• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Title questions - Yeah I know, never buy without a title, but!!!

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
OK guys, I have a little question here. I have a situation where I have a bike, and I have a signed title. The title is signed by the previous owner and he had given it to a fellow that started to fix it up a little and then he passed away. Apparently his widow re-gifted the bike back to the original owner because she really didn't know what to do with it. His signature and printed name is on the buyer/agent lines (the fellow who passed away) and obviously I have the title but I was wondering do I really need to do anything with this title at the moment or should I go ahead and contact the fellow I traded the bike for. I know if I had to I could go with a bonded title but I am hoping to use this bike to trade into another bike and I want to clean up the title issue without a bonded title if I can avoid it.

The only reason I let this slide at the time was because I traded one bike for a partial runner and this one and the runner turned out to be worth its money and then some in trade so I was not too worried about this one at the time.

I've reached out to the original owner and he was a decent fellow at the time so I am sure he'll respond shortly but I was just curious if someone might have some pointers for me in case I don't here back from him soon because I was hoping to get this swap I was working on sorted out this week.

Thanks everyone.

I would ask your local tax office if it can be sold to you since the "previous buyer" backed out. Prolly not. Then ask the original owner if he can get a copy of the title, or give you a limited power of attorney and a copy of his TDL. You can take that paperwork to a regional title office and get a copy in the original owner's name right then. Then take that copy to the guy and have him sign the title and 130U to sell it to you.

The limited POA and other paperwork you will need is listed on the dmv website.

PO got back with me and is willing to take care of the title issue. He's a bit of a horse trader so he figured I might come back. Truly a nice fellow so I had little worry about it. I just kinda had a What-if moment and I guess some days I can be a pessimist so I figure the worst, lol :zen:

Good to hear a positive nice person story. I've been thinking of posting one of my own but it has a strong racial lean.

OK guys,
Thanks everyone.

Original owner, if he is really the original owner, can go to courthouse and apply for a lost title...for, I think, 5 bux...if the deceased guy gave the original title back.

BUt if he's too lazy to help you...then you're screwed...you'll have to do the bonded title thing.
Maybe you can offer to pay him 5 bux plus a gift to help you.

Last edited:
Original owner, if he is really the original owner, can go to courthouse and apply for a lost title...for, I think, 5 bux...if the deceased guy gave the original title back.

BUt if he's too lazy to help you...then you're screwed...you'll have to do the bonded title thing.
Maybe you can offer to pay him 5 bux plus a gift to help you.

No problems, he's a cool horse trader of sorts. Does a lot of ebay swapping on different projects and stuff. He's already sent off by mail for the replacement title. He said he would have done the in person thing but unfortunately had a lot of business right around now (does family video stuff and the holiday season is prime time for that I reckon) but he had just sent off a couple days before we talked for a clear title copy on another bike he had sold some time back and got it back so we're thinking my title copy will probably be in by this weekend or early this week. Either way he was good for his word so no problems. I figure I'll meet him somewhere for lunch to swap and buy him lunch as well.

Back