• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

92 Suzuki DR350S

Its been a while since I posted an update to the DR350S project. Been busy with lots of other things, including a dual sport ride we helped put together here. The Little DR got to help out with that project.

I had been working on upgrading the lights, in fact, most of them are LED now, the dash looks great with the mini-leds I put in for illumination. I haven't changed out the indicators for turn, high beam or neutral...yet.

Here I am trying to sort out the harness issues. During this portion of work, it also got a new key switch, notice the screwdriver I am using as a key!!

working-on-turn-signals--1.jpg

A tail light had been acquired from Ebay. The part number it was listed as did not match what it was supposed to be (a DR350 tail light). It turned out to be a DR650 light. I heavily modified the mounting to make it work, mainly because it was cheap.

dr650-tail-light.jpg

I had a new tire waiting to install, this old rotten thing has to go. While I am there, she will get new brakes, a chain and some cleanup!

rear-tire-and-brakes-have-t.jpg

I pulled the old tire and began the process of replacing and repairing.

tire-is-pulled.jpg

Lets get that old rotten tire off the rim!

get-the-old-tire-off.jpg

While I was there, I did a quick inspection of the cushion drive. It is still useable, and I just cleaned things up a bit before reinstall!

cushion-drive-inspection.jpg

The DR gets a new Kenda 4.50-18 270 for the rear this time. Decent enough tire for this bike and for the price. Not sure why the pic is blurry. My potato must have slipped... And yes the rim has a slight bend.

new-kenda-270---bent-rim.jpg

I also did a little paint work to make things look better. I like blue paint!

sprocket-beautification.jpg

I began work on the brakes. They were worn to the metal, but had not ruined the disc. I did some cleanup and installed the new pads. I also made note of some miscellaneous things that will be needed.

sort-out-brakes-now.jpg

It is amazing how a little paint and some new parts will make an old bike look good!

new-tire-brakes-and-chain-s.jpg

I finished all this just in time to do a bit of trail layout for the Texas Redneck Ramble - "North" dual sport event I helped with. It was still raining, and we had not been able to get into the off-road section. My KLR 650 was staying behind this time. I was expecting slick mud and there was plenty. I had a blast.. Sorry no pics. I was too busy. But the bike ran good, started good, and was just fun to ride. Not bad for its initial trial run after years of setting up.

tried-it-out-in-the-mud.jpg

I thought I had found a side cover from the DR350 I had rescued a few posts back. The DR350 off-road cover is different from the DR350S cover. It is not deep enough, and the mounting hole for the bottom is in a different place because of the battery box on the street version. I still stuck it on there for a moment.

found-a-side-cover-almost.jpg

I ordered a new side cover from one of the Suzuki parts dealers. I got an email that it was back ordered, and then it showed up a few days later!!!

Here is the latest pic of the DR350S project. I went out to help a friend learn to ride. She is riding a rescued 2006 KLX 250S. Since we were riding at a friends place in the field, the DR fit the ticket. What a blast it was too! Even did a bit of dirt-roading.

out%20for%20a%20ride.jpg

The DR350S runs and starts great, hot or cold. No oil consumption so far. I am going to pull the clutch cover off and take a look. I do hear a noticeable difference when I pull the clutch in vs. when it is not.

This little thing is a blast to ride, and the power is really decent. I have to remind myself that I am old, tired, fat and gripey. The gripey part goes away pretty fast while riding it. But, the other parts stay with me. Especially when you hit one of the jumps a little fast and weren't set up for the landing. Its ok, the handlebars caught me, I kissed the front fender while gassing on it, and..... I recovered without a crash.

More soon!!!

Craig

Last edited:
great project. I also picked-up a 92 350s this past summer. the paint you got looks to match well, where did you find it? (i need some)

great project. I also picked-up a 92 350s this past summer. the paint you got looks to match well, where did you find it? (i need some)

It is rattle can paint. I think it is rustoleum. It is real close. The difference I attribute to fading of the original paint.

I will look tomorrow and see what flavor it is!

Edit: It is Krylon, "True Blue". You might search the forums, I have seen posts about Rustoleum having a near match also.

Last edited:
Still regret selling the one I bought off this forum a few years ago. Helped eventually fund my current small bike, but man, those 350s are fun! I'd love to find an old one to tinker with this winter.

A little FYI and you may already be aware of it, the DRZ250 tail light swaps out with the "birth control" tail light from the DR650 should the need ever arise, the 350 looks great, would almost offer my Z400 for her.

A little FYI and you may already be aware of it, the DRZ250 tail light swaps out with the "birth control" tail light from the DR650 should the need ever arise, the 350 looks great, would almost offer my Z400 for her.

I found that out after I bought the "ebay" special! But, I only have a few bucks in the light and some labor, so I guess it worked out.

This little bike really has turned out to be decent. I have become quite enamored with it. It was chilly the other evening, and while sitting in the moto-cave, smoking a cigar and having a thirst quencher, I just stared at the DR350s lovingly.

My wife doesn't understand.... :rider:

this really happened.
three days ago coming back from a day ride JS and I stopped in Comstock to cool down a little, the dr350 was running great but when i blipped the throttle she back fired and something went "clunk" and she died.
I kicked and kicked (got the bruises on my foot to prove it) well it finally started with full choke, but wouldn't idle. I rode the 20ish miles back to camp and parked it.
that night during a shower, I got to thinking about the problem, well the previous owner had had trouble with the vacuum petcock and changed it out with a manual. The vacuum port was plugged with a short piece of tubing and a bolt.
Sooo backfire, bolt shoots out and hit Johns bike (the clunk) and lean condition causes no idle.
BTW after 110 miles, I have to switch to reserve. Rotopak saved the day.
:rider:

I found that out after I bought the "ebay" special! But, I only have a few bucks in the light and some labor, so I guess it worked out.

This little bike really has turned out to be decent. I have become quite enamored with it. It was chilly the other evening, and while sitting in the moto-cave, smoking a cigar and having a thirst quencher, I just stared at the DR350s lovingly.

My wife doesn't understand.... :rider:
Yes, I start mine lovingly also, come on baby,start, my leg hurts please, one time for daddy, okay sweetheart,at least pop, do something........if you don't start I'm gonna douse you with gas and....... that's it my love daddy loves you!!!!!!!

Yes, I start mine lovingly also, come on baby,start, my leg hurts please, one time for daddy, okay sweetheart,at least pop, do something........if you don't start I'm gonna douse you with gas and....... that's it my love daddy loves you!!!!!!!

Mine actually has been starting really good. Hot or cold, after compression release setup, 2 kicks and it starts.

I do run mine through 4-5 kicks with the decompression lever in/ choke on with it cold. Then it starts easily.

The mileage range is a bit short with the small tank. I am working toward a larger gas tank or rotopax setup.

I need to add the latest work I have done to this thread. Been too busy with other projects!

just a bit of exaggeration, it really just takes a couple of mkicks after the handshake.(gas on,choke 1/2 out,compression release in,6 or 7 kicks then firm kick and she usually starts. absolutely,positively no throttle.

Mine actually has been starting really good. Hot or cold, after compression release setup, 2 kicks and it starts.

I do run mine through 4-5 kicks with the decompression lever in/ choke on with it cold. Then it starts easily.

The mileage range is a bit short with the small tank. I am working toward a larger gas tank or rotopax setup.

I need to add the latest work I have done to this thread. Been too busy with other projects!
the big tanks make this little bike look terribly pregnant. I carry a 1 3/4 gallon rotopak on mine. works ok.

Back