• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS can do!

"If I wanted a full-size bike that’s reliable but not too powerful, what brand and size should i look at?"

3 guesses?

"If I wanted a full-size bike that’s reliable but not too powerful, what brand and size should i look at?"

3 guesses?

:shrug:This has to be trick question.:shrug:

Totally agree, I get nervous at 40mph on the narrow dirt roads. Like I said, don't recommend it, just sharing. Was out yesterday going a little faster than I'm comfortable with, was watching the grass more than the road. Deer are moving this time of year for sure.

Out here in West Texas, with the caliche dirt roads, which are a hard base with loose dirt (sand) and and rocks on top, my 950 will actually spin up the rear tire at high speeds, like at 80 mph or over.

It is a weird sensation, almost like the clutch is slipping. It took me a while to figure out that it was actually the rear tire tire spinning up trying to grab traction at high speed.

Out here in West Texas, with the caliche dirt roads, which are a hard base with loose dirt (sand) and and rocks on top, my 950 will actually spin up the rear tire at high speeds, like at 80 mph or over.

It is a weird sensation, almost like the clutch is slipping. It took me a while to figure out that it was actually the rear tire tire spinning up trying to grab traction at high speed.

I have experienced that on my 1200 GS and had the exact same thought. I thought maybe I had overworked the dry clutch and it was starting to wear out. I was out NW of Carlsbad, NM., blasting down some cool roads when it started. I wasn't running at 80+ though :-P

Merry Christmas

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1514150359436.jpg
    FB_IMG_1514150359436.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 180
Hmmm

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1514687702013.jpg
    FB_IMG_1514687702013.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 190
Does this make my butt look big? lol

Attachments

• 26733395_914081468758435_4755983618098378899_n.jpg
    26733395_914081468758435_4755983618098378899_n.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 188
I'd have deleted this one...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFT-QIU1aiU"]GS Rider Gets Owned by Harley Rider - Off Road - YouTube[/ame]

I'll just leave this here...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1mDAbD6RM"]Ride a BMW R1200 GS Adventure Off-Road - YouTube[/ame]

One more...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFWzuRWE1hE"]KTM1290R Adventure vs BMW R1200GS RALLYE - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunately, I can't watch this video, I'm on limited usage or internet gets REAL slow. Beauty of living in the sticks.:giveup:..

Consider yourself lucky then, painful video to watch. Short on substance and long on mindless banter/bickering in an attempt at humor.

Unfortunately, I can't watch this video, I'm on limited usage or internet gets REAL slow. Beauty of living in the sticks.:giveup:

That said, which bike did they like best and why? Thanks

I'm still thinking 1090.

1290R... ;-)

:tab Seems like they should have had similar tires on both bikes to make any real comparison. The tires make a HUGE difference on the big bikes, on or off road. Nothing has really changed since KTM started going head to head with BMW. The KTM is the better dirt bike and the BMW the better street bike, with both trying to move closer to the other without giving up their dominance of their end of the spectrum. The KTM makes power more like a sport bike while the GS more like a tractor. Both handle well. Price difference is even becoming less of a factor as the KTM seems to be moving toward the GS end of the spectrum in this regard rather than the GS moving lower toward the KTM. I just can't feel good about spending that kind of money on a big bike and then taking it out and really putting it through the rough and tumble of hard adventure riding.

:tab Let's face it, they are big heavy bikes and when they fall down, they get torn up. Simple drops aren't a big issue, it's the drops at any speed more than 5-10mph that will do the damage, and if you don't get clear, the damage will be done to you as well. So for an average adventure rider that is not going to be using these bikes like Extreme Enduro bikes, either bike will do just fine. The KTM apparently has the heat under the seat issue, which could be a deal breaker for some folks. The GS is heavier, which could be a deal breaker for some folks. I think it really comes down to which bike speaks to you when you see it and ride it :shrug:

I'm still thinking 1090.

I was in Cycle Shack North on Saturday and they had a new 1090 with an $11,500 tag hanging on it...

:tab Let's face it, they are big heavy bikes and when they fall down, they get torn up. Simple drops aren't a big issue, it's the drops at any speed more than 5-10mph that will do the damage, and if you don't get clear, the damage will be done to you as well.

To me, after a bike gets over 350 pounds, doing a lot more than dirt roads at speed is asking for damage. Like the guy riding the GS solo through Utah in the previous video, my hat's off to him, but he probably did a few dollars worth of damage to his GS. Where on a lighter bike, I've watched a few of mine tumble end-over-end after I had separated from them, and still be able to ride them home with minimum to no damage. (I know you can relate:rofl:)

Last edited:
Just bought me another Dakar this past weekend for a little adventure. I had one a couple years ago and rode it less than 300 miles.

Raced Hare Scrambles for many years and now want to take it easy. Sold my flooded YZ and bought me another BMW.

Welcome back to the Dakar fold Wick. What year?

Just bought me another Dakar this past weekend for a little adventure. I had one a couple years ago and rode it less than 300 miles.

Raced Hare Scrambles for many years and now want to take it easy. Sold my flooded YZ and bought me another BMW.

awesome

It's an '06 with 5300 miles. Original owner. It was always garaged but needs a good ******. Everything is original.

Back