• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Baggers?

Deleted....

As someone who's owned three Harleys, I didn't have anything nice to say....

Ha, I can take it. I did ask for your opinion. :-P I rode the FB6 after I saw you at the Freedom Dealer and it just didn't do it for me. I got time to kill tomorrow (long story) so I might try to see if I can find a Nomad and RK to ride again. A place off Hwy 10 has a 2011 RK with low miles but I kinda wanted the 103. FtW HD has an Electra Police but dang they want a lot of money for it.

I'm envious of your search. I hung up my helmet 3 months ago, but can't quite shake this habit. To pacify myself I surf the used inventories. Hurst has a nice 15 or 14 RK in red, and a black 12 as well. The nice thing about the 14's on up is they already have the heritage style bars. The bars on the preceding models were just not comfortable. I think the police bikes may also have the heritage style bars. The 103 would be nice, but I'm wondering if it runs warmer than the 96. Anyway, enjoy the search.

Personally, the Nomad feels heavier and less responsive than the RK. Just my personal observation.

Will be interesting to see what you think after riding them side by side.

Personally, the Nomad feels heavier and less responsive than the RK. Just my personal observation.

Will be interesting to see what you think after riding them side by side.

Man...riding two bikes side by side would be quite a feat! Especially two bikes that size.

Completely a function of the fork geometry I spoke of. H-D must have patented that setup or everyone else would be using it too.

Completely a function of the fork geometry I spoke of. H-D must have patented that setup or everyone else would be using it too.

Only the FL models have that set up. It is really great for low speed handling, but as speeds approach 100+, the handling is proportionally worse. They are harder to turn at higher speeds than traditional setups. I love them at slow speed stuff though. All of this is just my opinion. YMMV

Hmm, I don't forsee me doing 100 on a bagger unless I am riding in the SOA reunion.:doh: I planned on test riding a 15 and 13 RK but work got in the way

- as in I gave CPS notice that I would leave at the end of the month for a new job because I thought that was the right thing to do. My boss called 4 hours later and stated my resignation was effective today and to turn in all my issued equipment. They then cut my email access. The Wankers.

I'll have at least the next 2 weeks off so I'm sure I can find some time to do a test ride. :rider: One place has a 2013 RK with low miles at a pretty decent price so maybe? I keep hearing if you ride the 14+ after riding an earlier model, you better be ready to write a check.

I keep hearing if you ride the 14+ after riding an earlier model, you better be ready to write a check.

This is why I haven't ridden anything other than my '05. I've got almost two months and a bit over 500 miles on my RK. First Harley, first anything not sporty and I'm really enjoying the relaxed and comfortable riding position.

I was initially intimidated by the 700+ lbs but that quickly went away when I realized low speed parking lot maneuvers are just as, if not more easy than other bikes thanks to the low center of gravity and wide bars.

I actually ride to work now because the bags allow me to carry most of my work gear, in the past it would be impossible to do so.

I prefer the RK over the SG because I like the quick detach windshield. I know if I tried a new one I'd probably like and want one. Advantage of an older one is no financing, allowing me to seriously consider a big bore kit. :trust:

And yes, I've never been the type of guy who cared about what others thought (I swore up and down I'd never own one) but I'm surprised at the number of compliments I've received at gas stations and parking lots.

Its called King for a reason. They are just such a great all around motorcycle.

Well I got to ride a Nomad today and I wasn't too bad. The bags seem a bit cheap though. I also looked real close at the Vic XC Tour and I gotta say, I likey. Came off the stand easier than the others despite the fairing. Aluminum frame and lots of extras for a decent price. Gonna wait till Jan. and see if I can sell the RT and see what is leftover on the dealer lots. Kudos to Carlos at Freedom in FtW. I bought the RT from him and he was very cool about me riding the Nomad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kudos to Carlos at Freedom in FtW. I bought the RT from him and he was very cool about me riding the Nomad.

I think Carlos may have worked at Woods in Austin when it was still owned by the Woods. Tell him hello for me!

Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring or Fortress. Much sportier ride than the others mentioned. Comfy, better power plus revving power, handling and brakes. Much sportier ride than the others.

Perhaps the best one is the BMW 1200RT (water boxer) but it's more sport tourer than bagger. The Televerfront end is like power steering which makes it feel light but doesn't have steering feel. It's most expensive too. It's the fastest bike of the bunch. The earlier Beemers aren't in the same class as the water boxer.

I've ridden these bikes and the Harley, the Victory and Indian. The Kaw baggar too. Next best is the Harley RK. The others are heavier, less balanced and have even less cornering clearance. Stay away from the Harleys with hi po Screaming Eagles, they'll shake you like jack hammers and lose the "balanced feel" the regular Harley tourers have.

I am not partial to them because the engines won't rev and aren't particularly sporty. But the Harley has nice feel and balance. The Victory and Indian ride much a like, the engine won't rev but have good to torque. Not much ground clearance and feel heavy. The Kaw has nothing special and was the least impressive. The Guzzi will run rings around them all. The Beemer has standard riding position and offers the most features and is sportier than all. If the Guzzi had a standard riding position I'd probably get one.

anyway, that's my take from several test rides.

