• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

July pie run ride reports

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
please post pics and July Elm creek café pie run reports here:

Nice place, bigger than it appears from the road (took us awhile to find it). Good CFS and dewberry pie (a la mode, of course). Great to see those I don't see near often enough. It was warm of course, but the total distance was only about 150 miles therefore not too terribly bad.

We rode about 250 miles, warm but not too bad.
It was good to see the Austin crowd.

We left Austin slightly past nine this morning. Our humble group was comprised of Jeff (Jeff S), Kurt on his blue 2014 GS and Tom (TexTom) bringing up the rear. Thomas (ThomasM) was going to join us but decided to stay in the arms of Morpheus a wee bit longer than the the rest of us. He joined us later in Lincoln. Anyway, we took the scenic route from Elgin consisting of county road 3000 or the Old Lexington Highway among other splendid country roads. We were all amazed at how green the surrounding countryside was due to the recent batch of heavy rain from about a week ago.

Once we arrived at the restaurant, other TWTEX'eronians had just arrived and were milling about the parking lot. Our large luncheon table was comprised of some rather gnarly motorcycle characters such Jerry, Camilo, Jeff, Thomas, Dave, Mike, and Robb. After telling tall tales and sharing recent ride experiences, our group split up following lunch.

Jeff, Thomas and I proceeded to take the long road back to Austin. At one point, we stopped at the Bastrop golf course, at my urging, in order to cool off with the putting green sprinkler. After being wet for a few seconds, we detected a putrid odor emanating from the sprinkler. We had inadvertently doused our riding clothes with sewer water. Apparently, the City of Bastrop is trying to conserve water, so only effluent water is used to treat the golf course.

All in all, a great day and as always it was super meeting all of the TWTEX friends. Thanks Leon for your continued support in organizing these events.

RB

Sniff sniff, you smell that?
[ame="http://youtu.be/FYMgluEf97M"]Lynyrd Skynyrd That Smell - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Got in a good 450ish miles round trip. And that didn't include two 180's on Hwy 21 and finally my riding buddy Bill (pub610) asking for directions at a local family reunion. Three of us, two with GPS' and all three with smart phones still had to do the tried and true ask the locals for directions...

Jeff, Thomas and I proceeded to take the long road back to Austin. At one point, we stopped at the Bastrop golf course, at my urging, in order to cool off with the putting green sprinkler. After being wet for a few seconds, we detected a putrid odor emanating from the sprinkler. We had inadvertently doused our riding clothes with sewer water. Apparently, the City of Bastrop is trying to conserve water, so only effluent water is used to treat the golf course.

Ah yes, memories. It could be worse. A couple years ago, it rained during ACL Fest. The hipsters being undeterred by a little rain and mud created their own Slip 'n Slide in Zilker Park. They soon realized the odor was a little off and soon found the City had fertilized the Great Lawn with Dillo Dirt (treated sewage). God bless their little green tree-hugging hearts.

http://www.prwatch.org/news/2012/03...ash-texas-musical-fest-goers-blame-dillo-diro

Dillo_Dirt_Mud_Dancers_Panoramic.png

Last edited:
my day started out with me pulling out from the house at 5:45am:yawn: to head 30 miles north to meet up with the western DFW contingent for the ride down the back way east of I-35.
we pulled out of the parking lot in Arlington and it became quickly apparent that the custom route I drew up in mapquest had not saved and the Garmin only had a basic direct route saved in it.
I knew the first third and the last third so I improvised and we ended up with only a short gravel and interstate sections not originally planned but did arrive a bit sooner than expected at 10:45am

as we were approaching Elm creek we saw a large contingent of folks and assorted singles headed the opposite way past the café, and that had me worried something was wrong there but it turned out they were paying more attention to their navigation and not enough to their surroundings.:lol2:

I warned ya it could be tricky, fortunately Google has been doing a lot of work fixing their location fixes and they had it right now.

nice turn out and it was only mildly warm out there.

the return trip was a bit more interesting as I decided to take a more direct route home with a chunk of I-35 from Waco to Hillsboro. I had failed (again) to factor in the large volume of traffic would have a very disturbing effect at super heating the air around 35 and it was a very toasty trip up to the point that my radiator fan stayed on for most of that run. poor Tyra was toasty running with a water temp over 210*. she needs a bigger radiator.

arrived home at 4:30pm with just shy of 400 miles for the trip.

After being wet for a few seconds, we detected a putrid odor emanating from the sprinkler. We had inadvertently doused our riding clothes with sewer water.
RB

Oh. Classic. You will never hear the end of this. Ever. :rofl:

I was going to give a brief riding report for Jerry, Sodapop and I but this was the end-all to the ride reports for this pie run.

:lol2::rofl::rofl::rofl::lol2: priceless!

I was able to successfully decontaminate the riding jacket and gear with repeated washing using perfumed scented laundry soap.

The bike seat is another story. It has a foul, sulfur odor coming from deep within the seat cushion. I was thinking perhaps of giving the seat a tomato sauce bath....the similar technique that is done when a dog is sprayed by a skunk. Dousing the seat with Chanel #5 has been another suggestion to remedy the foul smell.

coffee.gif

RB

I wouldn't worry about the bikes seat, I can't vouch for every one but I don't go around smelling other guys seats!:eek2::lol2:

Poo flavored water....:eek2:

That will be hard to top and I'm not even going to try. I will, however, post up some pictures of lunch and pie. A few bikes too.

