• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

little help needed

Ah, you solved the problem just as I was going to tell you the solution (I'm new here) So I'll tell you a story instead.

Many years ago I bought a used Honda XL600, at around 6K miles it developed a habit not starting and then suddenly starting up. Like you I thought it was the carbs, but I was also thinking electrics. It was a kick start bike so when it wouldn't go, I put quite a few holes in the soles of my right shoes just trying. Sometimes at work I would get people to push me while we tried to bump start it... then after swearing at it, it would start and run.

Finally solved it at 22K miles (long story short now). I was in the garage checking it out as it was doing it's non-start thing again, had the multi-meter on the ignition coil checking resistance for the 100th time and then it happened. The resistance just dropped in half right in front of my eyes. ***. perhaps my hands slipped off the connectors... ah there is the proper resistance again and there it falls again!!!

Turned out the ignition coil in one of the coils in the alternator array and it was partially failing. Replacing the alternator fixed the issue.

Now does this relate to your ex-KLR??? Don't know, but just for giggles, ask them how the ignition system works on a KLR... never know, perhaps it's the same.
Rich

I was going to suggest low deductible, can of gas and a book of matches.

You have the patience of Job.

Back