• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Willow City Loop... go north or go south?

Reaction score
In all the years I've lived and ridden in central Texas, I've NEVER ridden the ever-popular Willow City loop. I figured I should before I leave, and since the flowers are blooming it might be a good time to go (except for the crowds). My wife and I may head out there tomorrow for an Easter ride.

I've heard some say the view is more spectacular depending on the direction you are travelling. But I don't remember which way it is. Should I start in Willow City and head north toward Hwy 16? Or shoulld I go up 16 to the top of the loop and ride south to Willow City?

I'm sure either way will be fine but I'd like to maximize the experience since it'll be my first and last time on this famous bike road.:rider:

We always went south to north, it's REALLY easy to miss the turn off of 16 to go that way.
There are some low water crossings on the loop, so be aware of the dreaded algae slime tipover if they are damp.
Also be mindful of pulling off the road onto private property, the locals sometimes are not very nice about it.
This comes from some folks abusing the privledge and parking up whereever they like to take piccys of the scenery.

Oh yeah, when you get done with that, go and see wildseed farms, east of Fredericksburg on 290.
It's waaay cool to see all the flowers they have there that they grow for seed, big fiields of different color, and you can also buy seeds as well.
Be sure to take your camera!

http://www.wildseedfarms.com/

A couple of us rode it from north to south last week-end after looping around from Park Road 4 and Coopers BBQ in Llano; however, I believe that the south to north route offers a better and more dramatic view of the uplifts and valleys. Due to the drought, there's not the usual amount of wildflower blooms you'd expect this time of year, but it's still gorgeous. The low water crossings are not wet, so no need to fret over slick algae, just a few roaming cows between the many cattle guards. From Austin, don't take Hwy 16 out of Fredricksburg to get there. Go to Johnson City, then north on US 281 a mile or two, just north of the Pedernales River, and take 1323 through Sandy all the way to Willow City. It's a lot more scenic, twisty and less crowded. If you want to avoid most of US 290 and enjoy more country scenery, take Fitzhugh (CR 101), which becomes 2766 once you're in Blanco County, as it runs all the way into Johnson City. Have a great ride!

ride it BOTH ways. it has a different character each direction. it's only a few miles long. you could ride it both ways before lunch. have fun. it's rough...so don't expect to ride to quickly. in fact those who try to ride it quickly, miss the ponit of the ride.

Yep. I've been to Wildseed Farms a couple times. I've got a patch of their butterfly/hummingbird mix growing in the backyard now. Did the butterfly house tour last time we were there too. We may decide to stop again.

Buckbeak said:
From Austin, don't take Hwy 16 out of Fredricksburg to get there. Go to Johnson City, then north on US 281 a mile or two, just north of the Pedernales River, and take 1323 through Sandy all the way to Willow City. It's a lot more scenic, twisty and less crowded. If you want to avoid most of US 290 and enjoy more country scenery, take Fitzhugh (CR 101), which becomes 2766 once you're in Blanco County, as it runs all the way into Johnson City. Have a great ride!

Fitzhugh is one of my regular rides. That's kind of what I was planning... to go out Fitzhugh to Johnson City, then north on 281 to 1323 to Willow City.

I had heard about the landowners not appreciating people parking on their land so I was already planning on not stopping. Glad to hear the route is probably dry at the water crossings though.

We may just double back and ride it both ways or we'll come down 16 into F'burg to eat before coming home.

Thanks for all the input. ;-) :rider:

I rode Fitzhugh first for the time after the pie run last month , I need to go out there with my 950 and a camera , one place looks like you could do some serious air time east bound . and Willow city just go both ways , go early the dummys get thick during flower season , If I were a landowner I'm afraid I would be the one with a shotgun . SEYA

Chris the Loop is a regular part of my hill country rides. I go out 290 to Johnson City, north of the river to the first FM road, FM1323. Beats the heck out of that straight run out 290. It takes you directly to Willow City. Just keep going straight, and you'll end up on the loop. It's not really loop, you know. You end up at a stop sign. Turn left and you'll be on 16 in a few seconds. Left is Fredericksburg, right is Llano. The trip to Llano is prettier on 16, and just as you get into town, right before the right turn at 71, is a left onto FM 2323, which will take you through pretty country back towards Fred'burg. You end up at US87...turn right and you'll run right into 290 on the west side of town. I usually see two or three vehicles on 2323. about that many onf 1323.

The Loop will be jammed tomorrow, I bet, with the strong possibility of very, very long lines of motorcycle groups. I've been there Easter weekend, running the route both ways on bicycles...much faster than the motorcycles. I suggest getting up and going on the dawn patrol. In fact, you may see a silver Goldwing with two white helmets at about that time. Maybe. Alarm clocks are evil.

Have fun, the Loop, flowers or no, is one of the two or three most beautiful roads in Texas, I think.

Skip and I rode it last weekend all crossings were dry and not many flowers either, but it is still a nice ride and one that I always enjoy

If I were a landowner I'm afraid I would be the one with a shotgun . SEYA

I'd be selling drinks and taking photos of people with their bikes to sell to them later :-P

CycleCat said:
I've heard some say the view is more spectacular depending on the direction you are travelling. But I don't remember which way it is.
Having never riden/driven this (and being a wise acre of the Sleepy Weasel faction), the term "loop" kinda means you end up where you start...