First getting there. Easy peasy route 2920, 290, 77, 1624 then a couple of u turns described by Bill and Skip above. Google did have it right on my phone but did I follow directions....no. :giveup:

Bill and Skip
a_zps83f2c57d.jpg

Lunch for all three of us was this, CFS that the nice lady said was "grilled". I suspect that it was cooked on the flattop but it was good. Nice and tender with a decent cream gravy
P1020222_zps537abaac.jpg

Pie
P1020223_zps19f1c6aa.jpg

I counted about 30 (?) bikes and here's a few. Sorry no pics of Kurt on his new wasserboxer GSA (fully farkeled too)
P1020227_zps3218de32.jpg

P1020229_zps03b6d373.jpg

The ride home was up 21 to Caldwell for the Burelson County Court House.
P1020231_zpsb6d0dca5.jpg

Then back down 36 to Brenham and a stop to cool off at Starbucks (nice a/c and a clean bathroom). Then 290 over to 1155 in Chappel Hill for gas to 105 to Navasota (Sonic for a cool drink) then 90 to Anderson then 149 thru the forest to Montgomery then 2854 to the 336 loop to the slab and home. 300 miles for the day and the highest temp I saw was 103. :sun:

Selfie of the day
P1020235_zps9fe218ea.jpg

Reflection shot
P1020236_zps4faf65bb.jpg

Jerry, Sodapop (Robb) and I started at Jerry's storefront in Elgin. We then headed out some back roads to Lawrence Chapel to see some Texas historical areas (mainly where some of the Olive family are buried). Jerry took us further out in the middle of nowheresville (I'll have to look at the GPS track to see where we went) until we ended up in Lincoln just about 11am. My ride back was uneventful as I had to get ready for work which starts at 3pm for me. Had a good time, scenery was great, company at the Cafe was great... the whole day was great until I got home but that's another story.

Attachments

• 20140726_111349.jpg
    20140726_111349.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 196
  • 20140726_095107.jpg
    20140726_095107.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 20140726_095059.jpg
    20140726_095059.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20140726_092236.jpg
    20140726_092236.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 184
Got a later start than I wanted too. Just returned from vacation and hadn't checked the tire pressure for a number of weeks. Tires were 4 lbs low, broke the tire inflator valve. Had to use the spare out of the truck. So to catch up on lost time. Made a straight shot out of Austin across 290 to 21.

Was already in the 80's when I pulled out at 9:45am
001-20140726.jpg~original

Traffic was light and moving quick on 290.
002-20140726.jpg~original

Already a pretty good group when I arrive. (panorama picture)
P7267056_stitch_768.jpg~original

Fellow TWT's
003-20140726.jpg~original

004-20140726.jpg~original

These were great!
005-20140726.jpg~original

Visiting in the shade before heading home.
006-20140726.jpg~original

I did take the "back way" home thru Lexington, Blue, Coupland to Pflugerville.
008-20140726.jpg~original

Great seeing everyone.

Wish I had more time to visit but all I could think about was when I needed to leave and getting home in time to get to work. Takes the fun out of days like that.

Great pics everyone! My camera battery was dead (I thought it was freshly charged) so only had cell phone pics.

BTW, thanks to whoever brought those few last onion rings to our table - they were delicious!

That might have been me. The above picture is the medium size order! The size I got. [emoji51]

Jeff

I was going to give a brief riding report for Jerry, Sodapop and I but this was the end-all to the ride reports for this pie run.

:rofl:

I nearly followed them into the sprinklers because it looked so refreshing, then thought about where the irrigation for our golf course down the street comes from, then a second later realized Bastrop's was no different, then the smell confirmed it. Whew, glad I hesitated...

I nearly followed them into the sprinklers because it looked so refreshing, then thought about where the irrigation for our golf course down the street comes from, then a second later realized Bastrop's was no different, then the smell confirmed it. Whew, glad I hesitated...

Smart accountant rules the day!

:clap:

...I did enjoy watching both of you drag racing your bikes in East Austin on the way back home. Fortunately, a Travis County Sheriff was not lurking around the corner. Yep, the Honda 599 Hornet won by a nose.

RB

Good Pie Run.

My KLX had been sitting for a while and needed to be ridden. I took a nice solo dual-sport ride out through Bastrop and Lee Counties to get out there.

Elm Creek Cafe was great, nice layout and good food. Thanks Jhansen for sharing onion rings- I knew they would be good and one was all I needed.

Took a nice, yet direct dual sport route back to Travis County with Sodapop. We even managed to find a couple small mud holes :mrgreen:.

Good to see everyone.

My thoughts exactly.

red BROWN (huh-huh).

I was able to successfully decontaminate the riding jacket and gear with repeated washing using perfumed scented laundry soap.

The bike seat is another story. It has a foul, sulfur odor coming from deep within the seat cushion. I was thinking perhaps of giving the seat a tomato sauce bath....the similar technique that is done when a dog is sprayed by a skunk. Dousing the seat with Chanel #5 has been another suggestion to remedy the foul smell.

coffee.gif

RB
Tomato sauce/juice doesn't work to remove the skunk smell( just turned our dalmation red LOL) but a combination of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap sure does. Can't remember the quantities of each off hand but got the recipe from our vet. If you have a vet they would know. Good luck

Back