• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CB500X Rally Raid stage 3

Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Last Name
Edwards
I just finished the installation of the Rally Raid stage 3 on my CB500X today. It was a fairly easy upgrade to do if you are considering it. I have a full shop of about every tool you can imagine. The kit is advertised as simple hand tools is all that are needed to install and I agree. I used my Craftsman tool kit in the plastic box that I carry in my truck for minor repairs. I grabbed a few metric ratchet wrenches to speed up the process in tight areas. I had to buy a motorcycle jack for the job. Harbor Freight to the rescue for a 65.00 jack with coupon. I started at 8:15 finished around 4:00. I had a short lunch break about 15 min or so.
I had installed the sump gaurd last week so I was a bit ahead of the game that took about 30 min to install. It really helps to have a flat surface to steady the bike. Rear shock install easy and straight forward. Only hiccup I had was I ordered an optional hydraulic preload adjuster. The kit didn't have a mount to secure the preload adjuster so I will need to fabricate a more permanent solution for holding the adjuster.
Front forks were easier than I had anticipated. I was a bit intimidated by this step since I had never taken a fork apart. I was fairly easy to do even though it was little messy. Front forks went fairly quickly 1.5 hrs from start to finish. The remaining time was spent installing new Fat bar system and moving all the controls over and rerouting the cables and hoses to they don't bind. I also installed steering damper pin for a Scotts damper in the future, and a few power ports for electronics. The most frustrating part of the entire job was getting the rear axle back thru the rear wheels the spacer inside the new rear wheel falls out of alignment and it's tough to hold the heavy rear wheel up and get the axle started and keeping the adjusters in place.
The Rally Raid parts are top notch and fit perfectly. I didn't have to adjust or fiddle with mis alignment in the pieces they all fit exactly like the stock part maybe even better.

No real ride info yet I follow up after I get a few miles on it. I will say if you are vertically challenged like I am 5'5" 30" inseam. I can only get my toes on one side down. It's taller than my crf250L. So if you like to flat foot maybe stay with the stage 2 with stock length suspension and stock wheels or splurge for the new 17" front and rear spoke units.

I can't get pics to post I get a message I don't have a security key. Sanyone know how to fix this issue.

Hi Loren, I really would like to see your pics. If you email them to me, I 'll post them to the thread.

pm sent

JT

Last edited:
I'd also love to know what that full setup weighs. Apart from the sump guard, have you installed other bash plates, racks, lights etc?

For photos, you can just upload them for free to Google Photos, then post a link to the album here.

Final weight with all the hardware and farkles is 428lbs. Still has stock exhaust which is about 11 lbs. I will change the muffler a little later it will take about 8 lbs off. I don't have pannier racks yet. Not sure I will get them. I have the Giant Loop coyote bag doesn't really need pannier to use it. I might get a set to mount a water a fuel rotopax for my Spring NMBDR ride in June.
The fat bars are a little to flat and a bit far forward for me to be comfortable for hours at a time. I'm going to try the stock bars and see if they will work for me.
The ride is smoother on harsh pavement, sure footed in the little bit of dirt I have been able to ride. The bike looks the part of a big adventure bike in my opinion.
I am going to look at shaving the stock seat foam down a bit to help get my feet on the ground.
With the hydraulic preload set a zero my sag is right at 50mm which is what the manufacture recommends. So spring rate seems perfect by the time I add some luggage to it.
If you are interested in the build I would check out Juan Browne well documented step by step build of the kit on YouTube. I watched them and only had to check the build insturctions a few times on the website just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Jt will upload some pics for me that I forwarded to him.

Mine is 2015 bought it will 211 miles on it 3500.00 in Delaware cost 800.00 to ship it. It didn't have a mark on it. I picked it up about 8 weeks ago I actually ordered the RR kit before the bike got here. It took nearly 9 weeks to get the RR kit. I did the Bart Tubless system so they have to send the wheels to Bart and get the coating done. I hoping the Tubless will make it easier for flat repairs.

CRF500L as me interested too. You can pick the engine up for 600-800 range. Problem is finding a crf250l on the cheap. Honda motors don't go bad often unless you don't put oil in them.

I've had my CB500x RR for about a year now. Install was easy with the right tools open space. Great bike!

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4293.jpg

There is a Josh W on you from Texas that has one too. We may have to organize a CB 500x get together.

Finally getting around to posting Loren's pics. Sorry it took so long .

IMG_2355-X2.jpg

IMG_2346-X2.jpg

IMG_2347-X2.jpg

IMG_2348-X2.jpg

IMG_2349-X2.jpg

IMG_2350-X2.jpg

IMG_2351-X2.jpg

IMG_2353-X2.jpg

Back