• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cot on sale

Almost identical to the Go Kot, but the latter has a double set of legs at the two center positions.

I think it was Hardy Baker who brought a Go Kot to a BBQ4U, and then I picked up several of my own.

$56?
[copy]Buy Directly from Byer of Maine
Availability: In stock.

Regular Price: $74.95
Special Price: $56.20[paste]

If I didn't already have a Go-Kot, I'd certainly give this a look.

are these things more comfortable than the old GI cots? On a scale of 1-10, If sleeping on a boulder field was a one and sleeping on a feather bed a ten, I would rate the GI cot around 5 and my klymit air mattress a 7 or 8. What say you experienced consumers?

are these things more comfortable than the old GI cots? On a scale of 1-10, If sleeping on a boulder field was a one and sleeping on a feather bed a ten, I would rate the GI cot around 5 and my klymit air mattress a 7 or 8. What say you experienced consumers?

I will speak for the Go Kot since that's what I have (3 of them) and as I mentioned, the Go Kot has 2 additional steel spring "legs".

Comfort: IMO equal to a fully inflated air mattress of good quality. The Kot will begin to really beat an air mattress at about 2 am when your air mattress is half deflated and you feel your **** in contact with that pebble you neglected to sweep from your camp site.

Speed: Set up and take down of these units is very fast. Obviously no air pumps to deal with, no mattress deflation to contend with. Of course, your air mattress deflates itself overnight so there's that.

Tricewife and I take our Kots on RAGBRAI, a 7 day camping/cycling event in Iowa every year, in July. We've done it for 15 years. In the early days, it was air mattresses. No more. The Kot is ideal. We also moved to the Coleman Instant Tent as well for speedy camp break down. We have to be up and on the road cycling by sunrise.

IF you are static camping, and IF you want a portable bed that will fit 2 people, and inflating it and keeping it inflated is not a factor, than I'd go with an air mattress. Go Kot doesn't make a unit for more than 1 person. And these units are not for hiking the Appalachian Trail.

These Kots are what you want if you want to wake up in the morning in the same comfort you went to bed with.

Almost anything is more comfortable than a GI cot, in my humble opinion. The big comfort problem with them is that most of them, in my experience, were high in the center and low toward each end. This left the sleeper slightly pretzeled into a tummy-high head-feet-low sleeping position. The modern, low cots I've slept on are more comfortable though most of the ones I've used had a tendency to tilt toward one end or the other if you didn't keep your weight perfectly centered. I haven't used a Go-Kot, so somebody else will have to comment.

I'm an air mattress guy, and am currently using and loving a Coleman.

Some of the best sleep I ever got in the Army was on a GI cot. Of course, that has more to do with their terrible purchasing habits re: beds than it does the actual comfort of the cots...

Some of the best sleep I ever got in the Army was on a GI cot. Of course, that has more to do with their terrible purchasing habits re: beds than it does the actual comfort of the cots...

At least you weren't required to waste your time rigging a sneeze sheet on a cot...

whats a sneeze sheet? We only had fart sacks. Oh, and I never thought the GI cots were all that bad 20 years ago, but I bought one and took to big bend a few years ago and it was misery. Amazing what 20 years can change.

Almost identical to the Go Kot, but the latter has a double set of legs at the two center positions.

I think it was Hardy Baker who brought a Go Kot to a BBQ4U, and then I picked up several of my own.

Well, the double set of legs, as I understand, is $129 - 350lb. Another 50 and I can get a Therm-A-Rest on sale.

This one is $56 free shipping, 250lb. A friend of mine has it, and his only complain is the size for motorcycle.

I ordered one. Will see. :)

Back