So, shouldn't the question be "clockwise" or "counterclockwise"? :huh:

Inquiring minds want to know... :roll:

It is not technically a loop, but the name of the road everyone speaks of is "Willow City Loop Rd." It starts at FM 1323 in Willow City, and loops out to the Northeast before turning back West to hit Hwy 16. You can then run 16 back down to FM 1323 and head East to Willow City if you just have to make a "loop" ;-) Personally, I think the ride is overrated. I have been when the flowers were blooming like crazy. Yes it is pretty. But it is not really any better than many of the other roads in the area that are far less crowded. I think part of what made this road so popular is the little bar/cafe right there at the FM 1323/Willow City Loop intersection. It is a popular cruiser hangout.

Gilk51 said:
the term "loop" kinda means you end up where you start...
So, shouldn't the question be "clockwise" or "counterclockwise"? :huh:

Like T'meister said... in conjunction with some of the other roads it makes a loop, but the part that makes the feature of the trip is the unlooped part. :loco: Clear as mud? :shrug:

Cagiva 549 said:
I rode Fitzhugh first for the time after the pie run last month , I need to go out there with my 950 and a camera , one place looks like you could do some serious air time east bound

I know exactly where you are talking about. I've got it saved on my GPS with a waypoint icon of an airplane and the name JUMP. I've caught big air there. Its just as you break free of the trees after passing Pedernales State Park and right where the white wood fence starts. :flip:

Gilk51 said:
So, shouldn't the question be "clockwise" or "counterclockwise"?

All right! I betting we have another engineer in the group!

As mentioned, it is not really a loop. But since I like your observation, I tend to ride WCL counterclockwise. However, I think there is less traffic to hold you up if you ride it clockwise.

I like it just for the views of the countryside, but I think Scott is right it has become a popular ride because of the bar at one end for the crowds to hang out at. And in road construction the term Loop is abused often. Dripping Springs has a loop if you read the signs.

We were inspired by this post and set the alarms, let the house around7:00 followed the route I suggested last night. Once off 281, we didn't see ONE VEHICLE until we got out onto the Loop, where we saw single SUV on the way to church. Went north on 281 to the Enchanted Rock turnoff, took that back down to Fred'burg. Saw maybe three cars and a couple of bikes. Stopped for coffee and pastries at a DON'T MISS IT little place at the west end of town, right where the Enchanted Road hits 290, called "Fredericksburg Coffee." Pastries right out the oven, pseudo-crusty proprietor, much better coffee and pastries than the central one in Fburg.

Three guys on FJRs came buy as we sat there drinking our coffee...I wonder if I'll ever actually take delivery of mine?

We did the usual, after, down to Sisterdale, Kendalia, Devils Backbone to Wimberley, Driftwood to 1826, where we saw a horrifying aftermath of a little sports car having flipped, responders everywhere, looking under the car...not really able to see, as the car was upside down and completely flat...to see if there was anyone inside. Looked really, really bad.

Absolutely gorgeous morning.

I usually ride South to North so the sun is not in my eyes and you get that great view coming down off the ridge into the valley and then go on to Enchanted Rock.

That said, yesterday we rode it north to south because we came from Fredericksburg on FM 965 to Enchanted Rock from the west and then back to Willow City loop north end and it was every bit as spectacular. Dry as a bone out in that area though.

Voltar said:
All right! I betting we have another engineer in the group!
Guilty as charged. Will eventually have to get down there and trip this route (either linear or angular). ;-)

We hit the WCL on the Inks Lake camp-out ride a few weeks ago and saw very little traffic but almost no wildflowers either. Regardless, it's a nice place to slow down and just enjoy the rugged scenery for a while before heading on to other destinations.

Mark G said:
We were inspired by this post and set the alarms, let the house around7:00 followed the route I suggested last night. Once off 281, we didn't see ONE VEHICLE until we got out onto the Loop, where we saw single SUV on the way to church. Went north on 281 to the Enchanted Rock turnoff, took that back down to Fred'burg. Saw maybe three cars and a couple of bikes. Stopped for coffee and pastries at a DON'T MISS IT little place at the west end of town, right where the Enchanted Road hits 290, called "Fredericksburg Coffee." Pastries right out the oven, pseudo-crusty proprietor, much better coffee and pastries than the central one in Fburg.

Three guys on FJRs came buy as we sat there drinking our coffee...I wonder if I'll ever actually take delivery of mine?

We did the usual, after, down to Sisterdale, Kendalia, Devils Backbone to Wimberley, Driftwood to 1826, where we saw a horrifying aftermath of a little sports car having flipped, responders everywhere, looking under the car...not really able to see, as the car was upside down and completely flat...to see if there was anyone inside. Looked really, really bad.

Absolutely gorgeous morning.
Your FJR will show up and you will never be the same!!!!!!!! I still grin when I come out of a corner behind a "SUPER BIKE" and they can't run off and hide! I almost allways have my passenger on as well.
Steve

Mark G - if it was two blue FJR's and one silver you saw going by it was us going to Enchanted Rock on 965 and then to WCL.. Great ride but got hot.

Steve is right - the FJR is worth the wait. Great bike and I am still grinning after 1.5 years.

Back