (Chisos Basin) and probably Ft. Davis SP for a night. Looking at the BB website and trying to make sense of their reservation system. I will call them but trying to pick out a nice place to set up our tent and have the Gold Wing and trailer parked right there AND not have to walk to far to the bathroom. No need to mention bears or she will hold it all night. For those of you that have camped out there, can you recommend some sites or areas that are nice and quiet but convenient?

Thanks

Don't think anyone mentioned it so my apologies if I am repeating advice.

Yes, the reservations system for BB is very confusing. I've stayed there (Chisos) twice this year and, well, twice most years.

Here's the deal for Chisos: A portion of sites are reservable. The remainder are First Come First Served. Here's the catch: The reservable sites pretty much suck compared to the FCFS sites. Well, suck is relative. Chisos Basin rocks. But I digress...

So, what's a guy to do? Show up early and midweek to make sure you get a site or reserve one for a backup - they're cheap so this is what I do. In early December you should have pretty good odds unless you show up late Friday or on Saturday. All sites at Chisos are close to bathroom. Especially for dudes. :trust:

Fort Davis rocks, too. I just got back from there yesterday. What'd John Denver sing? "It's like coming home to a place I'd never been before."

Big Bend Country is one of the great places on Earth.

IMG1770-M.jpg
IMG1768-M.jpg

Thanks AusFletch
that is exactly the information I was looking for.

Glad to help. There are few places that I like as much as Big Bend Country. Already planning my next trip. Here's some teasers of what to expect...

Heading to park
105088066_U8Va3-S.jpg

Chisos Basin CG
1233325404_yf4bJ-S.jpg

Sunset (or was it sunrise?)
1233325031_27CML-S.jpg

Santa Elena Canyon
1238150155_9sp6E-S.jpg

South Rim
105089711_P9FmQ-S.jpg

105090289_dGeXB-S.jpg

Chimneys Trail
1233353812_fd6Lp-S.jpg

105080260_KnoJF-S.jpg

105080670_x2Pkr-S.jpg

Old Maverick Road
50210622_hWA6N-S.jpg

248831419_QrpvK-S.jpg

Not technically Big Bend but close....

Chinati Hot Springs
248828967_Z3AZE-S.jpg

248829593_564k8-S.jpg

Pinto Canyon Road (my favorite road in Texas)
248828297_jwWf9-S.jpg

Wanna see Davis Mountains now?!?! :sun:

Back