• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

simple gps unit

Reaction score
First Name
Patric
Last Name
Guthrie
I am tired of reading thread after thread, hundreds of internet searches, anything else I can think of, and not finding what I am looking for. Need a simple GPS unit. Needs to have an audio output to input into a sound mixer to go with my Zune and radar detector. I would like to me able to load my own custom routes. Does not need Bluetooth, mp3, satellite radio, or anything else. Waterproof would be nice, but does not have to be. Screen size does not matter as I would mostly rely on the audio prompts.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks!

Ahh, one problem though, no audio out. No cable for it either like the streetpilot 2700 has. Any ideas on a way to get audio out from it?

the 550 is an older unit, I'm pretty sure the newer 660 has blue tooth which can be used to transmit to your hemlet if your using a comm system. If your not, I'd recommend the Sena SMH10's... relatively cheap and tons of volume when riding (even at 100mph with earplugs in!).

Does not need Bluetooth, mp3, satellite radio, or anything else. Waterproof would be nice, but does not have to be. Screen size does not matter as I would mostly rely on the audio prompts.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks!

Simple. Don't like paying for stuff I don't want.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, cdn_bacon

the 550 is an older unit, I'm pretty sure the newer 660 has blue tooth which can be used to transmit to your hemlet if your using a comm system. If your not, I'd recommend the Sena SMH10's... relatively cheap and tons of volume when riding (even at 100mph with earplugs in!).

That was the Nuvi 550 I linked, not the zumo 550. The zumo 550 has been around a while and the nuvi only a couple of years. The nuvi 550 and 500 are also listed by garmin as motorcycle units because they are somewhat waterproof. Both handle 10 routes and a 1000 waypoints. The nuvi 660 you mention is not waterproof and has features he didn't need.

Yeah, the one Rusty posted is exactly what I am looking for with the pretty simple mod I found on that other forum. Thanks again Rusty!

Honestly on my Zumo 550 I have gotten so used to just glancing at the screen that I don't even miss the voice prompts. I have a bluetooth headset in my helmet, but I use it straight to the phone. The phone will stream stereo music over bluetooth. If my older zumo did that then I might hook to it.

Years ago I tried it wired with earbuds, but never found a set that was very comfortable and the wire was a pain. So most of the time I just look at it. The voice would surprise me and wake me out of my nice helmet solitude :doh:

I've been using a Nuvi 770 on the motorcycle for three years now and it works great.

a zip loc baggie cures the "not waterproof" issue just fine - and I have ridden in some HARD rain with it.

Partial hijack here.... After shutting down the bike 10 times today(air cooled) to use my iphone to get a fix on my position, and with no signal, it's time for a GPS. With this Nuvi 550, can plan a route on my pc or mac and download it to the unit. Do I need mapsource for this? These units don't appear to be shipped with that software. Also, what maps would I need to purchase the get all the little county roads I like to ride?

Partial hijack here.... After shutting down the bike 10 times today(air cooled) to use my iphone to get a fix on my position, and with no signal, it's time for a GPS. With this Nuvi 550, can plan a route on my pc or mac and download it to the unit. Do I need mapsource for this? These units don't appear to be shipped with that software. Also, what maps would I need to purchase the get all the little county roads I like to ride?

Mapsource is not Mac compatible. You can down load MapQuest maps to the Nuvi 550. I can plan my routes on the Nuvi 550. I'll use MapQuest or other map sites for reference as I'm planning the route instead of downloading the route from the computer.

The 550 comes with both the street map and a topo map. So far the map has been pretty complete and it came with a free update. If you want you can purchase MapSource for use with a PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basecamp is Garmin's program for the Mac's. And I suspect, the future program for the PC world too.

Just picked up a Garmin 60CSX with the City Nav DVD and Topo 24K. For a simple GPS, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Can plan routes, easy to use with a summer glove if buttons need be pushed, and easy mounting using a RAM mount and hard wired to the bikes electrical. For a simple, water resistant, durable unit, I think it's pretty good....so far.

Back