Last edited:
Its called King for a reason. They are just such a great all around motorcycle.

I dunno. I never got used to mine in the eighteen months I had it. Slow, massively overweight, terrible brakes, ungodly engine heat and unstable above 85mph.

MOTO-GUZZI-CALIFORNIA-1400-TOURING-AMBASSADOR-STATIC-SIDE-L.jpg

Moto-Guzzi-MGX-21-bagger.jpg

I dunno. I never got used to mine in the eighteen months I had it. Slow, massively overweight, terrible brakes, ungodly engine heat and unstable above 85mph.

Different tools for different jobs. The first few rides on the Road King I tried riding it like all my previous bikes; and in comparison it was massive, overweight, and underpowered.

I could consider my Suzuki uncomfortable, terrible in the cold, twitchy, and ridiculously overpowered and impractical...yet I enjoyed it in a completely different style of riding.

Your description is a fair assessment of most all cruisers. People like the "big" feel, the nostalgic appearance, more concerned with a leisurely ride enjoying the countryside, brakes are more than adequate for their designed speeds, and no one really cares to drive them over 90 mph. I really enjoyed my two HD's and my Dad's Vulcan. I also really enjoy the two bikes I presently have now. They all support different riding styles.

Looking at the list of your last bikes, I have to wonder why you ever bought a Harley in the first place, let alone three of them. Your riding style is obviously not into cruiser style riding.

So, what took you so long to figure that out? Just curious. Not trying to be smart. People often ask me why I sold my HD's. My answer is, "I wish I could have kept them all."

Last edited:
My HD is a mile eater. Just a very comfortable and smooth ride. I can hustle it along faster than traffic if needed, but when the road opens up, feet up on the pegs and just cruise down the road. It is hard to beat the bike for that type of riding. Most PD's ride a Road King or an Electra Glide for a reason. Kinda like Glocks and Sigs. They just get the job done.

My buddy has his CVO Street Glide for sale...Had some personal issues and it has to go. He added apes, D&D 2/1 with the left side dummy pipe, and a SE stage 1 air cleaner to it. This is the top of the line model, with some really nice bolt ons.
http://www.hdofdallas.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=2565765&p=1&vc=touring&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Anything specific you did not like about the F6B?
I really like the way they look, but have not ridden one.

I am only in the thinking process so nobody freak out just yet.

Got the new Interceptor and the 09 RT in the garage. Though they aren't the same, they kinda serve same purpose. I was toying with the idea of trading the RT in for a bagger. Suggestions appreciated, the ones I was looking at are HD Road King, Victory Cross Country, VStar 1300 Tour Deluxe but I'm open to other suggestions. No Street Glide, Road Glide or Ultra though the HD police bikes kinda interest me. Looked at the FB6 but after riding one, I crossed it off the list. I've ridden the CC and a 14 RK and both were pretty decent.

Looking for something to cruise on but capable of hitting the road for a trip. For that reason, I'm kinda leaning towards the RK. I saw a 2013 that I liked but know the 14+ has the revisions. $15K max price

I rode the RT today and was thinking, nah I don't need a bagger but hey it is the holidays and got time to kill as long as work doesn't call me out.

Anything specific you did not like about the F6B?
I really like the way they look, but have not ridden one.

Funny you should ask. I went back to reconsidering it. Cycle Ctr. of Denton has a nice used 2013. When I test rode one, looking over the shield was like looking over a vast expanse set before you. The cockpit is huge. :mrgreen:
Got it up on I35/635 area and the wind blast at 70 was pretty good. I hear a Klockwerks screen fixes that?

The sales guy told me to take it to a HS parking lot and do some figure 8's and I did and the 800lb monster did pretty well. I still like the looks of the rice bagger and it would supplement the Interceptor so I went back to looking at it.

MJCycles in FtW has a nice XC tour but we couldn't agree on a trade in value but very nice folks there. Meanwhile, I would HIGHLY suggest people avoid American Motorcycle Trading Co. in Arl. They had a RK and a XC I was interested in but Boyd, sales mgr., is a big tool and walked off from the table muttering under his breath. I guess they don't want to sell bikes there? :doh: They finally met my trade in value request but surprise their bike went up in price? I guess if it was strictly a cash deal and you knew exactly what their bike was worth, buying from them would be ok but they seemed pretty shady. Geno the sales guy was a nice guy though.

Carlos at Freedom Powersports in FtW is still looking for me, they just don't have anything in their used inventory that meets my specifics. They have a new 2015 XC but I would have to go to that specific location and deal with someone else and I'd like to give him the commission.

Anyway still looking. As I told the place in Arl. I don't need to sell the RT so I'm waiting till the right deal comes along.

MJCycles in FtW has a nice XC tour but we couldn't agree on a trade in value but very nice folks there.

I bought my BMW from them. I would agree ... very nice folks.

Well Santa is camping out here for a few hours before his run tonight
47c184f6e2e8dd2401ab34acebd967e9.jpg

Cycle Center of Denton had a good deal and came very close to my asking price on my trade. My Rice Bagger. 44 mile ride home was nice. I call her Godzilla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back